Looking to Step up my system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sando61

Reaction score
I've brewed about a dozen or so batches on my beginner 5 gallon system and I'm looking to take my system to the next level. All of my brews have been extract but I'd eventually like to step up to all grain.
I'm just wondering what my 1st system upgrades should be (i.e. bigger brew kettle, wort chiller, etc.)
Any suggestions?

Are you looking to go nice and shiny or don't mind getting a bit ghetto?

http://dennybrew.com/

Here you go, this is how thousands of home brewers made the leap to all grain including myself, and it won't break your bank.

As for equipment upgrades, a nice kettle with a ball valve and pickup tube is a good place to start.

Welcome to the boards - this is your first post?

Have you soldered copper pipes before?
If yes - then scout craigslist and find a good bargain on a keg and put the fittings in yourself - if no - you are going to have to spend $$$ to buy anything larger than an 8gal imho

If you don't have a immersion wort chiller or counter flow chiller - just make one - they are quite simple to make and don't cost tons - find the thread on here - it is great.

IMHO - Fermentation Control is by far and away the most important piece to this puzzle. If you scour craigslist and setup an xml thread on your inbox - you can make that site really work for you - find an old side by side or even something smaller to start - the deals are there - you just have to be patient...

I use a 70 gal extreme coleman that I had lying around - it is really simple to upgrade them - and you can grow with it as you get larger batches in the future...

Think about where you want to take the hobby first - that is my best advice - if you got bit hard like me - I have gone from extract to full grain to 10gal batches then to fermenting in a sanke to closed fermentation and beyond...

There are sooo many great projects from this site - it has taken me years just to digest most of them... and what a blast I have had doing them!!!

Welcome to the boards - this is your first post?

IMHO - Fermentation Control is by far and away the most important piece to this puzzle. If you scour craigslist and setup an xml thread on your inbox - you can make that site really work for you - find an old side by side or even something smaller to start - the deals are there - you just have to be patient...

I use a 70 gal extreme coleman that I had lying around - it is really simple to upgrade them - and you can grow with it as you get larger batches in the future...

Will your 70 qt (I assume you mean quart) Coleman fit two fermenters side-by-side? If so that satisfies the ability to move up to double batch as well as fermentation control in the same move. When at home, I use the 6201 Coleman Xtreme. Smartest thing I've done in quite some time.

I think anything to make packaging of the finished product easier/more trouble free is the best investment I ever made. For me it was originally a bench capper...later my first Cornelius keg.

I'm in the same process as the OP but lost all of my current brewing equipment in a house fire. I've spent the last 3 months researching everything I can to facilitate the move to all grain brewing. I wanted equipment that will keep me brewing for a while before I need or want to upgrade any further.

What I've learned from the knowledgeable people on these forums and scouring the internet is as follows:

1) Figure out a budget and try and stick to it.

2) you will need a Hot Liquor Tank (HLT), Mash Tun (MT), and Brew Kettle (BK) and ways to control the temperatures.

3) You will need to be able to strain out (Sparging or Lautering) the wort after soaking the grain (mashing) to get all of the sweet goodness out of it. Your MT will have to have a way of doing this while maintaining tight temperature tolerances. This can be accomplished with a heated Kettle and false bottom or a modified cooler.

4) Always try to go as big as you can afford. If you even consider making bigger batches get kettles big enough to grow into in the future. 20 gallon kettles will easily do 5, 10, and possibly even 15 gallon batches but an 8 or even 10 gallon kettle can't do much bigger than 5-7 gallons. With extract you need a lot less space than you do for all grain. You don't create a concentrated wort then dilute it like you do with extract.

5) You don't need to have the best of the best. You may love the bling of the Spike, SSBretech, and Blichmann products but unless you're a hard core brewer that has to have the best, you can still get by with used, modified, or basic kettles. Many people here modify old kegs or new stainless pots from restaurant supply houses and coolers for their HLT, MT, and BK. Just search for brewers hardware or stainless brewing for fittings to build your own. But, If it's within your budget, by all means buy what you want.

6) Consider your workspace requirements. All grain brewing takes more room. Many people build "Brew Sculptures" to consolidate their equipment into a smaller more efficient workspace.

7) Get ahold of an instructional video of the all grain brewing process and watch it many times or watch a friend do it. I can't tell you enough how seeing it done will give you a sense of what you need and what's important.

8) Temperature control is the key to All Grain Brewing so focus your upgrades in this area. You can have the best equipment money can buy but it won't be worth a damn if you can't control your temps.

9) Think about your water source, filtration, and sanitation. You want good clean filtered and not softened water for brewing.

10) Come here and ask lot's of questions, there are more friendly people here that want to help than anywhere I've found!

I may be off base on some of my suggestions because it's all based on research and not experience so I'm sure some of the more experienced brewers will chime in on what I wrote above. But, this is what I've found to be the areas to focus on in my research for switch from extract to all grain brewing.

Will your 70 qt (I assume you mean quart) Coleman fit two fermenters side-by-side? If so that satisfies the ability to move up to double batch as well as fermentation control in the same move. When at home, I use the 6201 Coleman Xtreme. Smartest thing I've done in quite some time.

Actually - I just did my first double batch brew day this last weekend... It was a long day for sure... but well worth it - I did 20gal in a single day!

I have a system that I laid out for this - I start the lighter beer mash first then move onto the darker (lager vs brown ale in this case) and just empty the grains using my custom biab bag and then turn it upside down - vorlauf the grains out and then pour them back into my new batch - I use a stainless steel con-vexed into the bottom of my cooler. Take a look...

I may be off base on some of my suggestions

Nope - I think you nailed it - thank you for doing that post!! Well worth it for the OP!

IMG_20150113_095259_476.jpg

IMG_20150113_095334_778.jpg

BIAB is a great all-grain method of brewing that does not require as much equipment. That is the method I employ and am happy with the results thus far. Check out my thread below for ideas on equipment you might want.

Just thought I would throw the BIAB hat in the ring should you wish to consider it.

Best of luck

Latest posts

Back