Liquid left in pump hoses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gun_shy

Reaction score
Now that I am in to my new place, I've finally started to use all of the brew equipment I built. Right now I have a single march pump that I am using for transfers. I am still getting the hang of the pump and I've noticed that a fair amount of liquid is always left in the hose lines. What is the best way to reduce or eliminate the waste?

I pinch the ends of the hoses near the Cam Lock, remove it and dump the liquid in the hose into the proper vessel.

I was thinking of adding a pneumatic port before the pump so that I can close off the source, pressurize the line forcing the liquid out. That is, only if there is no good way of removing the liquid completely with the pump itself.

I made my hoses as short as possible. I bet I 'waste' less than 2 cups of wort during my brewing day. I can live with that.

The quantity of wort left in the hoses is likely much less than you think it is. You can very easily calculate the volume. Some wort can be recovered by pinching off hoses and such, but I don't go to a lot of trouble for such small losses. I intentionally brew a minimum 6 gallon batch size to ensure that I get at least a full 5 gallons in the keg. Often I will have enough beer to fill a 2 liter PET bottle in addition to the keg.

You can always "flush" the hoses by pumping very briefly from your HLT to the kettle to get the last few ounces of wort out. Just a thought.

Back