Leaf discoloration + brown on bottom = mildew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aulee

Reaction score
Any idea what's causing this leaf discoloration? I previously pruned all the lower leaves because there was a white powdery mold growing on top (which I assumed was powdery mildew) but this one is different and I'm not sure if this is some other kind of mold or a nutrient problem. This plant is watered daily by sprinklers, gets full sun for about half the day, and is growing in the SF bay area.

So what is this and what should I do about it? Continue pruning the lower leaves? Treat them with something? I'd prefer to stick to organics and anything which doesn't have 'days before harvest' limitation.

There's also something which has been eating a few leaves which I've been treating weekly with pesticidal soap, which has seemed to be working.

IMG_20120611_184633.jpg

IMG_20120611_184650.jpg

Diagnosing stuff like this is very difficult in person let alone by just a picture but I would rule out downy mildew as it causes distortion and stunting primarily on the growing shoots/laterals. It could be some sort of nutrient imbalance, but many times some other non-nutrient factors can create what looks like symptoms of those types of problems. If the upper portion of the vines look healthy I wouldn't worry too much about the lower leaves as that type of discoloration occurs every year with mine here in Ohio.

...If the upper portion of the vines look healthy I wouldn't worry too much about the lower leaves as that type of discoloration occurs every year with mine here in Ohio.

Same here. Leaves are outside in the sun and exposed to the elements...they take a beating. Plants, especially hops, are resilient. That's why they grow multiple leaves :) But I'm probably more in the "leave it alone, I'm sure it's fine" camp than perhaps I should be.

Latest posts

Back