Let's talk cordless drills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good all-around drill in the $150 price range? I need it for anything from running my Barley Crusher to remodeling the kitchen. I'm thinking torque is important. Any ideas?

Well I know Rigid, Bosch, Makita (although I think they are a little overrated) are good brands. Big on the Volts is a good idea. Those monsters will crank away all day.

First I used my Ryobi. Worked great.
Crusher_2.jpg

Then I found this gem my Dad gave me umpteen years ago...works even better:
Drill2.jpg
Drill3.jpg

I just bought a 18v Craftsman on sale for $89. It's heavy duty and crushes grain without a problem. Its got alot of torque, when I start crushin grain I have to hold on or it could break my wrist. I tried to get the drill to remodel my kitchen but it didn't work. The drill just sat there.....let me know what you find out........

buckeyebrewer said:
I just bought a 18v Craftsman on sale for $89. It's heavy duty and crushes grain without a problem. Its got alot of torque, when I start crushin grain I have to hold on or it could break my wrist. I tried to get the drill to remodel my kitchen but it didn't work. The drill just sat there.....let me know what you find out........

I'm kind of leary of the Craftsman. I have the 14.4v now and it was useless for remodeling. I don't even know if it could crush grain...

I've got a Porter Cable 19.2 (drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw & flashlight) set that's been rock solid for 5 years now.

+1 on the newer Craftsman. They recognized that their reputation had pretty much gone down the toilet, and have been working to restore it, one tool at a time. Every tool they have overhauled has been getting honorable reviews in woodworking magazines. The new cordless drills have decent drive mechanisms and single sleeve chucks. The chuck is the big seller for me.
I got the 14.4 and have used it for the kitchen remodel. It powered a 3/4" spade bit through cherry planks very easily, and easily drove the 3" screws for mounting the upper cabinets. I have yet to stall it, other than a few wrist-wrecking bit binds.
I also have the newer Craftsman table saw and like it a lot.

Bobby_M said:
Without any hesitation, I have to recommend the DeWalt XRP series with a 1/2" chuck (any voltage you can afford). The XRP is all about torque. This one looks like a good deal at a price close to the 12v retail versions...
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DeWALT-DC92...ryZ42272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and I'd put this thing to a torque-of-war against almost any other cordless in the price range.

Do they carry that at HD? I'm getting this drill with gift cards...

Yeah, I think both Lowes and Depot carry them. I ordered a reconditioned one from toolking.com (actually through their Ebay store) and then I found the exact same one NEW was on a blowout sale at Lowes. DOH!

Bobby_M said:
Yeah, I think both Lowes and Depot carry them. I ordered a reconditioned one from toolking.com (actually through their Ebay store) and then I found the exact same one NEW was on a blowout sale at Lowes. DOH!

Ok cool. Hopefully HD will have it on sale soon...

Just a suggestion, but maybe a corded? I own a dewalt and it has been flawless. Granted you take a cordless all over but....

def DeWalt, or Ryobi...

stay away from Black and Decker, I've heard they use plastic gears in all of their drills (corded and cordless)

DeWalt is hands-down the best you can buy for the money.

buckrogers71 said:
Just a suggestion, but maybe a corded? I own a dewalt and it has been flawless. Granted you take a cordless all over but....

I've considered it, but not mobile enough for me...

Bobby_M said:
Without any hesitation, I have to recommend the DeWalt XRP series with a 1/2" chuck (any voltage you can afford). The XRP is all about torque. This one looks like a good deal at a price close to the 12v retail versions...
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DeWALT-DC92...ryZ42272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and I'd put this thing to a torque-of-war against almost any other cordless in the price range.

+1 Take it from someone that uses a cordless drill every day on the job. I will never buy anything but DeWalt XRP.

Never used a Dewalt cordless, but I do not know anyone with a Makita that doesn't love it and been using it strong for years. My buddies 5yr old makita runs rings around my brand new Ryobi. Without hesitation, my next purchase will be a Makita.

Well... hesitate just a minute and check out the Dewalt XRP. Seriously. I tried maybe 5 or so models in a row (Sears actually had them all running off a power supply on the display at the time) and when I pulled the trigger on the XRP version, I almost sprained my wrist because I wasn't expecting the torque. haha, cue the jokes about my limp wrist.

Bobby_M said:
Well... hesitate just a minute and check out the Dewalt XRP.

I'll do that for sure.

One thing that I've noticed about Makita is that they are still very torque'y after years of use and abuse. My Ryobi was good and strong when I bought it, but after 6 months it was just another so-so cordless drill... Generally speaking, that's battery and not the drill motor, so obviously Makita is doing something right in that dept.

I'm a DeWalt guy myself. The have a nice 12V for around $140 that's good for everything but heavy duty work. If you're just talking about home improvement projects and brewing projects it should do everything you need.

how much is an electric motor and pulley setup? i'm thinking that might be the way i'd go, if we build the grain mill.

i've got a dewalt 18v 3/8 inch. it does what i need it to do, which isn't crushing grains. ;)

My 9.6V Makita finally died and I was hesitant to replace it because it was such a good reliable tool for so long. It had gotten to the point that the replacement battery was worth more than a new drill. I bought a Dewalt 14.4 with two batteries and have no regrets at all. I work my tools pretty hard.

Bobby_M said:
And keep in mind you can pop the cases open on the battery packs and replace the cells with generic NiMH C cells for really cheap.

Really? Can you make a video tutorial for us???:)

Seriously, I didn't think to do that. Where you do get the batteries from?

Bobby_M said:

+1 on the Dewalt I have one and we have several at work. The Dewalt and Makita seem to be popular with the contractors as well.

Bobby_M said:
And keep in mind you can pop the cases open on the battery packs and replace the cells with generic NiMH C cells for really cheap.

Yeah, I do that all the time with other devices. I get my batteries from an electronics supply store. I didn't bother with this one because the drill was pretty old and it was time for a replacement. It's just hard to part with an old friend you've gotten so used to.

We also have a rejuvenator at work. It goes through various cycles to try and break up the crystals that form over time and cause memory issues and such. The problem with the rejuvenator is that you have to be diligent because once the crystals get too large they puncture the separation between the two materials and short out the cell. There's no fixing that.

I gotta backup the makita AND the dewalt guys and gals here. Both are very high quality tools, and high quality companies. Everything I've heard is that when you have a problem, they focus on dealing with the problem, not trying to "deal" with you.

BierMuncher said:
Then I found this gem my Dad gave me umpteen years ago...works even better:
View attachment 3690
View attachment 3691

My dad has (had?) that same drill motor. I'm glad for the reminder, because I've been meaning to ask him about it. It's a tank.

I have an 18V Skil. I didn't pay a lot for it, but it's a pretty solid drill. If I had the $$ and the need for it it, I'd buy DeWalt.

The best "Cheap" Cordless I have used was a Dewalt but I prefer Porter Cable everything because that is all my dad ever used growing up, he still has a damn Porter Cable Saw hes had since the early 70's.

Bobby_M said:

+1000!!

I have a 14.4v. The 18v XRP is so heavy that it impedes efficient work in a lot of situations.

Get the 14.4v XRP. Get it from Lowes. Keep the receipt. If anything ever goes wrong with it, including the batteries not holding as much of a charge, Lowes replaces it.

RICLARK said:
The best "Cheap" Cordless I have used was a Dewalt but I prefer Porter Cable everything because that is all my dad ever used growing up, he still has a damn Porter Cable Saw hes had since the early 70's.

I don't know if P-C makes stuff like they used to, though. I had an orbital sander that crapped out in no time.

Evan! said:
+1000!!

I have a 14.4v. The 18v XRP is so heavy that it impedes efficient work in a lot of situations.

Get the 14.4v XRP. Get it from Lowes. Keep the receipt. If anything ever goes wrong with it, including the batteries not holding as much of a charge, Lowes replaces it.

I'm gonna go with the 14.4v XRP. Thanks all! :mug:

I've had a 14.4 Ryobi for about 8 years now, and have been very happy with it. Its been through a kitchen remodel and built a deck, and numerous other projects.

I replaced one of the batteries last year and the other one is on its last legs. But the drill itself has been flawless.

Yeah, I started with the 12v XRP and it actually had plenty of power. I only upgraded to the 14.4 because it was like $10 more. You do trade off in weight and size. I think the 14.4 is a good compromise.

Evan! said:
I don't know if P-C makes stuff like they used to, though. I had an orbital sander that crapped out in no time.

I have never used one of there sanders, I use Air Sanders Did P-C Replace the sander for you?

Back