Looking for Feedback: DYI Stainless Heat Exchanger Coils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThickHead

Reaction score
In my on-going quest to research/design/build an all-stainless HERMS I am looking for feedback from anyone in the DYI community that may have some experience building or using a system that includes utilizing a stainless steel heat exchanger coil in an HLT/HEX type design in place of the typically copper tubing version.

Specifically I am looking for feedback relative to the raw material used, potential sources for material, coiling process, heat exchanger functionality, and any lessons learned from the experience.

Thanks in advance for your time.

CIMG2820.JPG

Cheapest source is McMaster-Carr item No. 8989K98 $70.33 for a 50' x 1/2" roll.

It can be rolled by hand around a cornie keg or another stainless pot or something. You will need two strong people with leather gloves and some good concentration. Or actual coiling tools :D We did ours by hand.

The compression fittings are 1/2" tube -1/2" FPT Compression fitting (90 deg elbow) SS-810-8-8

Do a Ebay search for "SS-810-8-8" or swagelok. The search for swagelok will result in a ton of hits but you will find the cheapest fittings that way.

Here is a parts list for a totally weldless version (almost exactly what I have) that is set up for a chiller. Just change a few fittings and you will be set.

Built in Stainless Wort Chiller $140.27
Item No. : Qty. : Description : item cost : total : source : part number : website
001 1 Type 304 Stainless Steel Welded Tubing 1/2" OD, .46" ID, .02" Wall, 50' Coil $70.33 $70.33 McMaster-Carr 8989K98 McMaster-Carr
002 2 1/2" tube -1/2" FPT Compression fitting (90 deg elbow) SS-810-8-8 $20.00 $40.00 McMaster-Carr 5943K216 McMaster-Carr
003 2 1/2" close nipple $1.72 $3.44 Buy Fittings Online 27-4P1-1/8 1/2" Threaded NPT Nipples 1/2" x 1-1/8" (close) 304 SS
004 1 1/2" FPT x male garden hose $6.00 $6.00 big box store -
005 1 1/2" FPT x female garden hose $6.00 $6.00 big box store -
006 2 1/2" Stainless Steel Washer $2.50 $5.00 Bargain Fittings - Bargain Fittings
007 2 1/2" Stainless Steel Locknut $4.50 $9.00 Bargain Fittings - Bargain Fittings
008 2 1/2" Silicon O-ring size 211 $0.25 $0.50 Bargain Fittings - Bargain Fittings

Wow...Thanks for the near-immediate reply BK!

I appreciate the detailed information. I have one question though: Can that "totally weldless" version be considered weldless if it uses welded tubing? I'm not trying to be a smartass here, its just that one of my research parameters was assessing welded vs drawn tubing.

ahhh..... a stickler :D

I suppose not, but in my system replete with threaded fittings and exposed threads a weld bead is not on the top of my concern list. The drawn stuff is going to at least double or triple your cost.

ahhh..... a stickler :D

I suppose not, but in my system replete with threaded fittings and exposed threads a weld bead is not on the top of my concern list. The drawn stuff is going to at least double or triple your cost.

Yeah, very true on the cost aspect. In order to even justify going with the drawn material I think I would also need to utilize a tri-clamp type fitting system. The cost of which is agonizing to ponder, really.

The tri-clamps aren't expensive, I use them for all my connections, it is the sanitary welding and polishing that is necessary at every aspect of the brewery that is required that's expensive. At least for me, I would need a fully sanitary system to even start down that road, and that road costs about a million dollars.

Back