Left over ingredient brew - what yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioMurb

Reaction score
Trying my second all-grain, so practicing my technique is more important than the actual brew on this one. So I'm going to use up some left over specialty grains. This is what I have so far:

6.4 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.81 %
2.2 oz Caramel Malt - 80L (Cargill) (80.0 SRM) Grain 1.33 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.77 %
4.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.38 %
3.2 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 1.91 %
1.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.9 IBU
0.80 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.65 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU

It feels like an amber-ish beer (BU:GU ratio is somewhere in the ESB range with about 9# of base malt) or APA.

So, do I go with 2-row and 1056? Or Maris Otter and something like 1098? What do you think?

It looks like you have most of the makings (less yeast and base) for a Scottish ale (60, 70 or 80 Schilling).

The hops kind of throw it off for me. After some playing you could have a sort of americanized belgian pale ale. I've never used challenger hops, so I'm not too familiar with it's aroma and flavor profile, but it mentions some fruity flavors that could meld well with the yeast esters. There are belgian IPA's with american hops, so why not belgian APA's (BPA?) with some american flavor.

Scotty_G and I have made a couple of these "refrigerator velcro" beers with leftover ingredients. They've turned out pretty good so far.

Our primary concern for these beers, since they generally don't fit a style is to not invest much money into them. These cleanup beers should be simple and cheap.

We have just been using plain old Safale US-05 or Safeale US-04 dry yeast. Its cheap, it works well and at least the US-05 has a pretty neutral flavor profile.

Good luck with it!

Gedvondur

Latest posts

Back