Laxitive Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giligson

Reaction score
I'm just slowly making my way through:
Brewing, Science and Practice by Briggs, Boulton et al.
I ran across an interesting tidbit on adjusting your wort minerals:

"Sodium ions (Na+, at. wt. 23.0) occur in some waters and sodium chloride is the main
solute in saline waters. Sodium ions can impart sour/salty flavours at high concentrations
(over about 150 mg/litre, which is also a proposed maximum concentration) and sodium
chloride may be added to brewing liquors (75-150 mg/l) to enhance `palate-fullness' and
a certain sweetness. Sometimes potassium chloride is added instead, at low
concentrations, to achieve a less sour flavour. Excess potassium ions ((K+, at. wt.
39.1) >10 mg/l) can have laxative effects and impart a salty taste."

Maybe there is a niche market for laxitive beer - you could even load it with oatmeal and call it high in soluble fiber.

:D

Oh my god, I was going to make a joke about how you could use EX-Lax and make a chocolate oatmeal laxative stout, and while I was googling, I found out it has been done already..

Those Koreans are so funny...:D

Exfeel-S: Korean Exlax Beer

ExfeelS_3.jpg

Why anyone would want beer with fiber in it is beyond us but that is what Korea’s Hite company has produced.

Exfeel-S is stylish beer with fiber. Smooth & light premium beer exclusively designed for well-being of young generation. Well that is what it says on the bottle at least.

Why anyone would want beer with fiber in it is beyond us but that is what Korea’s Hite company has produced.

Exfeel-S is stylish beer with fiber. Smooth & light premium beer exclusively designed for well-being of young generation. Well that is what it says on the bottle atleast.

exfeels Exfeel S: Korean Exlax Beer picture

The drink appears to be catering to woman. Exfeel-S, which stands for “Excellent Felling” and the popular S-Line body so desired in … well the world today. The Hite product also boast the use of the SAB, Super Attenuated Brewing, method used to reduce calories.

exfeels01.jpg

Their website is equally "interesting" all bright and colorful, with cartoon women.

±¹³»ÃÖÃÊ ½ÄÀ̼¶À¯ ÇÔÀ¯¸ÆÁÖ ¡®S¡¯

Okay......

I found some more info and a bit of a review...

Hite Exfeel-S
BREWERY: The Hite Co., Ltd., Yeongdeungpo-Dong, Yeongdeungpo, Seoul, South Korea
STYLE: "Fiber beer"
FIRST BREWED:
CALORIES/SERVING:
DIETARY FIBER/SERVING: 1.65 g per 330 ml bottle
BITTERNESS:
ABV: 4.1%
ORIGINAL GRAVITY:
MALTS:
HOPS:
SERVING TEMPERATURE:
FOODS TO PAIR WITH:
AWARDS:

The limited information came from Hite's English Site, except the location of Hite's headquarters, which came from some sales lead site.

When I poured the beer, it was a clear golden color with a foamy white head. The smell was pretty nondescript, smelling like a Bud or Coors. But what really threw me was the taste. Man oh man was it bad. And I don't like to bad mouth a beer, but the taste was horrible. I tried this with some friends, and one of them described the taste as "grass beer." I would describe its taste more like a spoilage-riddled Becks Light. To make matters worse, the aftertaste was a stale spoilage-riddled Becks Light flavor, and it just kept building and building as the beer got warmer. Yuck.

While I admire their attempt to get Koreans to add more fiber to their diets by slipping it into their beer, they should've put it in a better beer. Their website claims that "Simply holding [Exfeel-]S makes you a style leader." I say, simply holding Exfeel-S makes you a person holding the worst beer I've ever tasted. If you go to Korea, avoid Exfeel-S in the convenience stores and grab a Guinness. Or seek out the rare Korean microbrewery, whose beers aren't sold in most convenience stores over there. Or (I never thought I'd say this) don't have a beer.

Yeah, you go to Korea for the women, cheap shopping, and dirt cheap beer, not quality beer. Anyone who's tried OB can tell you, it's $2 a pint for a reason. Korean beer rates one step below Japanese beer in my book, which in turn rests one step below BMC.

Honestly though, the ex-lax chocolate stout sounds like a great idea. I have a rowdy prankster working for me at the moment who loves dark beers and can't get enough of my oatmeal stout. Next time that little turd pulls a practical joke on me, he's getting a sample. :mad:

Back