Looking for recipe for second 1 gallon mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
So, I am about 35 days into my JAOM and would like to make a one gallon batch of a fruit mead - either strawberries, mixed fruit, raspberries, etc. If I can use the Dole frozen fruits that would be great as well. I think I would like a sweet mead as well and currently only have bread yeast (that went for my JAOM) - would that be ok to use or should I get some wine yeast?

Thanks in advance!

Don't use bread yeast in anything but JAOM. Sure, it works, but it's a pain and you'll see the difference with a good quality wine yeast or the like.

if you have a homebrew store close by or can order online wine yeast is only $1.00-$1.50 a pack, save the bread yeast for dinner rolls and JAOM.

You could start yourself a simple traditional sweet mead, 3-3.5 pounds of honey in a gallon, water, nutrients, yeast. (Lalvin D-47 would probably work good for what you want providing you can keep it somewhere that stays below 69*F)

Then when primary fermentation is done either add fruit or rack it into a clean secondary onto the fruit of your choice. This is a good method for maximizing your fruit flavor and aroma. any frozen fruit will work if you like how it tastes, I'd only recommend making sure its not in a sugar syrup.

D47 actually finishes primary relatively quick if you take care of it (step feeding, aeration, temp control) I've had low gravity 1 gallon batches capable of being racked into secondary in 7-10 days

Fermaid K is a good nutrient for a lot of reasons, it's a good blend of DAP, organic nitrogen and a boat load of other essential nutrients for yeast PLUS it's made by Lallemand, who also produces the Lalvin line of yeasts. So you know that they have tested it on their own products and their yeasts like it.

I have all the ingredients and I was going to use the following step schedule:

1/2tsp Fermaid K initially
1/4tsp in 24 hours
1/4tsp in 72 hours

How does that sound?

I have all the ingredients and I was going to use the following step schedule:

1/2tsp Fermaid K initially
1/4tsp in 24 hours
1/4tsp in 72 hours

How does that sound?
If your batch has fruit in it, rehydrate the yeast as per the instructions, pitch the yeast in, then wait until you see some airlock activity, then I'd do 1/4, 1/2 and 1/4. With the first part only after activity is seen, then as per the schedule.

Oh and make sure you aerate at least once daily up to the 1/3rd sugar break (presuming you have access to a hydrometer).....

If your batch has fruit in it, rehydrate the yeast as per the instructions, pitch the yeast in, then wait until you see some airlock activity, then I'd do 1/4, 1/2 and 1/4. With the first part only after activity is seen, then as per the schedule.

Oh and make sure you aerate at least once daily up to the 1/3rd sugar break (presuming you have access to a hydrometer).....

I believe I am going to add the fruit after the primary fermentation is complete.

I believe I am going to add the fruit after the primary fermentation is complete.
Ah, ok.

I was thinking that fruit, or at least some fruit in primary, would take the place of GoFerm rehydration energiser - which has little to no DAP in it as that's (the DAP in most energiser and nutrient products) thought to be not harmful, but not good during early yeast development.

I use GoFerm for rehydrating my yeast, that goes into the must, then I start a mixed DAP/Fermaidk staggered routine after the first sign that the lag is over and activity has commenced visibly - which I understand is the recommended method.

So I'm thinking if you're putting the fruit in secondary, and you don't have Go-Ferm, then just rehydrate and use some boiled bread yeast so there's something for the yeast, then when you see a sign of ferment, use the stuff you have, as I mentioned before. I'm thinking that should give the yeast the best start.......

I use raisins in my starters. I got this starter recipe from a real nice and knowledgeable lady and have used it since.

1 cup water
1/4 cup honey
5 fine chopped raisins
1 100mg B6 tablet crushed and mixed.

(This should be put together many hours up to 12 before pitching into your must.)

Since you are only doing a gallon and don’t really need a starter but rather just want to re-hydrate. What FB said would be better. But the above starter recipe should give any yeast a good head start in any must if you choose to go with it.

Ok, so I am going to put the 1/4 tsp of fermaid in the must tonight. Should I mix the fermaid with a little water before putting it in?

Back