Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first time converting a recipe from all-grain to extract/steep, so let me know if things seem off at all. The IBU's and color are a a bit high relative to the OP's AG recipe. Also I left out the Munich malt and flaked oats since they need to be mashed. I suppose you could add a bit of Munich LME to make up for it, but the amount is nearly negligible (9oz). Anyways, here's what I came up with in ProMash:

Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 8.88
Anticipated OG: 1.065 Plato: 15.96
Anticipated SRM: 43.0
Anticipated IBU: 24.3
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.055 SG 13.68 Plat

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
56.3 5.00 lbs. Muntons DME - Light England 1.046 5
8.5 0.75 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.003 450
8.5 0.75 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.004 60
8.5 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.003 350
7.0 0.63 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.003 2
11.3 1.00 lbs. Milk Sugar Generic 1.006 0

Exract represented as SG.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.35 oz. Magnum Whole 14.00 20.4 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 4.0 10 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Quick question, what did you do for your sparge? I usually do 1.5 quarts/lb at 180F for 10 minutes?

Im dying to brew this!! My LHBS has all the ingredients except the flaked barley can i substitute this with something else? or would it really make a big diiferencce?

Thanks!!:mug:

Well, brew day went well but I made a boo boo. Mash was done and I started cleaning and damn if a bag of oatmeal and flaked barley aren't sitting there as I finished. ****.

Thankfully the hops were not added yet.

So I did a 30 minute mini "mash" with the bag. Poured that into the kettle and went forward as normal. Hit postboil OG perfectly at 1.066 according to beersmith. Ya know what, its still gonna be delicious. RDWHAHB.

I'm brewing this on Saturday. Only change to the recipe is 1/2lb less 2-row as I get around 80-82% effciency.

Should be a great beer, i'm definitely looking forward to it.

Ok, brew day went smooth. Used 6.5# 2-row due to the efficency I get. OG was 1.065. I'm excited to see how this turns out

Brewed this one on 2/17 and its still slowly chugging away. First time using S-05 and I have heard its a slow ferment. It smells delicious and I cant wait to keg it. Should be good to go for St. Patrick's day!

Brewed this and was finally able to compare this recipe to the real deal and.....flavor was dead on except mines tasted a little more watered down and was not as creamy...mouth feel was a little watery too ....anyone road have the same results?! How can I fix this ?

Brewed this and was finally able to compare this recipe to the real deal and.....flavor was dead on except mines tasted a little more watered down and was not as creamy...mouth feel was a little watery too ....anyone road have the same results?! How can I fix this ?

What type of water are you using? Making sure you have the right water profile can make a big difference. If you're happy with the water then a little biscuit can go a long way in adding some mouthfeel.

First time using S-05 and I have heard its a slow ferment.

US05 is slow at lower temperatures (60-65*), but it finishes pretty quick in the 65-68* range, usually around 4-5 days.

My Milk stout I brewed on 02/26 took about 7-8 days to hit FG with US05 at 63-64*. I finished right at 1.022, I'm pretty excited, the sample tasted awesome.

Brewed a few days ago. Everything went well.

Hit OG of 1.066.

Dumped in Safale05 yeast slurry from BMs Cream of 3 Crops. Took off in 3 hours and fermented hard for 2 days, now slowed down.

Looks scrumptious in the primary!!!

Brewed this one on 2/17 and its still slowly chugging away. First time using S-05 and I have heard its a slow ferment. It smells delicious and I cant wait to keg it. Should be good to go for St. Patrick's day!

Poured my first pint on Saturday. This is a great Milk Stout, have not had the original to compare but mmmmm this is good.

I made this as an All Grain last year and converted it to Extract a few months ago and both of them came out EXCELLENT!!!.

It will become my all around brew in the fridge.

LOVE THE STUFF.

I gave my clone a try, and it turned out fantastic. I might use a pinch less roasted barley next time, but boy did it turn out great.

Another thumbs up. I left it about 4 months in secondary and it tastes good. I like this much better than the mint choc stout recipe posted here. You can taste the chocolate, but there is less of it.

I've brewed this recipe twice now. I did the first attempt as listed. It turned out as a great tasting stout.

On my second attempt I adjusted the list to satisfy my personal palette better.

I toned down the Roasted Barley to 11oz and raised the chocolate to 13oz. In addition I raised the Lactose Sugar to 1.25lbs.

If you really want to clone Left Handed Milk Stout. Another important step is to decrease your normal bottle priming method. My first attempt I used 4.5oz sugar at 68 degrees. My second attempt I use 3.5oz at 68.

Left Handed Milk stout has very little head and almost no lacing whatsoever.

In all I like my second attempt better. With that added Lactose creamy taste. But it's all up to your personal taste. In all I would say that this recipe is great and I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates any Guinness style beer. It really does taste similar to Left Handed Milk Stout.

(Just make sure you aren't lactose intolerant)

Also I forgot to mention I added 3oz of Vanilla Extract to the secondary on my second attemp. It really adds to the flavor.

Another thumbs up. I left it about 4 months in secondary and it tastes good. I like this much better than the mint choc stout recipe posted here. You can taste the chocolate, but there is less of it.

I only do primary's and left mine for a little over a week. Kegged and let carb for about a week. It was fine and gets better every day. I'm just about out and I'm stressing out about it.

I had a sample of this fully carbed last night, and oh my god. I didn't want to stop drinking them, even though they were hitting me pretty fast. I see myself getting into trouble with this one. :tank:

Anyone else get an extra-powerful hangover from this beer? Maybe it's just because I only partially mashed my oats, but after like three of these I feel like crap the next morning.

Brewed up a 5 gal batch of this last night. Smells great!!! Airlock is going insane!!!

Can't wait to taste. This will be a fine drink for fishing opener 4 weeks from now...there is still ice on the lake!!!:tank:

I'm about half way through drinking my batch, and it's pretty fantastic. I'd give this beer a solid 4.5 stars.

I brewed this today with some adjustments. I ended up with 5.5 gallons by mistake. (no sight glass on kettle) I have my carboy marked. My OG was only 1.053. I know the extra 1/2 gallon will bring it down. I also had the grains milled about two weeks ago which i am assuming will bring it down? This is my second BIAB and I am trying to figure out what my brew house efficiency is. Any idea what the 1/2 gallon and the 2 week old milled grains would do to my OG?

Here is my recipe
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.5 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %

Note: all the specialty grain was bumped up to 1# and the Magnum was bumped from 0.35oz to 0.5oz.

Additional Items added

1tsp yeast nutrient 8 mins
8oz Coca 5 mins
0.75 oz mint 3 mins

Steeping: ( 5 gallons of water )
135 - 30 mins
155 - 60 mins

After Steeping I added 2.5 gallons and brought to a boil.

Thanks,

Josh

So after drinking this further, and sharing it with a few friends that love stouts, we've agreed:

It's a bit too 'dry'. Now yes, I know this isn't a dry beer (FG was 1.023 for me), but there is some soft astringency from the 1lb of Roasted Barley. I also don't get as much chocolate flavor that I get from LHMS; I get more coffee and esspresso. This makes the beer taste drier than it actually is. The astringency from the RB, and the heavy roasted notes were the big difference from this clone and LHMS. So next time i brew this I'm going to:

-Cut Roasted Barley to 10oz, possibly 8oz
-Up Chocolate to 14oz
-Mash much higher, I'm thinking 154-158.
-Also cut the 10min hop addition to 0.5oz

The recipe listed is absolutely fantastic, but it blurs the lines between a dry stout and milk stout in taste for me. It's a great beer, but i'm looking to get closer to LHMS, and the sweet stout BJCP category. This recipe obviously has a lot of mouthfeel, but it lacks the creamy chocolate smoothness that LHMS has.

I'll give it a re-brew, and li'll post how the revised recipe turned out.

i never had a problem with adding yeast nutrient to cooled wort. I thinking if you boil it you are basically killing the yeast nutrient. I don't think yeast nutrient needs to be sanitized. I make a lot of wine and have never sanitized it, or needed to do that, or ever heard of needing to sanitize it.

That was the first time using yeast nutrient. I purchased LD Carlson yeast nutrient. It called for 1 tsp per gallon, but I just wanted to use a little bit the first time to make sure nothing went wrong.

Just asked midwestsupplies (where I purchased it from) They suggest I cool it first. But said it wouldn't harm it if I added doing the last 10 min of the boil. Next time, I might try adding the yeast nutrient after I cool.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention shadows. This is only my 3rd brew so I am still in the learning stage. Hopefully, I never leave the learning stage though!

No problem I'm still learning as well. Happy Brewing and like us know how this turns out. I have everything to make this as well just have no room at the moment to brew it just yet.

Kegged this clone today. Hoping that it's still a bit young. Been in primary for three weeks and a bit astringent. Thinking that time will mellow it out a bit. Too bad it was supposed to go up for fishing opener this coming weekend. I did sneak about a gallon into my rum barrel just to see what happens.

Back