Letting RO water sit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For every brew day, I collect 20 gallons of RO water and I have the RO output routed to my HLT. I usually do this about 2-3 days in advance of the brew day. I was supposed to brew last weekend but it got post poned due to our dog losing a battle to glaucoma in her only remaining eye. So we spent last weekend working with her around the house as she is now 100% blind.

So, I'm now brewing on Sunday this week. This will be about a week and a half of the water just sitting in the HLT. Any issues here with bacteria or anything that I need to worry about or should it be fine?

Thansks.

This will be about a week and a half of the water just sitting in the HLT. Any issues here with bacteria or anything that I need to worry about or should it be fine?

I don't see why it would be a problem. Even if there were a tiny bit of something in the water for microbes to eat, you're going to be boiling your wort anyway, right?

I don't see why it would be a problem. Even if there were a tiny bit of something in the water for microbes to eat, you're going to be boiling your wort anyway, right?

Fair point! This is kind of what I thought. I almost dumped it all down the drain last night but figured I'd ask before I did that.

RO water has no minerals and is very aggressive. I had a delay once and left the water in the kettle for only 3 days and the blueish round spot from the induction burner was gone and it looked new.

Back