Looking for a GO TO IPA for my second extract brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballardinho

Reaction score
So, my first attempt at brewing (APA) just got bottled last night and I'm geared up to go again (ok...slightly addicted). I would like to do an IPA that is somewhat citrusy. Does anyone have suggestions?

I am an extract brewer currently and needs to be a 5 gallon batch size. Love Cascade, love Citra, Mosaic and even Simcoe. My Pale Ale was mostly Cascade, however, so I wanted to try a different direction.

Any ideas on go to IPA extract recipe?

My second brew and first IPA was the all amarillo ipa from the recipe section, I enjoyed it quite a bit and went over real well with everyone that tried it. I think the only thing I did differently from the original recipe was dry hopping with an ounce of ammarillo for about 5 days before cold crashing for a couple. As far as extract goes that is the only IPA I have done and used it as a starting point for my all grain double IPA.

My first ipa was the brewers best ipa and I absolutely love it! Drinking one right now actually. I recommend it.

My first brew was the two hearted clone from adventures in homebrewing. Extract plus a pound of steeping grains. 5 oz of centennial. Pure bliss. Can't recommend it enough.

My first brew was the two hearted clone from adventures in homebrewing. Extract plus a pound of steeping grains. 5 oz of centennial. Pure bliss. Can't recommend it enough.

Is that the same as NB's Dead Ringer? If so, I agree. I'm on my 3rd batch of it. First was a one gallon extract, the last two 5 gallon all grain versions. A great IPA.

Is that the same as NB's Dead Ringer? If so, I agree. I'm on my 3rd batch of it. First was a one gallon extract, the last two 5 gallon all grain versions. A great IPA.

Looks like they're almost the same, and I agree it's hard to go wrong with this one either extract or all grain. I brewed it the first time as my second batch ever back when NB called it Three-Hearted. I remember a big stink about the trademarked name, wonder how AIH is getting away with it.

Try the Zombie Dust Clone in the recipe section. Its all Citra hops.

J1N.... So, the Zombie Dust recipe sounds SWEET! But, as the thread is 129 pages long, just wondering of the recipe on first page is good to go?

Maybe this is more of a HBT overall question.....

Thanks!

Three great IPA kits that I've already brewed and that turned out excellent were the Permafrost India White Ale, Wil Wheaton's Vandal Eyes Pale Ale and the Kama Citra Session IPA. I've got two more on deck; Surly Furious is currently bottle conditioning and Jamil's Evil Twin is currently in secondary. All kits were from Northern Brewer.

Keep it simple...

1.062-1.068 OG
Full wort boil with no top off water

Briess Light DME (half of which is added at flameout)
8-10% Corn Sugar
0-5% Crystal 20, 30, or 40 (optional)
Small bittering addition at start of rolling boil, then---
---about 6-7 oz. total Amarillo & Centennial pellets (added during late boil, whirlpool, & dryhop)
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001 (or WLP090) yeast starter
Gypsum, if needed
3-4 weeks in primary, including dryhop
Bottle and wait another 3-4 weeks to drink

That should make a fine Ameriican IPA and it's extremely basic, which tends to work best for this hop forward, pale, dry style of beer.

J1N.... So, the Zombie Dust recipe sounds SWEET! But, as the thread is 129 pages long, just wondering of the recipe on first page is good to go?

Maybe this is more of a HBT overall question.....

Thanks!

Yeah, the hop additions are a bit confusing though. Its different for all grain and extract. i guess you cant FWH with extract, so that's the reason for the difference.

Any thoughts on this recipe from my LHBS?

OG: 1.068
ABV: 7%

6.6 lbs Coopers Light or Breiss Golden Light LME
2 lbs Breiss Light DME

8 oz 40L Crystal

30 AAU Magnum @ 60
1 oz Citra @ 20
1 oz Citra @ 0

1 tsp Irish Moss

1056 American Ale OR 1098 British Ale

Looks decent enough? Would you add a dry hop?

It will work, but if you want something "citrusy" then avoid Citra. Despite the name, it's rather tropical in flavor. Think Mango/Pineapple.

In order to keep the wort as light as possible, go with 100% Briess Light DME; adding half at boil start and half at flameout. LME will make the beer darker than DME. I would avoid Coopers altogether, but you can use Muntons Extra Light DME.

Go with Wyeast 1056 and make a starter. Decant the starter wort and pitch the yeast slurry into heavily oxygenated, cooled wort. Ferment in the low to mid 60's F.

Lastly, moar hopz!! And of course you would add a dryhop to a homebrewed American IPA this day in age.

Something like this:

30 AAU Centennial @ 60 Min
0.75 oz. Amarillo @ 10 Min
0.75 oz. Centennial @ 10 Min
0.75 oz. Amarillo @ Whirlpool
0.75 oz. Centennial @ Whirlpool
1.5 oz. Amarillo @ 7 Day Dryhop
1.5 oz. Centennial @ 7 Day Dryhop

...Something to think about, if you're not mashing anything, and you are just looking for a standard, refreshing extract IPA, then you don't technically need to boil for a full 60 minutes.

Not to hijack the thread but I have an ipa question. I did an ipa extract kit from Midwest called simcoe select ipa. It's alright with an abv of around 6. I just can't drink too many. The bitterness gets to me...which is actually what keeps me away from a lot of ipas.

Have any of you ever had the great Lakes brewing chillwave? It's an excellent beer coming at over 9%. There's no bitterness and tastes like smooth citrus. I would love to find a nice recipe kit for an ipa that has a big abv with no bitterness.

Have any of you ever had the great Lakes brewing chillwave? It's an excellent beer coming at over 9%.

I think Chillwave is a horrible representation of a good IIPA. It has a bad aftertaste, a bit sticky, lacking in aroma, and the flavor just doesn't impress me. Great Lakes makes a similar brew called Lake Erie Monster, which is a much better option at roughly the same abv%. I would also advise not choosing a beer simply because it's big and bad and high alcohol. These beers are usually sippers that are more difficult to drink.

I would love to find a nice recipe kit for an ipa that has a big abv with no bitterness.

It seems you enjoy sweet, sticky, high alcohol, full-bodied IIPAs. Some beers that fit this mold include Southern Tier Unearthly, Ballast Point Dorado Double, Sixpoint Resin, Avery Majaraha, and Dogfish 90, 75, or 120 Minute.

No bitterness however? Well that's going to be a stretch for an IIPA. Inherent bitterness is the main attraction of this style.

I think Chillwave is a horrible representation of a good IIPA. It has a bad aftertaste, a bit sticky, lacking in aroma, and the flavor just doesn't impress me. Great Lakes makes a similar brew called Lake Erie Monster, which is a much better option at roughly the same abv%. I would also advise not choosing a beer simply because it's big and bad and high alcohol. These beers are usually sippers that are more difficult to drink.

It seems you enjoy sweet, sticky, high alcohol, full-bodied IIPAs. Some beers that fit this mold include Southern Tier Unearthly, Ballast Point Dorado Double, Sixpoint Resin, Avery Majaraha, and Dogfish 90, 75, or 120 Minute.

No bitterness however? Well that's going to be a stretch for an IIPA. Inherent bitterness is the main attraction of this style.

My view and yours is the opposite about lake Erie monster. Give me a chillwave any day over the monster. I do agree that there is some bitterness just not like the monster. Monster has a flavor/aroma of malt that is much greater than chillwave. It's also much more bitter that it's not even in the same league if you ask me.

Any idea on a kit that is sweet, sticky, and with a huge OG?

To each his own. Everyone I've ever met preferred Erie Monster over Chillwave, but that doesn't make either party wrong per se since it's largely personal preference.

Any idea on a kit that is sweet, sticky, and with a huge OG?

I would devise your own recipe rather than relying on a kit for this. Look up clone recipes for the beers I mentioned above. You should be quite happy with that. Any reason why you want a huge OG? I hope you're not brewing big beers just to get f'ed up quicker.

This was my second IPA ever and it turned out to be amazing. The galaxy hops give it a tropical, passionfruity flavor and aroma. This is probably my favorite recipe I've made so far. I like bitter IPAs, so the warrior hops are perfect. You can replace them if you are looking for something less bitter.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/really-basic-galaxy-themed-ipa-462059/

I've also brewed this simcoe/amarillo IPA and it was very good as well. Less tropical and a little more citrusy than the galaxy IPA above, but still very good.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/simcoe-amarillo-ipa-239633/

To each his own. Everyone I've ever met preferred Erie Monster over Chillwave, but that doesn't make either party wrong per se since it's largely personal preference.

I would devise your own recipe rather than relying on a kit for this. Look up clone recipes for the beers I mentioned above. You should be quite happy with that. Any reason why you want a huge OG? I hope you're not brewing big beers just to get f'ed up quicker.

I'll check into those. Yes, I do like to drink usually one high gravity beer when I decide to get buzzed up. Why else would anyone want a high gravity beer? I suppose there are some beers that just taste genuinely good and happen to be high gravity. My favorite beer is Dragon's Milk from New Holland brewing. I would even prefer that beer had less of an abv so I could drink more of it.

Yes, I do like to drink usually one high gravity beer when I decide to get buzzed up. Why else would anyone want a high gravity beer? I suppose there are some beers that just taste genuinely good and happen to be high gravity.

Umm... the flavor, the aroma, the body, the complexity, and the experience of relaxing by having one large beer over the course of an hour and enjoying yourself instead of pounding back 3-6 smaller, more refreshing beers which could possibly lack in these areas by comparison. The higher gravity brews are typically more complex on average. Just look at Westy 12, Bourbon County Stout, KBS, Exponential Hoppiness, and Black Tuesday.

If you're making or drinking high gravity beers just to get "buzzed up", then I feel you've missed the point entirely.

If you're making or drinking high gravity beers just to get "buzzed up", then I feel you've missed the point entirely.

Missed the point? Really? I think what you're going to find as you walk on this Earth and get older and more experienced that not everyone is going to share the same points of view on the same things as yourself. Just like not everyone who likes IPAs like bitterness and aftertaste clinging to their palette.

Again; missed the point? I think you missed the point...on my point of view that is.

Missed the point? Really? I think what you're going to find as you walk on this Earth and get older and more experienced that not everyone is going to share the same points of view on the same things as yourself. Just like not everyone who likes IPAs like bitterness and aftertaste clinging to their palette.

Again; missed the point? I think you missed the point...on my point of view that is.

I don't think he was trying to be rude, but perhaps you have missed the point if your main focus is to brew an IIPA (but one that is not innately bitter)... and also to brew for the sole factor of getting bombed after just one beer.

You are correct that palates differ, however even your palate will differ from today vs. three years from now. Perhaps then your tastes will have changed to appreciate the natural bitterness that comes with just about every IIPA I've ever had and learned to enjoy.

No one loves IIPAs after their first sip... or maybe even after trying a few of them. It is an acquired taste, like straight bourbon, black coffee, or a nice cigar.

I was not trying to offend, and you dont have to preach about everyone having different points of view this is something I fully understand and appreciate.

I was merely saying that the kind of beer you seem to be so interested in brewing has so much more to offer than just a quick way to get drunk. Bobbrews hit it right on the nose a few posts back

There are other big beers that you can make if you dont like IPAs and just want a high gravity beer. Id go with a Trippel if you dont like the bitterness and flavor of IPAs. There are other high gravity beers other than IPA or DIPAs.

There are other big beers that you can make if you dont like IPAs and just want a high gravity beer. Id go with a Trippel if you dont like the bitterness and flavor of IPAs. There are other high gravity beers other than IPA or DIPAs.

I enjoy the flavor of IPAs. In fact I enjoy the bitter ones...just not as much as the really hoppy low bitterness ones.

Even if there was a chillwave clone that had a less abv I would prefer that over a bitter ipa. One or two are fine. More than that is not good for me typically.

If I were you, I would try and find a recipe for a DIPA (or an IPA with a higher ABV) that you want to try and make, but cut back on the amount of bittering hops at the start of the boil. This should help the sweeter, malty characters become more prominent while reducing the hop bitterness.

Keep any later addition hops the same to keep the flavors of the hops. 5-15 minute additions can remain the same as they don't impart much bitterness, if any at all.

I could be wrong, and someone feel free to correct me.

Or maybe look into brewing a barleywine..those are typically high in gravity and more balanced than a hop heavy DIPA; however they can be quite bitter as well. They can be very complex in flavor and quite powerful lol.

As J1N said, a Trippel would also be a good way to go with a higher abv and not as bitter.

Or an American strong ale, but those can be quite hoppy as well. Have you ever had Stone's Arrogant Bastard?

Have you tried Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA? Pretty easy brew and it's nice and citrusy at 6.4%, 60 IBU. Pale malt, Munich, crystal 75 and Nugget, mosaic and citra hops.

I've gotten close, still tweaking. It's what's regularly in my kegs.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have you tried Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA? Pretty easy brew and it's nice and citrusy at 6.4%, 60 IBU. Pale malt, Munich, crystal 75 and Nugget, mosaic and citra hops.

I've gotten close, still tweaking. It's what's regularly in my kegs.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have not. What's the recipe?

I picked up an expired chillwave 4 pack yesterday. Good stuff. I believe the dominating flavor is grapefruit.

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed is my fave! If anyone has a 5 gallon extract recipe, I would love to get it!

Northern Brewers Lakefront Fixed is a dry hopped red ale, but is a really nice extract kit you should try. I have the dead ringer conditioning right now, but the samples have been good.

Latest posts

Back