Looking for feedback on NY Brew Supply 50' IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattc123

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering picking up this 3/8" x 50' immersion chiller from NY Brew Supply:http://www.nybrewsupply.com/wort-chillers/copper-wort-chiller-38-x-50.html Their current price is very competitive when compared to the cost of copper locally. So far I've read a few positive reviews of the product. My primary concern is finding out if it will fit a standard 15 gal keggle(is it tall enough to clear the top ring)?

Has anyone used one of these in their keggle? Thanks in advance!

The vinyl hose they supply is kinda cheap and I had leaks. Once I switched to the vinyl with the reinforced braid inside from the hardware store it was good. The chillers are very well made. It's about 9-10" in diameter so it should fit in a keggle no problem. Unless you cut a very small hole in the top of the keg.

Awesome, thanks for the input! The diameter will definitely be fine, how about the height? That is actually my real concern (sorry, i definitely wasn't very clear in my post).

Matt, have you gotten this chiller from NY Brew Supply yet? If so, what do you think?
I ordered mine last week and though PayPal has shown payment, I've not heard a peep from them and plan on giving them a call but am curious as to your opinions on this one.

I ordered from NYBS on a Monday and had it Thursday before lunch in N. Central Fl. The stainless chiller I got from them is 3/8th'sX25 feet and well made. haven't used it yet but dont expect any issues a screw driver wont tighten right up if needed. I'm very happy with the product and the ship time. IIRC it was free freight off of Ebay.
Bob

Iirc, they do custom shaped coils. If you tell them the dimensions of your BK they'll coil it to fit in your pot. I have a 1/2 X 50 and the whole coil doesn't get submerged unless I have over 10 gallons in it. My kettle is wide and short and most coils are made for tall narrow kettles

I got mine pretty quickly. The one I received has the soldered garden hose fittings instead of the tubing that I ordered. I am just going to work with this one. It fits the keggle great but I haven't used it yet. I don't expect any issues, it's very well made.

I just ordered the 50 foot 3/8 inch brass model. It shipped 5 minutes after I ordered! I can't wait to try it out.

I ordered a 25' 3/8" copper one from them a few months ago off their eBay store. Price was competitive, shipped quickly, and arrived in good order. One issue I had that was mentioned earlier was with the input/output tubing and clamps. I went to Lowes and with the outstanding help from the plumbing manager there, got some compression fittings and an exit hose for ~$10.

I ordered a 25' 3/8" copper one from them a few months ago off their eBay store. Price was competitive, shipped quickly, and arrived in good order. One issue I had that was mentioned earlier was with the input/output tubing and clamps. I went to Lowes and with the outstanding help from the plumbing manager there, got some compression fittings and an exit hose for ~$10.

I bought the one with the garden hose fittings. Hopefully I don't have a problem with them.

I bought the 50' SS coil with garden fittings, and it works great. It sometimes will leak a little bit at the beginning where the hose screws on, but not very much.

Got a 50' several; yeas ago, no problems. I think that with shipping, I ended up paying 10 bucks more than the copper would have cost me.

To follow up, the chillers been working great! I now use my old chiller as a pre-chiller in a bucket full of ice so I can get down to the mid to low 60's even over the summer.

I ordered a 1/2" 50 footer last Monday, got it on Friday, cleaned it up and used it to cool my brew on Saturday. Shipped very fast.
I use it with a 15.5gal keggle and with a 6.5gal boil I have a few coils not submerged, but I plan to brew some 10gal batches as well so it should work fine.

I've got a 50' stainless 3/8" chiller from NY Brew Supply (and I know 2 other people who have chillers from them).

My impression is that the chillers are very well done and the tubing is unimpressive. I wouldn't consider to be particularly tragic considering the awesome price. Swapped out to reinforced tubing and haven't had a single problem. Eventually I'll weld on two fittings for plastic quick disconnects just for some added convenience (and so I can use a second garden hose to output the hot water off the driveway).

Back