looking for input...on first try at brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i fully agree with you on the freshness of IPAs. but 2 months was disgusting? are you just exaggerating for effect? even Stone (who stresses the importance of freshness) has the lowest date for freshness at 90 days, except for their enjoy by beers. if it was disgusting at two months, especially if it's "musty," i'm wondering if there's another factor going on there.

Well first off 90 days is only 3 months and Stone has quality control mechanisms that we homebrewers don't have, so I'm assuming that buys them a little more time, but not much. They are also making assumptions that the 3 months is not totally at room temp. I'm talking about the beer sitting at room temp (bottle conditioning temp) for 2 months straight. Even on their website they advise against storing their beer at room temp for longer than a few weeks (specifically Stone IPA).

http://enjoyby.stonebrewing.com/fresh-beer

haha i wasn't trying to get you all up in arms. but thanks for the math lesson!

that extra month is a lot of time. i'm sure they do have control mechanisms, but what makes you think they're doing too much more than the homebrewer they want you to consume them fresh? and really is their beer going to be absolutely disgusting, as yours was, after that 90-day mark? and they do say that you can store them at room temp, but just not for weeks on end. so maybe you could just take their recommendation for their beers and apply it to yours and they will last longer?

either way, there's no need to get all cold and prickly on here, i was just simply stating that i've only ever heard of one beer deteriorating to disgusting at the 60-day point, and so maybe you're reproducing Stone's Enjoy By IPA, but if not, then i would personally be concerned as to why they are beyond drinkable. but i suppose you're not me, and maybe you finish your beers up before that two month point usually, but you have a couple that you have to toss out. i personally don't like to waste beer.

What if that's just a gimmick Stone uses to make their beer interesting?

Yeah, no worries, it's just a simple tip for beginners, don't let IPA sit on the shelf for too long, they go bad.

29.gif
34.gif
I was also concerned about boiling the bag of grains. I hope you didn't literally do that?

Latest posts

Back