long time in the fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmichaell

Reaction score
So gents,

I read all these posts about not throwing out beer. Got it, I'll keep what I screw up. In saying that though.... I make a kolsch that tastes pretty good except that there is a weird bitter aftertaste to it that just isn't beer like. Funny thing is, this is the second batch of beer (the first being a wheat beer) that has this aftertaste. On top of that, while bottleing it, I realized that I never added the extra water to the primary, so I got about half the bottles that I was supposed to. Kinda dumb, but it didn't taste any different for the mishap. So, long story this is turning into. You all talk about waiting and waiting and how it should turn out better after all that waiting. So I took a trip to Afghanistan while I wait on my beer. I will be coming home in a few weeks and have about half my brew left in bottles in the fridge where it has sat for the last 7 months. Should I, a) drink it and be happy, b) put it somewhere room temp for a few weeks, or c) going from cold to warm to cold will make it worse?

Don't worry, I won't throw it out. Just wondering what ya'll think.

Thanks,
Dave

I think conditioning should take place at room temperature for at least a few weeks. When it's in the fridge, the yeast can go dormant and not do it's job effectively.

You might also consider posting your recipe and your process. Hopefully, you kept good notes. That way, someone smarter than I am should be able to help.

Back