Leaf necrosis--any ideas about how to fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSnacks

Reaction score
These are first year Cascades from Great Lakes Hops crowns and they seem to be thriving except for this whole leaves dying thing. They're also getting chewed but I'm dealing with that, thinking it's moths.

Here's a photo of the leaves in the early necrosis stage: http://i.imgur.com/kmwSSsE.jpg

At first I thought it was a potassium deficiency but they've been properly fertilized for about two weeks so I'm thinking not that. I'm wondering if it's too much water/drainage? We've had crazy rain here and I'm wondering if that's what's going on.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

They look more sunburned than anything to me. Are the leaves like that all the way up the bines? If you dig down a bit near the crowns is the ground soaking wet?

As a side note, if those heart shaped leaves behind the hops are Morning Glories, be sure to keep them tamed or they will take over the hops.

They look more sunburned than anything to me. Are the leaves like that all the way up the bines? If you dig down a bit near the crowns is the ground soaking wet?

As a side note, if those heart shaped leaves behind the hops are Morning Glories, be sure to keep them tamed or they will take over the hops.

Hm, I guess that's possible. I'll have to double check whether they go all the way up the bine but I seem to remember them being mostly lower down the stalk.

The ground's not soaking wet but it's definitely very damp and we haven't caught much of a break in the rain lately.

Yeah, we've been doing some pretty intensive redoing of the backyard, keeping everything at bay!

I've noticed that the lower leaves on my hops can look pretty rough as the season goes on. As long as new growth looks good, I don't worry much. Be aware that lots of rain can was mineral nutrients from the soil, so feed with something that has micronutrients (Iron, Boron, Magnesium, etc)

I planted Morning Glories on my front porch 4 years ago, now my neighbors all have them too!

Back