Looking for fermenter ideas for 10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srice

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make the jump to 10 gallon batches for the brews I always keep on tap. My wort production equipment is up to the task, but I realized I have an issue on the fermentation side. My original plan was to buy a new 15.5 gallon Sanke. My fermentation chamber is a 7 cu ft chest freezer and the inside measures 15" front to back. The Sanke is 16". Anybody have any ideas of a suitable 12+ gallon container I can use for fermenting with a diameter of less than 15"?

I'm getting these shortly

1410220065566.jpg

Close, but the 50" girth means almost a 16" diameter.

I use these barrels. Retrieved from a brewery in ohio. They are the LME containers for their brew-on-premises program they have. I paid $25 per. They hold 15 gallons. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410232529.884780.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm getting these shortly

Yeah, those Curver barrels are absolutely outstanding. You can use them for everything. One of mine is a really small one that I use to put phone, wallet, etc in when I go sailboating. They're highly popular with the expedition crowd, throw in dirty clothes, soap, and water - put in the back of the vehicle for a few hours while driving over rough terrain and laundry done.

I use these barrels. Retrieved from a brewery in ohio. They are the LME containers for their brew-on-premises program they have. I paid $25 per. They hold 15 gallons. View attachment 222884

I found those through uline. They say hdpe and bpa free, but list them as not having fda certification for storing drinking water....curious if they are actually food safe....

I use these barrels. Retrieved from a brewery in ohio. They are the LME containers for their brew-on-premises program they have. I paid $25 per. They hold 15 gallons. View attachment 222884

how easy are these to clean? I have seen them for cheap all over craigslist in columbus, oh.

I am also jumping up to 10 gallon batches and looking for ideas on a single vessel fermenter.

you might also want to consider how you will be lifting 10 gallons of wort over the side and into a chest freezer. Personally, I don't see the advantage of fermenting in a single vessel and go with the 2, 5 gallon fermenter route.

you might also want to consider how you will be lifting 10 gallons of wort over the side and into a chest freezer. Personally, I don't see the advantage of fermenting in a single vessel and go with the 2, 5 gallon fermenter route.

Never planned to lift 10 gallons of wort - that is why I have a pump to get it in and CO2 to get it out.

I just saw these blue ones at the United States Plastics Website for about $40

15 Gallon Closed Top Shipping Container 14 1/2" x 26 1/2"

Says they are FDA compliant (and a bag of chips)

I just saw these blue ones at the United States Plastics Website for about $40

15 Gallon Closed Top Shipping Container 14 1/2" x 26 1/2"

Says they are FDA compliant (and a bag of chips)

Those seem to be the same ones as some lucky people are getting from their LHBS as LME shipping containers. (My LHBS doesn't deal with anything that large.) It looks like I can get one delivered for less than $60 and they seem to be small enough to fit.

Back