Longest it has taken to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pschof

Reaction score
What is the longest it has ever taken for one of your beers to carbonate, (despite the fact that it eventually did carbonate)? I am at 4 weeks now with very little sign of anything going on. It is a high gravity dark beer, so I expect it to take longer. But I have never gone 4 weeks and had so little carb.

I'm not worried. Just curious how long it might be.

My current porter is, I believe, in week 4 and it's just finally starting to get properly carbonated. The first couple of weeks were way too light on carbonation.

3 months for a 1.090 belgian dark strong, and even then it took another 6 to be drinkable. Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up.

Grav and temp are the two biggest factors in time it takes. And just because it is carbed won't mean that it still isn't green, and needs more time to condition.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Come on, Revvy! This was the perfect time to use that high-tech, fancy diagram Lazy Llama made up to demonstrate carbonation in high gravity vs low gravity beers!

chart.jpg

It's a work of art! :D

Longest it took a beer to carbonate so far has been my Roggenbock which took a couple of months. Basically my advice is just keep brewing and forget about them for a bit. When you come back they should be carbed.

i made a belgian strong ale, used 2 differente fermenters with 2 different yeast.

one took less than a week to full carb the other took 2 months...

I have a simple blonde ale that has been sitting around for 8 weeks. Last time I cracked one open, only the smallest bit of carbonation. I'm either going to stash the bottles somewhere to forget about for another couple of months, or crack the bottles and add a few grains of dried yeast. This was my first all-grain beer so something just might be messed up with it. Each other all-grain brew I've done after has been carbed after 3 weeks.

Back