Longshot Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samaral

Reaction score
Anyone enter? I did for the 1st time. Looking forward to the feed back. Anyone have any idea how many beers are entered?

I wouldnt consider this a very good competition at all to try and get BJCP feedback. There are so many entries, I doubt they give the scoresheets and comments any thought at all. I'd be surprised if you actually get the sheets back.

Plus, the stuff that wins each year always seems so weird and gimmicky.

In sign up email they said that we would get the score sheets.

You do get score sheets back. Last year they had 3 judges for each style judged, so that is 3 sets of feedback. I didn't get mine back until late September, though.

I don't know the exact date they are judging. There is a window between now and August 18th.

Last year they did the judging a little earlier in August. Expect the feedback to be somewhat delayed and you won't be disappointed.

BTW, expect harder than typical judging. Brews that I consistently received high 30's on in other competitions around the same time period barely made it into the low 30's, generally about a 6 to 8 point drop from other scores I had received. OTOH, the feedback was much more consistent and useful to me. Despite the scoring, I did get an HM on my Vienna lager, so I think the scoring suppression was pretty much even across the board.

This year, I entered three brews that I had not put into any other competitions, so we will see how they fare.

Last year they did the judging a little earlier in August. Expect the feedback to be somewhat delayed and you won't be disappointed.

BTW, expect harder than typical judging. Brews that I consistently received high 30's on in other competitions around the same time period barely made it into the low 30's, generally about a 6 to 8 point drop from other scores I had received. OTOH, the feedback was much more consistent and useful to me. Despite the scoring, I did get an HM on my Vienna lager, so I think the scoring suppression was pretty much even across the board.

This year, I entered three brews that I had not put into any other competitions, so we will see how they fare.

Thanks for the info. I sent in 2 beers. I have been working on both recipes and have them pretty close to what I wanted. This the the 4th version of the recipe. I sent my 2nd version of the recipe into a competition. They both scored in the mid 30's. Looking forward to getting some more feedback.

Plus, the stuff that wins each year always seems so weird and gimmicky.

Last year's winners were Belgian Golden, a Berliner Weisse and a Flanders Red. 2014, a Robust Porter, a Rauchbier and a Dunkelweiss. All classic styles and very much not gimmicky or weird.

Guy in our local club was a finalist last year with a chocolate coconut imperial stout. Not what I would call traditional, but not gimmicky or weird either.

Back