Local Stores Near Pottstown PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

484dan

Reaction score
I live in the Pottstown Area of PA and I was wondering if anybody knows of a good place to get ingredients, caps, and miscellaneous items esential to home brewing...

I used to live in Stinktown... I mean Pottstown (no offence:)... Gilbertsville is much nicer), but only for 2 years. I've been to Keystone Homebrew. They have a pretty wide selection and good service. According to the White Labs site, there's a homebrew store in Reading, but I'd call before going to make sure it still carries homebrew supplies. At worst you could probably get a CO2 tank filled there:cross::

Universal Carbonic Gas
614 Gregg Avenue
Reading, PA 19611
610-372-2565

I go to the Montgomeryville Keystone as well. Good selection and service. Can't help you with anything closer to Pottstown though.

Keystone is probably the closest to me, about a 15-20 minute cruise, but I might be moving down to Philly at some point, so it's good to know they have a brew place (not one, but two, in fact). I guess every major city has a LHBS, except for ones in those draconian states where brewing is illegal.

I live in Reading and have always gone out to Keystone in Bethlehem. I have heard about the place here (Universal Carbonic Gas Co.), but thought that they mainly supplied kegs, Co2, etc...

However, I just did a quick search and found this: Universal Carbonic Gas Co, Reading PA 19611 -- MerchantCircle.com

Says they have, "Refrigerator Conversion Kits, Faucets, Taps, Regulators, Home Brewing Supplies, Hoses, Commercial & Residential Beer Tapping Equip, Co2, Gas Cylinders Filled While You Wait, Dry Ice, Wine Kits, Taps Hoses Etc"

Might be worth the call/trip out. I'll try to get out there tomorrow, if I can I'll let you know how it looks.

Just got back from Universal Carbonic Gas in Reading. They do sell beer/wine making supplies, however not really any brewing equipment, and they seem to focus a little more on wine. They have a decent selection of hops, a good selection of White Labs yeast, and a lot of the Brewers Best Extract kits (I picked up the German Alt in case the ingredients for my Chocolate Stout don't arrive by Sunday :D ). They also have a half decent selection of grains.

This is not the place to go for service or advice. I'm not sure if they were busy doing something in their office, but I felt like I wasn't supposed to be in the store. So if you're looking for a place with a staff that can give tips and tricks, you're best off going to Keystone.

But, overall, its a decent place if you're looking for something quick - extra yeast/hops, a few more grains, an extract kit, and it's not too far from Pottstown.

Hope this helps!

Not sure if this thread is still alive or not, but my neighbor said he saw a store opening on ridge off the santago exit. I have not been down there to check it out, but live in conventry and would love a store that close.

There is a place that just opened up off Sanatoga called Craft Ale House. Not a homebrew supply shop, but a great restaurant/bar.

Went down there on the grand opening in December and was incredibly impressed with the selection of beers on tap and in the fridge. Did a mix and match sixer on my way out and they took 20% off of it! And I must add, being someone who cooks food like they do for a living, I would highly recommend them for good meal.

Okay, that may have been off topic, but I had to get my two cents in about that place. If that is the place that you heard about, definitely go check them out just from a beer lovers stand point. If that wasn't the place please let me know since the Sanatoga exit isn't too far on 422 for me.

I'd love to know of a lhbs if there is one opening up. I live near keystone, but I drive that way through Sanatoga way more than I am in Montgomeryville.

BTW, if you need co2 or any other gas supplies. My company

John S. Posen Inc. is in Blue Bell. No brewing supplies, but we might get into that. We do have any compressed gas cylinder(co2, o2 etc), and regulator, in any size you could imagine.

Sorry for the self promotion, but times are hard in this day and age, and we always love new customers. You will not find better service or more knowledge about what we do in the area. Thats a fact.

Back