Lids For My Keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanerator

Reaction score
Hey all, I have two kegs that need converted, I plan on making a 12"opening. My third keg was used as a cooker and the top was cut at 14", what was left they bent it up so there is no ledge for a lid. -----Do all three kegs need lids for single tier? Or should I try and bend the lip back? :confused:

Find another keg if you want them to match and be able to find pot lids at a reasonable price. You do not really need a lid on your boiler as you don't want to confine the boil due to DMS. Read about DMS in the link last sentence. Dimethyl Sulfides need to be boiled off into the atmosphere.

I use 3 keggles in my setup and I think that lids on all 3 are a good idea for me, here's why:

HLT - I use a lid on this during the whole brewday. Keeps temps constant while waiting to use sparge water, plus keeps bugs and critters from falling in my brew water.

MLT - DEFINITELY need a lid on this baby, just to keep temps constant during the mash. The lid also keeps insects out.

BOIL KETTLE - I think a lid is needed after the boil is finished, I like to cover my boil kettle as it's cooling to help prevent any foreign yeasts or bacteria from getting into the wort. Also, keeps insects out.

I live in south louisiana, a few miles from the atchafalaya swamp, so we have tons of flying insects in the evening when I usually brew.

If you had to omit a keggle lid, I'd vote for the boil kettle - and only if you're not using an immersion chiller - because I wouldn't feel comfortable about a fully cooled wort sitting uncovered in the kettle waiting to be transferred.

If you use a CFC, your wort will be very hot, above pasteurization temps before being drained to the chiller, then fermenter, so risk of infection is greatly reduced.

My $0.02
Pangea

Ok, I give a little just move the lid off the mashtun after transfer to the boiler when needed.

Latest posts

Back