Loquat saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboys703

Reaction score
Looking like it's just about loquat season here in Florida. Wondering how many pounds I should try to harvest from my tree to ensure I get a solid flavor contribution from the loquats?

Will probably use a slurry from a 3724 batch of saison I have going now. Most likely with a typical saison hop like saaz

Hey that sounds good, my tree is loaded right now. If you try it post back and let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

John

In How to Brew, John Palmer talks about a loquat wheat beer he once tried to brew. "4 hours peeling and seeding 3 bags of those little bastards for something I couldn't even taste!"

So use A LOT of them, I guess.

In How to Brew, John Palmer talks about a loquat wheat beer he once tried to brew. "4 hours peeling and seeding 3 bags of those little bastards for something I couldn't even taste!"

So use A LOT of them, I guess.

Hahaha, I'm seeing how this might be a problem. I only managed to get about 1.5 lbs off the bottom of my tree today. Still took an hour or so to seed them all. I'm hoping to do at least 1.25 lbs/gal I think. I might make this saison a partigyle and only collect 3 or so gallons of second runnings for the loquat beer. Will hopefully let the loquats shine

Going at it this weekend with a pair of extended hedge clippers to get the rest.

Hey that sounds good, my tree is loaded right now. If you try it post back and let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

John

Will do, but don't wait on me to get them down. Have had several friends that didn't get around to doing it last week and the crows took them all before they could get to it.

Will do, but don't wait on me to get them down. Have had several friends that didn't get around to doing it last week and the crows took them all before they could get to it.

Got to pick them this weekend. I do it every year with my wife. She makes loquat jam with them and it is very tasty. There is so many on there that even after we pick them the birds, squirrels, and other wildlife go crazy for them. There will be plenty left for beer, but I have other brews lined up and this will have to wait until next year. I thought if yours comes out really good though that I might give it a whirl when next years crop comes in!

John

Got to pick them this weekend. I do it every year with my wife. She makes loquat jam with them and it is very tasty. There is so many on there that even after we pick them the birds, squirrels, and other wildlife go crazy for them. There will be plenty left for beer, but I have other brews lined up and this will have to wait until next year. I thought if yours comes out really good though that I might give it a whirl when next years crop comes in!

John

I'm freezing mine since I probably won't get to it for at least a month or so. Even then I really don't need to brew but I do need to brew.

You willing to share that loquat jam recipe? I'm thinking I should have a bit left over once I get everything sorted

Sure, let me get it from the wife, and I will post it for you. Might be tomorrow but I will do it.

John

For the last few years my wife has been using this to make jam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CRHPNY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
much easier than on the stove stirring constantly, as it does this for you. You still have to boil the jars and complete the canning process as normal but it saves time and works great. Here is the recipe she uses, it is a reduced sugar recipe.

3 1/4 cups of Loquats
3 tbsp Ball RealFruit Classic Pectin
2 tbsp Bottled lemon juice
1/2 tsp Butter or margarine
2 cups Granulated sugar

Cut the loquats up into smaller pieces so when you spread the jam on your biscuits or whatever, they are not huge pieces on the item your putting it on. The smaller pieces make for a more enjoyable eating experience. Plus then you get more mileage out of the fruit in each jar.

It makes a great jam, might as well use the fruit from your tree and make something with it every year!

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I did a pineapple loquat tart saison. It was delicious. I used 3lbs pineapple 2lbs loquat for 5gallons

Last year I did a pineapple loquat tart saison. It was delicious. I used 3lbs pineapple 2lbs loquat for 5gallons

How much did the loquats come through? I was beginning to expect to have to do 1.5 lbs per gallon. Also, did you skin them? I've never bothered to skin any of my fruit additions before, and the handful I've eaten had the skins still on them so I know they don't taste bitter

How much did the loquats come through? I was beginning to expect to have to do 1.5 lbs per gallon. Also, did you skin them? I've never bothered to skin any of my fruit additions before, and the handful I've eaten had the skins still on them so I know they don't taste bitter

They definitely came through. I have done the exact same recipe with only pineapple a completely different beer. The color also gets darker with loquats. I did not skin them. I just pitted them and prossesed them through a sanitized blender then froze them. I used a mesh bag in the secondary

Back