Longer Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chemstudent

Reaction score
I've read that I'm supposed to let fermentation occur for 2 weeks, but I haven't received my bottle capper yet (and today is the end of the second week).

Is it ok to leave it to ferment for about a week more? Or will this cause off-flavors?

You should probably hit the search button and do some reading. People go months without any ill effects and usually recommend a month in the primary as normal practice. You're fine going longer.

3 weeks in the fermenter is the commonly agreed upon MINIMUM fermenter time to be sure fermentation is complete and that off-flavors are minimized as the yeast "clean-up" after themselves.

Jayhem said:
3 weeks in the fermenter is the commonly agreed upon MINIMUM fermenter time to be sure fermentation is complete and that off-flavors are minimized as the yeast "clean-up" after themselves.

There are really two schools of thought and this is one of the most debated topics believe it or not. Most agree that autolysis is a thing of the past, but using a secondary for clearing also has a firm backing. Regardless, you should be fine extending the time in the primary. As some above have said, some people have gone months without issue. I've personally gone 6 weeks without issue. But extended time in primary is reliant on pitching correct amounts of healthy yeast. If you believe you've done that an additional week or two while waiting for your capper won't hurt the beer and will likely clarify it.

Back