• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for someone with a 1-1/4" punch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalFet

/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to make a sealable junction box for a heating element, and part of that involves getting a nice, clean 1.25" punch made in a blank steel cover plate. (See description here: http://theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements?page=3). I suppose I could buy the punch myself, but it seems like a waste when I only need a couple of holes cut.

If you've got a standard 1-1/4" punch like this one, would you be willing to cut through three junction box covers for me? In the interest of making this as easy as possible, I'd sent you the plates along with a postage-stamped mailer addressed to me, and of course I'd be happy to compensate you for your time.

Thanks!
-MalFet

Hello,

I'm looking to make a sealable junction box for a heating element, and part of that involves getting a nice, clean 1.25" punch made in a blank steel cover plate. (See description here: http://theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements?page=3). I suppose I could buy the punch myself, but it seems like a waste when I only need a couple of holes cut.

If you've got a standard 1-1/4" punch like this one, would you be willing to cut through three junction box covers for me? In the interest of making this as easy as possible, I'd sent you the plates along with a postage-stamped mailer addressed to me, and of course I'd be happy to compensate you for your time.

Thanks!
-MalFet

Green Lee is the top of the line for electrical stuff. I am thinking you could get one much cheaper than that going to Harbor Freight and buy a set of them. And if you are going to only use it for a couple of holes they will work very well for you

Or buy a hole saw and file any burrs left over. Not sure if uni bits will go that big but that might be another alternative

I would knock them out for you but I am moving and all my tools are in a shipping container. Yes my life sucks about right now

I was able to drill 2 elements holes with 1 1-3/8" HF step drill bit. I wouldnt be able to do a 3rd tho.

You're looking for a 1.362" hole right? Contact me through brewhardware.

Hmm...Good question. It's a standard water heater element that I intend to screw into a 1" npt female bushing (I've got both now). I'd like to seat a junction box cover between the two so that I can seal the electricals away. I was going off of kal's recommendation for 1.25", but google tells me that nominal 1" NPT is actually 1.315" wide. So, presumably, 1.362" would be about right, no?

I used a 1 1/4 radio/chassis punch , just like Kal recommanded and the plates are snug as a bug. I used a punch from Eastwood Company(~20$). Those plates are uber thin metal. The punch goes right through it. Now for the actual box, that is thick and you want something larger than the threads on the element. I used a 2" hole saw and a drill press. It worked great. I could let you use mine if you want. I let some one else borrow them and I was able to fit them in a flat rate 5 usps box. I also have a 9/16 punch if you want to borrow.

I followed Kals design and it seals great. A dual gang box with a water tight cover on one side. Then cut the back out of the box with a hole saw. Use JB Weld and "glue" another water tight cover to the side with the hole you just cut. Then knock out the 1.25 hole in the plate you glued). Insert element, oring, screw into welded on half coupler or use a weldless fitting.

Any reason you couldn't use the 1.362" stepbit for kettle hole + box-cover hole and be fine? Seems like people say the step-bit holes are perfect size too.

Kals reasoning was to make the hole on the plate as small as possible to assist with sealing and to make a clean edge. I followed his advice and have a few boil overs and spills and no leaks into my element box. So not sure if a step bit will work, but I know Kals method does.

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the offers and suggestions. Someone local saw this thread and offered to help me out, so I should be all set!
-MalFet

Kals reasoning was to make the hole on the plate as small as possible to assist with sealing and to make a clean edge. I followed his advice and have a few boil overs and spills and no leaks into my element box. So not sure if a step bit will work, but I know Kals method does.

Just FYI a step bit works great. I have built three megapots with Kal's element design with these. Snug fit, no leaks. I did clean up the hole with a file afterward. Of course it is all irrelevant since the poster resolved his issue.

Back