Line Cleaning - Let's talk options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because this is a technical forum, and not a social forum, please limit posts to useful, helpful, on-topic comments. I know some of you are champing at the bit to get in a few more snide comments and jokes, but please keep them to yourself.

What we want is a well-mannered discussion of the topic at hand.

I can also say with great confidence that the resistance through my ultra smooth PET lined tubing is much much lower. Have to use 14' of line to get the same pour I got with 8' of vinyl.

I doubt that you get the same pour with 14' you got with 8'. I doubt you use ultra smooth PET. LOL, whatever man, your doubts are not my concern.

Because this is a technical forum, and not a social forum, please limit posts to useful, helpful, on-topic comments. I know some of you are champing at the bit to get in a few more snide comments and jokes, but please keep them to yourself.

What we want is a well-mannered discussion of the topic at hand.

This thread has clearly run whatever course its destiny held.

Nuke it from orbit....

Cheers! (And make the rubble bounce ;))

I doubt that you get the same pour with 14' you got with 8'. I doubt you use ultra smooth PET. LOL, whatever man, your doubts are not my concern.

PET lined barrier line definitely has a different friction coefficient than vinyl line.

http://www.draughtquality.org/ said:
Barrier tubing has a “glass-smooth” lining that inhibits beer or mineral stone deposits and microbial growth to maintain beer freshness. Its properties make it the only industry-approved beer line for long-draw systems

Want to REALLY make this thread go down the rabbit hole? I think this is the same source as the 2gpm.

Brewers Association draught beer quality manual said:
This [polyethyl vinyl]relatively porous material allows oxygen ingress, carbon dioxide to escape, and makes cleaning difficult, resulting in stale, flat, and potentially tainted beer in the lines. Today, you may find blue and red polyethylene tubing carrying glycol from and to your glycol power pack; this is the only recommended use for polyethylene tubing
(warning this quote is about long draw and out of context:fro:)

I read through a portion of that manual, and most of it does not apply to the typical homebrewers system but to commercial operations.

As previously mentioned, I use Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra barrier tubing (PET lined) as do many others on this forum. The Draught Quality Manual you seem to be such a fan of indicates that barrier tubing has much less restriction than vinyl...

http://www.draughtquality.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/BeerTubing.pdf

The DQM also seems to think it's a pretty good product, but you go on ahead and keep using (and replacing) your vinyl lines constantly.

DQM said:
Barrier tubing has a “glass-smooth” lining that inhibits
beer or mineral stone deposits and microbial growth to
maintain beer freshness. Its properties make it the only
industry-approved beer line for long-draw systems.

Edit:

Dammit jddevinn! Guess I'm a bit slow today...

I'm sorry I missed this thread until now... I needed to bring popcorn.

I use 3/16" LDPE, 23 cents a foot or less, and changed it about once a year. At that point if beerstone starts to develop it's not so much and I get rid of it that way. Yes it's trick to put 3/16 LDPE on a 1/4" barb, but with the proper technique and a heat gun, it actually seals up really well.

Despite that I think I'd like to do a line cleaner myself instead of using a keg to run StarSan through between changes. (When I clean the line at all between changes). My cueent thought on this is to get a brand new HDPE weed sprayer from the farm store with a hand pump and redo the wand fittings to run 1/4" flare with a valve on it. It sure seems easier and cheaper than a electric pump, and I could actually store the StarSan in it.

Anyone ever build something like this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back