Leaving oak chips out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate-o

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying out a new kit to make some Sauvignon Blanc. It came with oak chips but I would like to leave them out if possible. Is that ok? Does anyone have any experience doing that? I am an unoaked fan myself but don't want to screw up the kit. Thanks!

Ok that's great! I will give it a try this time without them. I can always try it with them next batch. I appreciate the advice!

Ok that's great! I will give it a try this time without them. I can always try it with them next batch. I appreciate the advice!

You could also finish the wine, see how you like it, and if you so desired then add the oak. Or split the batch...bottle some, and oak some. Your kit, you're the Boss.

You could also finish the wine, see how you like it, and if you so desired then add the oak. Or split the batch...bottle some, and oak some. Your kit, you're the Boss.

I haven't tried a kit that included oak chips before, but generally I prefer unoaked wines. I guess I'll jus have to see if this kit ends up too fruity or sweet without them? How do you go about adding them at the end if it does turn out that way?

I haven't tried a kit that included oak chips before, but generally I prefer unoaked wines. I guess I'll jus have to see if this kit ends up too fruity or sweet without them? How do you go about adding them at the end if it does turn out that way?

Give it a taste test and see if you think it needs the oak...if does just put it in the carboy and let it sit for a couple weeks and taste again...repeat or bottle when it's where you like it.

Finished a Chardonnay a little while back...it came with oak....a friend likes unoaked Chards...so we split the batch in half after it was done. I like them both actually.

Back