Looking to build a kegerator from a freezer and need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dood56

Reaction score
Let me give a little background before getting to my question. I am a Marine currently in Iraq and was doing some simple homebrewing before I left. I just started out with the Mr. Beer kits and I am looking to step up to 5 gallon brewing. However, I am the type that likes to go all out if I do something, so I am looking to start out with kegging. I am wanting to order everything right as I leave so it will be waiting for me when I arrive home. I prefer to order everything from one site, but I know it is not realistic. However, I would like to get as much as I can from Austin Homebrewing with their upcoming 10% off sale. I am set with my brewing equipment so my questions will involve the keezer I want to build
After doing my research, I have decided the best option for me is to build a keezer. I will allow me the greatest amount of flexibility with what I am looking to do. Basically, I am looking to run 4 kegs, one with pop for my daughter, 2 with beer for me and 1 for wine for my wife. The setup I am planning is a freezer with the collar put on it so if I screw anything up, I can just rebuild the collar and not mess up the freezer. I will have a temperature regulator as well. Obviously I need 4 kegs. From what I read, I need a gas in and a liquid out adapter for each keg. I am looking to get two CO2 tanks with a single and a double regulator. Fromone tank I will run the double regulator, I will run a line to to a gas manifold to allow me to dispense from two kegs. I will also run a line to allow me to force carb and dispense the pop. The other tank will have the single regulator running to the wine so I can dispense it at 1 psi and not worry about carbonating the wine. I know I need gas lines and liquid lines. I also need 4 shanks and 4 Perlick taps. I am assuming I will also want quick disconnects to make changing everything simple.
Is there anything I am forgetting in the setup or do I have a plan with everything I will need? Am I being too ambitious with this or is this all feasible? Are there any recommendations to make this setup better? Any assistance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

I am not that familiar with kegging or building keezers, but wouldn't you want a different temperature for the wine? Beer and Pop would be fine at the same temperature, but I thought wine, depending on style, is served at a different temperature.

I built mine with a 7.2 cu. ft. black Frigidaire freezer from Lowes ($230). I'm very happy with it.

Here's my parts list:
Love TSX-10140 temperature controller (drillspot.com, $60)
(4) Perlick 525SS faucets w/ handles (kegconnection.com)
(4) 4-1/8" shanks (kegconnection.com) <--get longer ones if you're using a 2x8 rather than a 1x8
(4) Shank/beer line connection kit (tailpiece/washer/nut/clamp) (kegconnection.com)
(20 ft.) 3/16" ID beer line (kegconnection.com)
(16 ft.) 1/4" ID gas line (kegconnection.com)
(6 ft.) 5/16" ID red gas line (kegconnection.com) [could have gone with all 1/4" ID gas line, but I used the red line to go from the cylinder outside the freezer to the secondary regulators]
(4) Set of Corny disconnects, 1 gas & 1 liquid, 1/4" barb
10 lb. CO2 cylinder (aquariumplants.com, $81 shipped)
Micromatic primary double gauge regulator (micromatic.com, $62 shipped)
(Still need four secondary regulators...functional for one keg right now, running direct from cylinder to a Corny.)

Misc:
(8) quarter inch standoffs for repositioned lid hinges (Lowes)
(8) machine screws for hinges (Lowes)
(16) washers for hinge screws (Lowes)
(8) nuts for hinge screws (Lowes)
10 ft. weatherstripping for bottom of collar (Home Depot)
10 ft. 1x8 maple (Home Depot)
1 qt. Minwax Polyshades finish (Lowes)
16 ft. 14 gauge heavy duty extension cord (to wire controller) (Lowes)
Plastic electrical outlet box (Lowes)
Double outlet wall plate (Lowes)
Double grounding outlet (Lowes)
Electrical tape
Wire nuts
Beer nuts (okay, I already had those)

I later added a couple of old computer case fans running off an old Motorola Razr phone charger.

One tip: If you're using barb connections, try to use tubing where the inner diameter is 1/16" smaller than the size of the barb. You may have to put the end of the tube in very hot water to get it on, but it's not going to come off accidentally.

I am not that familiar with kegging or building keezers, but wouldn't you want a different temperature for the wine? Beer and Pop would be fine at the same temperature, but I thought wine, depending on style, is served at a different temperature.

My wife and I prefer white wines which are usually refrigerated. I will not be putting any reds on tap.

I built mine with a 7.2 cu. ft. black Frigidaire freezer from Lowes ($230). I'm very happy with it.

Here's my parts list:
Love TSX-10140 temperature controller (drillspot.com, $60)
(4) Perlick 525SS faucets w/ handles (kegconnection.com)
(4) 4-1/8" shanks (kegconnection.com) <--get longer ones if you're using a 2x8 rather than a 1x8
(4) Shank/beer line connection kit (tailpiece/washer/nut/clamp) (kegconnection.com)
(20 ft.) 3/16" ID beer line (kegconnection.com)
(16 ft.) 1/4" ID gas line (kegconnection.com)
(6 ft.) 5/16" ID red gas line (kegconnection.com) [could have gone with all 1/4" ID gas line, but I used the red line to go from the cylinder outside the freezer to the secondary regulators]
(4) Set of Corny disconnects, 1 gas & 1 liquid, 1/4" barb
10 lb. CO2 cylinder (aquariumplants.com, $81 shipped)
Micromatic primary double gauge regulator (micromatic.com, $62 shipped)
(Still need four secondary regulators...functional for one keg right now, running direct from cylinder to a Corny.)

Misc:
(8) quarter inch standoffs for repositioned lid hinges (Lowes)
(8) machine screws for hinges (Lowes)
(16) washers for hinge screws (Lowes)
(8) nuts for hinge screws (Lowes)
10 ft. weatherstripping for bottom of collar (Home Depot)
10 ft. 1x8 maple (Home Depot)
1 qt. Minwax Polyshades finish (Lowes)
16 ft. 14 gauge heavy duty extension cord (to wire controller) (Lowes)
Plastic electrical outlet box (Lowes)
Double outlet wall plate (Lowes)
Double grounding outlet (Lowes)
Electrical tape
Wire nuts
Beer nuts (okay, I already had those)

I later added a couple of old computer case fans running off an old Motorola Razr phone charger.

One tip: If you're using barb connections, try to use tubing where the inner diameter is 1/16" smaller than the size of the barb. You may have to put the end of the tube in very hot water to get it on, but it's not going to come off accidentally.

From what I can tell, I can get the keg parts from Austin Homebrew cheaper than on kegconnection with their upcoming 10% sale. I have most of the parts in my cart already. Is there any way you can send me some pics of your set up? I am not sure how the standoffs work and would need to see a picture. I appreciate the help!

I'm not sure you can dispense anything at 1 psi. I think you are suppose to use nitrogen with wine as well. and no brass, get all plastic or stainless faucet and shank.

you can run multiple pressures off of one CO2 bottle too....I just ordered a double body regulator from Kegconnection....

Two regulators on one line allows two pressures out of one bottle. I'm using mine to have a dispensing pressure, (8-12 psi), and a force carbing pressure, (up to 30 psi).....but you could set one for wine dispensing and the other for beer/pop....and not worry about two tanks...

you can run multiple pressures off of one CO2 bottle too....I just ordered a double body regulator from Kegconnection....

Two regulators on one line allows two pressures out of one bottle. I'm using mine to have a dispensing pressure, (8-12 psi), and a force carbing pressure, (up to 30 psi).....but you could set one for wine dispensing and the other for beer/pop....and not worry about two tanks...

Sorry, I didn't explain it well. I am going to do just that, but with 2 taps dispensing beer and one dispensing pop I will use up the two regulators. That is why I need another tank to dispense the wine.

If you put wine on the co2 you will end up with "sparkling wine" (carbonated). If you have the pressure to low, it will be a drizzle out of the tap... I think most people use nitrogen instead of co2 for wine or other "still" beverages. This will allow you to pressurize and dispense without carbonating. Something to think about..

If you put wine on the co2 you will end up with "sparkling wine" (carbonated). If you have the pressure to low, it will be a drizzle out of the tap... I think most people use nitrogen instead of co2 for wine or other "still" beverages. This will allow you to pressurize and dispense without carbonating. Something to think about..

Thanks for the help. I will look into a nitrogen system then!

From what I can tell, I can get the keg parts from Austin Homebrew cheaper than on kegconnection with their upcoming 10% sale. I have most of the parts in my cart already. Is there any way you can send me some pics of your set up? I am not sure how the standoffs work and would need to see a picture. I appreciate the help!

Sure... I'll take a pic or two as soon as I get a chance, and will come back and update this post with them.

Okay, here ya go... This is a side view of one of the hinges. The standoffs are necessary because the wooden collar that the hinges are now bolted to, is set in a quarter inch from the outer freezer wall where it hinges were factory mounted (this was done so the seals on the bottom of the collar and on the bottom of the lid would rest in the optimal place for a good seal). You can see the white plastic standoffs between the hinges and the collar.

cf09b5ec.jpg

I posted this in the kegging section and didn't realize there was a DIY section. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

Let me give a little background before getting to my questions. I am a Marine currently in Iraq and was doing some simple homebrewing before I left. I just started out with the Mr. Beer kits and I am looking to step up to 5 gallon brewing. However, I am the type that likes to go all out if I do something, so I am looking to start out with kegging. I am wanting to order everything right as I leave so it will be waiting for me when I arrive home. I prefer to order everything from one site, but I know it is not realistic. However, I would like to get as much as I can from Austin Homebrewing with their upcoming 10% off sale. I am set with my brewing equipment so my questions will involve the keezer I want to build
After doing my research, I have decided the best option for me is to build a keezer. I will allow me the greatest amount of flexibility with what I am looking to do. Basically, I am looking to run 4 kegs, one with pop for my daughter, 2 with beer for me and 1 for wine for my wife. The setup I am planning is a freezer with the collar put on it so if I screw anything up, I can just rebuild the collar and not mess up the freezer. I will have a temperature regulator as well. Obviously I need 4 kegs. From what I read, I need a gas in and a liquid out adapter for each keg. I am looking to get two CO2 tanks with a single and a double regulator. Fromone tank I will run the double regulator, I will run a line to to a gas manifold to allow me to dispense from two kegs. I will also run a line to allow me to force carb and dispense the pop. The other tank will have the single regulator running to the wine so I can dispense it at 1 psi and not worry about carbonating the wine. I know I need gas lines and liquid lines. I also need 4 shanks and 4 Perlick taps. I am assuming I will also want quick disconnects to make changing everything simple.
Is there anything I am forgetting in the setup or do I have a plan with everything I will need? Am I being too ambitious with this or is this all feasible? Are there any recommendations to make this setup better?

Don't forget the tubing. High pressure lines for the gas (which can be had at home depot or lowes for cheap), and 3/8" ID line for the liquid. You'll want probably 10 feet for the beer lines, 20-30ft for the soda, and a shorter line for the wine (maybe like a couple ft).

At your connection points, you may also want to get some 3/4" worm clamps to secure everything down.

You may also want some 1 way valves to make sure your kegs don't flow back into your regulators if you get backpressure. I don't have any of these (yet!) on my system, but it's something to be aware of.

As for your gas setup, you may want to simplify it a bit: You could run a single tank (I would say 10 or 20lb), with a single high pressure regulator set at 60 psi, then a 3 gauge secondary psi for your different pressures soda/beer/wine. Then just run a splitter or manifold if you want multiple connections at each pressure.

Good luck with everything! It sounds like one heck of a setup. :rockin:

I posted my reply in your other thread:
Don't forget the tubing. High pressure lines for the gas (which can be had at home depot or lowes for cheap), and 3/8" ID line for the liquid. You'll want probably 10 feet for the beer lines, 20-30ft for the soda, and a shorter line for the wine (maybe like a couple ft).

At your connection points, you may also want to get some 3/4" worm clamps to secure everything down.

You may also want some 1 way valves to make sure your kegs don't flow back into your regulators if you get backpressure. I don't have any of these (yet!) on my system, but it's something to be aware of.

As for your gas setup, you may want to simplify it a bit: You could run a single tank (I would say 10 or 20lb), with a single high pressure regulator set at 60 psi, then a 3 gauge secondary psi for your different pressures soda/beer/wine. Then just run a splitter or manifold if you want multiple connections at each pressure.

What is the benefit of having so much line for the beer and soda?

The fluid lines have to drop the pressure gradually to avoid foaming. The higher the pressure, the more line needed.

This is my setup: one tank with a primary regulator set to 35 psi for soda and feeding the secondaries, two secondaries with two-way manifolds. This gives me 3 pressures and five keg connections.

2113-img_0787.jpg

I strongly suggest NOT using worm clamps on your connections. They cause more trouble than they prevent. If you use quality tubing that it appropriately sized to your fittings, clamps are unnecessary.

I strongly suggest NOT using worm clamps on your connections. They cause more trouble than they prevent. If you use quality tubing that it appropriately sized to your fittings, clamps are unnecessary.

I have used thick wall shrink tubing cut to full length of the barb fittings from my job as a wireman. Using a heat gun with a couple wraps of gasket material below the shrink tubing to protect the exposed tubing from the heat gun while shrinking. I've never blown a line off with 60 PSI as a test after all connections have cooled to room temp first. No test with the tubing hot or else a big bubble and pop on the tubing like a bicycle tube filled in the open.
Worm clamps will distort at the worm screw body bunching up the tubing adding to a leak area, even with the smallest of worm clamps I have found.
In a pinch I have used app 20-30 tight wraps of .020" copper wire wound tightly down and back up over the first layer to back at the starting point then twisting the ends together. This also has been a cheap and fast connection that has passed the 60 PSI pressure test. By this left on for an hour while having a few biers waiting without any lines blowing off. The 5 pound spool of motor winding wire was handy so used, same results by taking a strand by striping out some # 12 or 14 gauge stranded wire or solid 22 or 24 gauge telephone wire will do also.

First off, I wouldlike to thank you for your service to our country, you guys rock!!! :rockin:

Secondly, you may wish to reconsider the wine, as most wines are served at a higher temp than beer or soda. And though I know little about wine above the advice that I have offered, my wife is a complete wine snob, and would never drink wine from a tap.

The only other advice I can offer is more kegs and larger freezer to condition, cold crash, or lager other brews while enjoying the ones you have on tap.

Once again... Thanks! and I hope your build goes off without a hitch. :mug:

What is the benefit of having so much line for the beer and soda?

like mentioned earlier, the pressure needs to be lowered by the time it gets to the tap, otherwise you'll have a glass of foam. The tubing provides that resistance. For beer, you typically need 5-10ft for ~10 psi. For soda (since the pressure is a lot higher, ~30psi) you need a lot longer line to reduce the pressure. More line = more resistance = lower pressure at the tap.

like mentioned earlier, the pressure needs to be lowered by the time it gets to the tap, otherwise you'll have a glass of foam. The tubing provides that resistance. For beer, you typically need 5-10ft for ~10 psi. For soda (since the pressure is a lot higher, ~30psi) you need a lot longer line to reduce the pressure. More line = more resistance = lower pressure at the tap.

So I need 10 feet running from the keg to the tap? Do you just kind of lay them on top of the kegs or how do you have them situated? Would 20 feet be enough for the soda? Do I just need enough line to cover the distance from the CO2 tank to the kegs? Thanks for the help!

First off, I wouldlike to thank you for your service to our country, you guys rock!!! :rockin:

Secondly, you may wish to reconsider the wine, as most wines are served at a higher temp than beer or soda. And though I know little about wine above the advice that I have offered, my wife is a complete wine snob, and would never drink wine from a tap.

The only other advice I can offer is more kegs and larger freezer to condition, cold crash, or lager other brews while enjoying the ones you have on tap.

Once again... Thanks! and I hope your build goes off without a hitch. :mug:

Thanks for the advice. We brew our own wine and it is nothing high class. My wanted the keg since we usually bottle it and then chill it in our fridge anyhow. She likes the white sweet wines. Not to mention, most of our friends just come over to guzzle my free booze and could care less how it is served. I am unfamiliar with cold crashing and still not sure what I need to do to set up for a lager/kezzer. I will look into it all. I still have a month or two before I head home.

Well, after everyone's advice, here is my equipment list. Due to the cost, the wine part is going to have to wait since I will need a seperate nitrogen system for it. This allows for ten feet of hose for the beer and twenty feet of hose for the soda.
7.3 cu ft freezer
3 kegs
Dual Gauge primary regulator
3 Gauge secondary regulator
3 Perlick faucets
3 4 1/8" Shanks with adaptor kits (tail piece, washer, and beer nut)
50' of liquid hose
25' of gas hose
3 gas disconnects
3 liquid disconnects
15 Stainless worm clamps
1 Faucet wrench
1 regulator wrench
Beer line cleaner system
Temperature controller
10 lbs CO2 tank
All told, it comes out to about $1100 total. Anyone see anything I missing?

Well, after everyone's advice, here is my equipment list. Due to the cost, the wine part is going to have to wait since I will need a seperate nitrogen system for it. This allows for ten feet of hose for the beer and twenty feet of hose for the soda.
7.3 cu ft freezer
3 kegs
Dual Gauge primary regulator
3 Gauge secondary regulator
3 Perlick faucets
3 4 1/8" Shanks with adaptor kits (tail piece, washer, and beer nut)
50' of liquid hose
25' of gas hose
3 gas disconnects
3 liquid disconnects
15 Stainless worm clamps
1 Faucet wrench
1 regulator wrench
Beer line cleaner system
Temperature controller
10 lbs CO2 tank
All told, it comes out to about $1100 total. Anyone see anything I missing?

Sure... I'll take a pic or two as soon as I get a chance, and will come back and update this post with them.

Okay, here ya go... This is a side view of one of the hinges. The standoffs are necessary because the wooden collar that the hinges are now bolted to, is set in a quarter inch from the outer freezer wall where it hinges were factory mounted (this was done so the seals on the bottom of the collar and on the bottom of the lid would rest in the optimal place for a good seal). You can see the white plastic standoffs between the hinges and the collar.

cf09b5ec.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I now understand what you mean. Before I didn't really get it, but that makes perfect sense. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.

So I need 10 feet running from the keg to the tap? Do you just kind of lay them on top of the kegs or how do you have them situated? Would 20 feet be enough for the soda? Do I just need enough line to cover the distance from the CO2 tank to the kegs? Thanks for the help!

I just coil my line up in ~8" loops and zip tie it, then lay it on top of the keg. Just leave enough slack for opening doors, moving the kegs, etc.

Back