LHBS's Pumpkin Ale..thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
So, I just picked up the ingredients that my LHBS had for their Pumpkin Ale recipe. Just thought I'd swing it by you guys to see if it looks pretty standard and straight forward.

Ingredients:

6lb Pilsen Dry Malt

Steeping Grains: (155 for 30 min)
1lb Crystal 40L
1/2lb Honey Malt

Hops: 6 AAU of Santiam

2 Tbsp of Pumpkin Spice

1 tbsp of Irish Moss in last 15 minutes of boil for clarity

Yeast: Nottingham

I talked to them about adding real pumpkin and they said they did 2 batches with and without the pumpkin at a class not too long ago. They said they honestly couldn't tell much of a difference and that the spice is what actually makes people think of pumpkin when they drink it. I figured I'd try it without the pumpkin this first time to have less trub and junk to deal with. What are your thoughts on this recipe? Look okay and straight forward?

Anyone have thoughts?

Also, I got 2 packages of Nottingham's yeast as I'm super anal and don't want to under-pitch. The OG is estimated to be around 1.060. Should I go ahead and pitch both packages to ensure I have a strong fermentation that doesn't stall? Or just pitch 1 and save the 2nd pack for another batch?

No thoughts? Well, I'm planning on doing this either tonight or tomorrow, so if not, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'll probably pitch both packets of yeast to be sure.

Recipe looks fairly standard, although a bit lighter than I'd expect for a pumpkin ale. I'd go ahead and pitch both packets. Just make sure to use a blowoff tube, just in case!

I just did a test batch with 1/2 with real pumpkin in boil and 1/2 without. Really can't tell a difference. I add it out of principle of calling it a pumpkin beer, but I don't think it's needed. Personally, 1.06 og I'd add 1 pckt. But that's the beauty of this forum. Ask a question, get 20 different opinions.

I may actually go to just 1 packet as I have another beer in the fermenter that is stalled out at 1.050. I think the 2nd pack will go into that to start that back up.

Back