Looking for a extract/partial mash Pale Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabba

Reaction score
EDIT: Please see this thread for my recipe and comment https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=629351

Hello,

So I'm looking for a recipe for this as I want this to be my next brew, but I've noticed there is a lot of variation within this style. The one that made me love it was Southern Tier's 422 Wheat Pale Ale, though unfortunately that's discontinued and I can't find a clone online. I've emailed the company but I don't have high hopes.

I know the style can vary. I didnt know Laguanita's Little Sumptin was considered one as that tastes like an IPA or APA. I know other ones are more light and toward the hefe weizen origin.

Can anyone suggest something in the middle? Or happen to know or guess at Southern Tier's style?

Thanks guys

(Also this is for a 5g batch)

I have no idea on those beers, but that's never stopped me from having an opinion!

Southern Tier says that is low bitterness - does it have hop aromas? It also says sweet orange, lemony, and citrus. The description sounds like an American witbier.

I would use wheat extract as the base (which is like 60/40 or 70/30 wheat, I think) and steep some caramel malt (C20 or C10, depending on how dark it is).

I would hop it to about 20 IBU (?) and add a nice dose of something at either 15 minutes or 5 minutes, depending on how hoppy you want the aroma.

And I would add sweet orange peel (either dried or freshly zested) and coriander at the end, like a witbier.

For 5 gallon batch, probably 5.5lbs wheat DME + .75lb Crystal 20 malt

Bitter with something cheap and 5-6% AA (Cascade) with about 1 oz at 60 minutes
Add about .5 oz of an aroma hop at 15 to 5 minutes, depending on what hops you like.

You'd have to look up the amount of orange peel and coriander for a 5g batch. I would guess 2 oz of freshly zested peel and 1 oz of crushed coriander. Add it at 5 minutes.

I would probably use US-05 for the yeast.

Does that help?

I have no idea on those beers, but that's never stopped me from having an opinion!

Southern Tier says that is low bitterness - does it have hop aromas? It also says sweet orange, lemony, and citrus. The description sounds like an American witbier.

I would use wheat extract as the base (which is like 60/40 or 70/30 wheat, I think) and steep some caramel malt (C20 or C10, depending on how dark it is).

I would hop it to about 20 IBU (?) and add a nice dose of something at either 15 minutes or 5 minutes, depending on how hoppy you want the aroma.

And I would add sweet orange peel (either dried or freshly zested) and coriander at the end, like a witbier.

Add about .5 oz of an aroma hop at 15 to 5 minutes, depending on what hops you like.

You'd have to look up the amount of orange peel and coriander for a 5g batch. I would guess 2 oz of freshly zested peel and 1 oz of crushed coriander. Add it at 5 minutes.

Does that help?

American witbier sounds about right now that I try to remember what it tasted like. It was like a witbier with maybe.. half - 3/4 of the bitterness of your usual pale ale. I'm not sure about the orange peel but a small amount sounds good! It's been so long since ive had it and I can't get it anymore.

I will definitely use your advice if I can't get something close to clone of it

Boulevard has a wheat that is really hoppy upfront, but really low bitterness. It's kind of a surprise that it tastes so smooth when it smells so strong.

I honestly wish I had more tasting experiences in this style before brewing on. I'm sure I'll like whatever I make but I don't want something like Little sumpin sumpin, more toward the other side of the spectrum if that makes sense?

Laquanita's and Southern Tier's are the only ones I know of I've tried and they seem to be pretty different.

Lagunitas is 7.5% alcohol and 65 IBUs.

Southern Tier didn't list specs, but says low bitterness, and it's 5.something %.

Does that help?

I want to do something like this with about 20-30 IBUs.

How do I select amounts of LME and hops for flavor and bitterness? I know early additions are more for bitterness and later times are more for flavor, but do hop types affect flavor too.

I can ask you guys for a recipe but if I can come up with the basics to select my own materials I can do it on my own.

So say 5.5 Pounds wheat LME:
C10 (Is this lighter?) Caramel grain (Any other option?)
What are my hop options? I suspect I'm adding more later than sooner in the boil?

Thanks guys

Crystal/caramel 10 is really light crystal malt. Carapils is even lighter. Crystal/caramel 20 is still pretty light but darker than 10. Crystal 40 starts to get amber and more "dark" flavors.

If you don't like caramel grains, you can skip it or add some Vienna for maltiness. Wheat will give you good body anyway.

Can I convince you to use DME instead of LME?

I think you need more LME than 5.5 pounds. They come in 3.3 pound cans, so 6.6 is probably easier.

Caramel malt if you want, skip it if you don't.

Hop varieties affect the flavor, more in the later additions than the early ones. You should try Brewtoad.com to use their recipe builder. Or tasybrew.com.

Some would say to use noble hops (which are German and European in origin) - Hallertau, Saaz, Tettnang, and Spalt (had to look it up!). But you could use American hops or something newer like Citra, Centennial, Amarillo, Sorachi Ace. Mt. Hood is supposed to be similar to Hallertau.

Look up descriptions, and you'll see some are fruity or citrus, some are flowery. Some are piney.

The noble varieties are lower in alpha acids (AA%), so you'll need more to get the right bitterness. Saaz is often like 3.5% where Cascade is 5-6%. I use Willamette for bittering almost everything.

Latest posts

Back