Little Beer Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moby

I need more gadgets....
Reaction score
So I've been storing my ever increasing quantity of beer-gear in my downstairs coat closet. It worked well….built some shelves, stacked some gear….sweet, right? Well, circumstances have changed. SWMBO decided that it was time for the gear to go….we tossed around several ideas including building a bigger shed, digging out under our current 25 year old deck and donating all the gear to the Salvation Army (just kidding). Then, she came up with the brilliant idea…..let's tear down the old deck, and build a deck with a roof….then you can have space inside the screened area for your gear! BRILLIANT! Well, I knew it wasn't going to be a brew-room a la some of the awesome setups that folks have put together here…but it's one small step.

So, below, I've got some pics that I've taken along the way….i'm still working on the setup although i'm almost done (SWMBO came down with a temporary condition that eliminated her ability to lift heavy objects, or be near pressure treated lumber, so I was doing this with very little help!)….she's better now….must have been just a 9-month thing! ;)

So, here's the progress…..

IMG_0347.jpg

Old Deck

DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1061.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1093.jpg

DSCF1104.jpg

DSCF2060.jpg

Measure twice....don't piss off the in-laws.

DSCF2063.jpg

So I've been storing my ever increasing quantity of beer-gear in my downstairs coat closet. It worked well….built some shelves, stacked some gear….sweet, right? Well, circumstances have changed. SWMBO decided that it was time for the gear to go….we tossed around several ideas including building a bigger shed, digging out under our current 25 year old deck and donating all the gear to the Salvation Army (just kidding). Then, she came up with the brilliant idea…..let's tear down the old deck, and build a deck with a roof….then you can have space inside the screened area for your gear! BRILLIANT! Well, I knew it wasn't going to be a brew-room a la some of the awesome setups that folks have put together here…but it's one small step.

So, below, I've got some pics that I've taken along the way….i'm still working on the setup although i'm almost done (SWMBO came down with a temporary condition that eliminated her ability to lift heavy objects, or be near pressure treated lumber, so I was doing this with very little help!)….she's better now….must have been just a 9-month thing! ;)

So, here's the progress…..

IMG_0347.jpg

Old Deck

DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1061.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1093.jpg

DSCF1104.jpg

DSCF2060.jpg

Measure twice....don't piss off the in-laws.

DSCF2064.jpg

=fail
BTW it looks great, I can't wait to see the finished project!

Looks sweet man! When I first started reading the text I though your were going to post a pic of one of those cheapo canopy type deals with your brew gear underneath it. That looks like an awesome space to store your brew gear, as well as brew if you use an outdoor burner. So the entire exterior will be screened in?

Looks sweet man! When I first started reading the text I though your were going to post a pic of one of those cheapo canopy type deals with your brew gear underneath it. That looks like an awesome space to store your brew gear, as well as brew if you use an outdoor burner. So the entire exterior will be screened in?

The plan is to screen in the whole thing. This will allow a more comfortable brewing session during the spring when the 'sketers get bad. I'll actually be putting a full size freezer in the room to hold the fermenters and then stacking on the gear in the rest of the space....seems much smaller than what I had originally envisioned, but....

Sweet, looking forward to more pictures. P.S. I dig the color of your house.

Thanks! I hated it when we bought the house...thought it looked ridiculous. But, it's grown on me and we JUST repainted the house with the same color....

Then, she came up with the brilliant idea…..let's tear down the old deck, and build a deck with a roof….then you can have space inside the screened area for your gear! BRILLIANT!

Sure.... until she takes that space away from you too!! ;)

J/K nice work!

So, I got a little busy with work and didn't get many pictures taken during the rest of the build, but, here they are:

Room sided….needs cleaning and paint, but only when it's a little warmer.
DSCF1291.jpg

Nice wide 36" steel door - reinforced door frame
DSCF1292.jpg

Inside right wall where shelves will go….
DSCF1294.jpg

Wow….a junk pile (how embarrassing!) ;)
DSCF2075.jpg

The space for the upright freezer - there will be enough space beside the freezer for a sliding peg-board that will hold tubing and fittings, while the space above the freezer will hold either empty cornies, or I may make it into a little fermentation chamber.
DSCF2077.jpg

Shelves going in.
DSCF2078.jpg

DSCF2079.jpg

I've got most of my gear in there now...have to do some final woodworking and some clean up and then put in the sliding fitting shelves and a few drawers here and there. Freezer is in there (more pics coming) and my B3 conical fits like a champ.

Now, if I could only get some time to BREW!!!!

Shelf over the freezer
DSCF2080.jpg

Back