Limoncello pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotaBrewMaster

Reaction score
I was trying to think of a new pale ale to brew (i'd be brewing with malt extracts) for the upcoming summer and remembered that a few months ago I made limoncello from lemons I picked fresh from a lemon tree on my cousin's property in AZ. After steeping the lemon peel in everclear for 1 month, I diluted the infusion down to about 32% with simple syrup.

I've made pale ales before but have not experimented much with adding spirits to beer, especially spirits that have a high sugar content. I'm figuring I would need to add the limoncello before fermentation; maybe while the wort is cooling; so that the sugars in it can be fermented. 8 oz per 5 gallons is my first instinct, does anyone have any experience with a similar brew? I'm also thinking soriachi ace and maybe citra for the hops. I also considered additives like lemongrass or rosemary and doing a grain steep in addition to the extracts but haven't settled on a grain bill yet.

Any input or previous experiences would be very helpful, thanks!

OK, this might sound a little snobbish, but it seems EVERYONE uses rosemary for a citrus-compliment. Let me tell you something - a few years back, I mixed up (not brewed) a hard lime-ade using sage leaves I had steeped in water first.

IT. WAS. AWESOME.

I can't really comment on the other parts, but if you're looking for an interesting taste that is both good and unusual, try sage leaves.

:)

Interesting, and you're right I could see that workings well! How much would you use? And do you think I'm in the right ballpark for the limoncello addition?

Maybe I'll add sage to the limoncello to sanitize it, and help infuse the flavor. My main issue is deciding when to add the limoncello and what quantity. Also that ipa recipe is helpful thanks!

The main issue im having is deciding when to add the limoncello; either pre or post fermentation. The mikeller/ hill farmstead collaboration adds lactose; and so does the recipe you shared (which I guess is a clone?) If I added it after fermentation is already have some sweetness from the simple sugar in the limoncello; I guess I could try it both ways and split the batch

Interesting, and you're right I could see that workings well! How much would you use? And do you think I'm in the right ballpark for the limoncello addition?

I can't really say... it was a while back. I am sorry I can't be of more help here...

:(

Not to sound redundant but Basically the limoncello I made is equal parts water, sugar, and everclear; which dilutes the everclear to about 33%. So If I added 1 cup of limoncello to 5 gallons of fermented beer in the secondary would the extra sugar ferment out? What if I added to the bottling bucket, I'd be adding 1/3 cup or roughly 2.5 oz of sugar to the brew. If the standard is adding say 4 or 5 oz of corn sugar at bottling; should I then add less corn sugar so the addition doesn't make my beer highly carbonated, overly sweet or cause bottle bombs? I guess a little sweetness could work bc i know lactose is used in the recipe that others posted but without tasting im afraid it would make the beer too cloying.

What is the ABV of the Lemoncello? Sounds like it is around 20-25% abv. Brewers yeast may not be able to ferment any further for bottle conditioning and looks like champagne yeasts stop around the 17% mark.
Hopefully some one with more experience can comment on their experiences with what yeast can actually do in high alcohol environments.

I calculated it to about 33%. So even adding around 8 oz I doubt it would raise the abv of the beer by much. but are you saying that since the simple syrup in the limoncello is mixed with high abv vodka then that sugar wouldn't be fermented?

I calculated it to about 33%. So even adding around 8 oz I doubt it would raise the abv of the beer by much. but are you saying that since the simple syrup in the limoncello is mixed with high abv vodka then that sugar wouldn't be fermented?

Yes the yeast will die off due to the abv content.

Back