Leaking keg, I think it may not be repairable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggityz

Reaction score
This weekend I racked into this particular keg for the first time. It has all new orings, and keg lube on all the orings. When I aired it up it was leaking co2 from the beer post. It turned out that the leak seemed to be coming from the actual keg it self. Co2 was bubbling from around the threads that are part of the keg itself. I tried to pry some of the black rubber off but never saw anything. So my question, is the co2 coming from a seal, or the actual keg itself? I even put a different post on, and it did the same thing... help!

If you see bubbles coming out of the threaded post that is connected to the keg then I'd say you definitely have something that may not be repairable. Since it's the liquid post, I would be reluctant to use anything on it. I'm a JB Weld fan girl, but this is liquid you intend to consume so I wouldn't use that.

I would imagine those posts are welded or something though. I think you'd need a sanitary welder and those guys aren't cheap. A new/used keg would be easier. Do you have another keg you can rack over to? Perhaps transfer using CO2 to limit the amount of oxygen getting to the beer.

This weekend I racked into this particular keg for the first time. It has all new orings, and keg lube on all the orings. When I aired it up it was leaking co2 from the beer post. It turned out that the leak seemed to be coming from the actual keg it self. Co2 was bubbling from around the threads that are part of the keg itself. I tried to pry some of the black rubber off but never saw anything. So my question, is the co2 coming from a seal, or the actual keg itself? I even put a different post on, and it did the same thing... help!

Could you post a pic of where the leak is on the keg? I get where you are saying but sometimes a picture makes it easier.

If you see bubbles coming out of the threaded post that is connected to the keg then I'd say you definitely have something that may not be repairable. Since it's the liquid post, I would be reluctant to use anything on it. I'm a JB Weld fan girl, but this is liquid you intend to consume so I wouldn't use that.

I would imagine those posts are welded or something though. I think you'd need a sanitary welder and those guys aren't cheap. A new/used keg would be easier. Do you have another keg you can rack over to? Perhaps transfer using CO2 to limit the amount of oxygen getting to the beer.

I had a buddy who lives down the street that had an extra keg I had to rack into... I got this keg for $30 on CL as part of a kegerator deal.

I was able to use a buddies empty keg, I got this one in a CL kegerator deal

Now that the keg is empty, you may try to see if it is repairable. If the bubbles are coming off the threads, it may just be your dip tube is not making a seal against its o-ring. I've had new o-rings that leaked due to the dip tube being slightly bent. One didn't get fully down on the o-ring, the other was cutting the o-ring.

Now that the keg is empty, you may try to see if it is repairable. If the bubbles are coming off the threads, it may just be your dip tube is not making a seal against its o-ring. I've had new o-rings that leaked due to the dip tube being slightly bent. One didn't get fully down on the o-ring, the other was cutting the o-ring.

I'd try what Splendidus said first, OP. Replace the gasket for the dip tube and see if that fixes it. If not... It's the keg itself. :(

I'd try what Splendidus said first, OP. Replace the gasket for the dip tube and see if that fixes it. If not... It's the keg itself. :(

I put 3 different o rings on the dip tube... I have pretty much decided I need a new keg

Sounds like you might have a keg to use as a fermenter now.........

I would at least, strip back the rubber, pressurize it, and confirm where it's leaking..........( 'cause that's just how I am......:D )

If the threaded nipple is cracked you can get someone to drill it out and weld in a new one. SS welding can be a pain, so it might just cost less to get a new keg.

I'd probably try getting it pretty hot with a torch and melting solder over it (keep it hot so it doesn't lay too thick on the surface in case that keeps the post from screwing down all the way) and see if that seals it up enough to hold pressure again.

Wrap the post with Teflon tape, tighten the post down fill with Co2 and check for leaks. If it doesn't work you could it fill with cleaning solution to clean your taps.

I doubt it's the stub's weld, you would see beer coming from lower, not higher. The liquid post or keg's threaded stub could be cracked, but that's very rare. If the post is the wrong thread or the threads are damaged it won't go down far enough to push down on the dip tube to compress the O-ring and create a good seal. Also, the flange on the diptube maybe cracked or deformed. Switch out with the gas one and recheck.

It must be a small deviation somewhere or you'd get sprayed a lot more.

In the picture above, is that the liquid post screwed onto the stub? If so that looks really high, and where is the hex you put the wrench on?

This happened to my keg (wrenching on it too hard) so I cut the rubber away, got some silver solder, and torched it. Fixed the problem easy.

I had a similar leak in a corney. I tried new poppet, oring on the diptube, new diptube. Finally, I found a oring in my scuba stuff that fits on the base just below the threaded part of the nipple and inside the post and that did it. It's been fine now for three fills.

Back