Lids for my new used kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b555wpd

Reaction score
I recently found some kegs on Craigslist for $25 so I thought this would be a good opportunity to get into kegging. I went to the guys place and he had about 30 kegs in various conditions. As I am just getting started I did not have CO2 to pressure test them and was just going on appearance. I picked out 6 that I thought looked the best though there were only 3 lids that seemed to work (one was metal and 2 were plastic). I did a quick search online and found lids for $10-$20 so I figured it was still a pretty good deal.

When I got home and started looking over the kegs and comparing them to the lids I found online they seemed to be in between a standard and racetrack. My lid did not have flat sides at all so I ordered a few standard lids. The kegs I have are stamped with Booth Marathon and John Woods. I couldn't find much information on those type of kegs at all. When I got the lids they were not even close. I got in touch with Keg Connection who had sent me the lids and they told me that I needed racetrack style lids and not standard. I sent them back and was quickly shipped replacements.

The racetrack lids arrived today and they also don't fit. The legs are different, the racetrack lids have flatter sides, and they are shorter. They don't hold pressure at all.

I have posted some pictures so people can see the comparison. The lid on the left is the racetrack lid and on the right is the one that come with the kegs that holds pressure.
Is there anywhere that I can get lids that will fit my other 5 kegs or have a just wasted a bunch of money on junk?

caps.jpg

caps2.jpg

Not to be negative, but I bought a keg without a lid once and will never do that again.
I put a lot of time and energy and $$ into never finding the correct lid. The keg I had was pretty old.

Good Luck

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I hope you find the correct lids. If you start over, I suggest looking for 1/6 or tall 1/4 sanke kegs, no lids and only one seal. jmo, good luck with your dilemma.

are you sure the lids need replacing? I would start by replacing the gaskets, thats probaly your problem 3.00 and leaking problem solved

Maybe try contacting the seller? I know it's Craigslist, but talking to him about an exchange, help finding lids, or at least some info on the kegs to help track down the right ones might put you one the right track. Sometimes bargains like that can turn into an adventure to complete the bargain. I actually enjoy the adventure. Good luck, man!

are you sure the lids need replacing? I would start by replacing the gaskets, thats probaly your problem 3.00 and leaking problem solved

Thanks but that isn't it, you can tell the lids I got don't match. I got all new gaskets and lube for the 3 that I got with the kegs and that fixed one but the other 2 plastic ones were a lost cause. Really cracked up on the inside. When you rub your finger across the inside they come back black. Seems like a great way to mess up a batch of beer to me so I don't think I will use those unless I absolutely have to.

Maybe try contacting the seller? I know it's Craigslist, but talking to him about an exchange, help finding lids, or at least some info on the kegs to help track down the right ones might put you one the right track. Sometimes bargains like that can turn into an adventure to complete the bargain. I actually enjoy the adventure. Good luck, man!

I had considered getting in touch with him but he wasn't a brewer and didn't seem to know much about the kegs. I asked where he got them and he had apparently just picked up about 100 of them from and old soft drink distributor and figured he could re sell. By the time I got to them they were really the bottom of the barrel which is why I was able to talk him down. I do agree that the adventure of the bargain is fun. I certainly know a lot more about kegs than I would have if I had just bought a new one.

for the record the one on the lsft has a aftermarket valve that can be moved to other lids. its probably a 25.00 valve by its self!

Back