Double IPA Lawson's Finest Sip of Sunshine Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you whirlpool for 30 minutes post 60 minute boil?

Whirlpool/hop stands are done after the boil. For this particular recipe, you will chill the wort to 180 degrees, add the whirlpool hops, and let them steep for 30 minutes while whirlpooling.

I usually start with a pre-boil volume of 8G for big IPAs like this. On my rig, I'm left with about 6.25-6.5G after a vigorous 1 hour boil. Easily yields 5G of finished beer to the keg.

Thank you for the info, we just brewed this recipe today. Hope to provide some feedback in about a month..

I was able to get 4 cans of this beer.
Wow!
Sweet, alcohol, fruit and flowers.
Not bitter.
Thank you for posting this recipe.
I will be making this beer soon.

question about the water profile- is this the recommended profile based on what lawson uses, or were you just recording what you were working with?

question about the water profile- is this the recommended profile based on what lawson uses, or were you just recording what you were working with?

The numbers given reflect my own brewing liquor after treatment (relatively soft tap water with CaCl2 and CaSO4 added). I have no idea what profile Lawson would shoot for on this particular recipe.

Anyone know where I can buy the Conan yeast? Or anyone have extra you would like to sell? Hoping to brew this as the recipe look awesome!

Anyone know where I can buy the Conan yeast? Or anyone have extra you would like to sell? Hoping to brew this as the recipe look awesome!

Yeast bay has it. I think more beer has it too. It may be under Vermont yeast or such an alternate.

I've decided to go for the real deal and get the drags from Heady/SOS cans. Does it matter which one? Is one better than the other? I can get up to 4 cans, should I save 1oz of drags from each can and grow it up to a 1000ml starter? From the 4oz to 250ml -> 500ml -> 750ml ->1000ml. How long should I wait before repitching the yeast to a bigger starter?

Cheers

I've decided to go for the real deal and get the drags from Heady/SOS cans. Does it matter which one? Is one better than the other? I can get up to 4 cans, should I save 1oz of drags from each can and grow it up to a 1000ml starter? From the 4oz to 250ml -> 500ml -> 750ml ->1000ml. How long should I wait before repitching the yeast to a bigger starter?

Cheers

They are most likely different yeasts. I always used Conan when making this and have been very happy with the results. I'm still not sure what yeast Sean uses for SOS.
All of this being said, stepping up a starter from the can dregs is fairly simple. I would recommend allowing one can to sit undisturbed in the fridge for at least a week to ensure that a decent amount of yeast drops out. Decant the beer, pouring all but a few ounces from the can (sanitize the opening). Make a small starter (250mL) of 1.040 wort and let it sit on a stir plate for at least 24 hours. Step up to at least 1L, more if you have the flask capacity. I've found that it really only takes two steps to get the proper cell counts. Use a yeast calculator to get your numbers dialed in.

Hello all. Have this recipe going at one week in and everything is going perfect. When the second addition of dry hops go in do you remove the first one? does the two additions rather than one big one make that much of a difference?

Thanks for any help in advance

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462310286.261767.jpg

Why I Love HBT

Once again a successful brewing experience, thanks to everyone's help on this thread. My results both looked and tasted wonderful, matching the bright flavors of original perfectly! I used the OP recipe, whirlpooled all the hop additions at 165 degrees for 30 minutes except the 60 minute bittering addition. 2 dry hops for 4 days each.....kegged and carb/conditioned for a week......what a delicious beer!!

Going to brew this soon. Never done whirlpool/hopstand before so how do you keep the temperature at 180F for 30 mins? Do you tuen the flame on slightly to maintain the temperature? I read you don't need to maintain an actual whirlpool for 30minutes but how much stirring do you need? A couple times every minute?

Going to brew this soon. Never done whirlpool/hopstand before so how do you keep the temperature at 180F for 30 mins? Do you tuen the flame on slightly to maintain the temperature? I read you don't need to maintain an actual whirlpool for 30minutes but how much stirring do you need? A couple times every minute?

I've tried a few different methods but have settled on this:
- After flame-out, chill the wort to 170-175F (temperatures above this will isomerize alpha acids and add bitterness; in this case, unwanted bitterness).
- Turn off the chiller and add the whirlpool hops, stirring gently every 5 mins until 30 mins have passed or the wort falls to 160F.
- Chill the wort to pitching temps as usual.

Pretty simple, eh?

SoS is my buddy's favorite beer and I will be brewing this on Saturday with him. I have had the pleasure of having it once years ago from a trade. I know the OP used a water profile best suited for him, not necessarily for what Lawson's does. Does anybody know if Lawson's has the mouthfeel of a high chloride/low sulfate beer? As I currently have the recipe written, I will be adding 12g gypsum to my moderately hard Madison water. I'd be interested in going the chloride direction though if that is suspected with Lawson's.

SoS is my buddy's favorite beer and I will be brewing this on Saturday with him. I have had the pleasure of having it once years ago from a trade. I know the OP used a water profile best suited for him, not necessarily for what Lawson's does. Does anybody know if Lawson's has the mouthfeel of a high chloride/low sulfate beer? As I currently have the recipe written, I will be adding 12g gypsum to my moderately hard Madison water. I'd be interested in going the chloride direction though if that is suspected with Lawson's.

You are correct that I went with my go-to IPA water profile. That being said, in my opinion SoS does not have the mouthfeel that I believe you are referring to (Hill Farmstead et al.). It is a straightforward, fairly aggressive IPA using what I believe to be the more traditional IPA water profile of high sulfates and low chloride. I would stick with your relatively hefty gypsum addition for your first batch and tweak as necessary in subsequent batches. Keep us posted.

Brew day went well. It's amazing how fast it goes when you have a helper. Modified the OG and hit 1.070, so probably looking at around 7.6% for me. Mashed at 151 and pitched 400B cells of Conan, so I'm assuming this gets to 1.012 or so. Went with the heavy sulfate to chloride option, so we'll see. The only thing that threw me was Sean Lawson saying the secret to his beers was his soft well water, but that doesn't mean he can't add a whole bunch of gypsum to it.

Brew day went well. It's amazing how fast it goes when you have a helper. Modified the OG and hit 1.070, so probably looking at around 7.6% for me. Mashed at 151 and pitched 400B cells of Conan, so I'm assuming this gets to 1.012 or so. Went with the heavy sulfate to chloride option, so we'll see. The only thing that threw me was Sean Lawson saying the secret to his beers was his soft well water, but that doesn't mean he can't add a whole bunch of gypsum to it.

I have had it a lot..... it is NOT like a lot of the "NE IPA's". I think you were right to go with the higher gypsum/lower chloride. I am getting some beer from the east coast in the next week or two. Not sure if I am getting SOS in this shipment or not.... but, if I do, I can probably send you one. Have to see what I get though.

Did you get any of the DDH Sue?? I thought TG was on a roll the last 6 weeks or so. Lots of good releases.

I have had it a lot..... it is NOT like a lot of the "NE IPA's". I think you were right to go with the higher gypsum/lower chloride. I am getting some beer from the east coast in the next week or two. Not sure if I am getting SOS in this shipment or not.... but, if I do, I can probably send you one. Have to see what I get though.

Did you get any of the DDH Sue?? I thought TG was on a roll the last 6 weeks or so. Lots of good releases.

Awesome thanks! That would be much appreciated. I snagged only one bottle of the ddh Sue and it was amazing. Reminds me of what sue used to taste like before they expanded and started canning it.

Here is mine. I love the color and it tastes very good. I did miss the OG though, I only got 1.067.

Lawson Sunshine.jpg

Was 3 oz of dry hops enough? I normally don't any less than 5 oz in a DIPA, and usually more. However, maybe upping the dry hop would create Double Sunshine, not Sip of Sunshine.

Anyways, my beer is violently chugging away on day 3 here after intentionally overpitching Conan and hitting with 90 seconds of O2. I imagine I should be ready for dry hopping in a couple days.

Was 3 oz of dry hops enough? I normally don't any less than 5 oz in a DIPA, and usually more. However, maybe upping the dry hop would create Double Sunshine, not Sip of Sunshine.

Anyways, my beer is violently chugging away on day 3 here after intentionally overpitching Conan and hitting with 90 seconds of O2. I imagine I should be ready for dry hopping in a couple days.

I will say yes. I brewed mine 5/29 and it smells amazing still. Actually, this week it tastes better than last week.

Thanks! Maybe I will meet in the middle and use 4 oz just so I can feel better :mug:

So this topic is surely the subject of many other posts but I have to say that because of the whirlpool additions, the seemingly scant amount of dry hops is sufficient for a huge aromatic punch. I've even brewed this without ANY dry hops and it still has a huge nose. Let us know how it turns out.

My batch turned out well, but a little too sweet. I'd be curious to compare it to the real thing if I can get my hands on some. Despite all my temperature controlled efforts, my batch finished high at 1.018. Still tasty, but too sweet for my tastes. I've come to think I just need to expect this from first generation Conan.

i consistently get fg of 1.010 or 1.012 with Conan, even with 8% ABV beers. buy a new pouch or step up an additional time. you should need a blow off even at 64 to 66 degrees if you are pitching at a high enough rate.

Despite Sean Lawsons recommendation to use the clean fermenting American ale yeast listed earlier in this thread, would you guys recommend using the Vermont/Conan?

Despite Sean Lawsons recommendation to use the clean fermenting American ale yeast listed earlier in this thread, would you guys recommend using the Vermont/Conan?

Use whichever you'd like. I've always preferred English yeast strains in super hoppy IPAs and I think it certainly elevates this recipe. However, if you like a cleaner American strain, go for it!

in my limited opinion, i think the American Ale yields a cleaner and clearer product tasting more like SOS on tap. IF you want the citrus and tropical fruit punch you get in a can then use the VT Ale yeast. I've done this recipe both ways and it will knock your socks off either way. I happen to prefer the mango and peach aromatics you get from VT yeast. it is my go to "house" strain when brewing most any APA/DIPA

Thank you for the feedback guys! I am going to brew it with the Vermont Ale yeast from Yeast bay. I'll let you know how it goes!

I have personally have not been thrilled with the Omega Conan strain and would personally avoid. I saw very poor attenuation in the first gen (even with nice sized starter, temp ramp). It was better in the second generation but just didn't really do it for me. Have not tried yeast bay's. Interestingly enough I recently read John Kimmich mention that he believes the commercially available versions of the yeast available are subpar.

I really don't think Lawson's use Conan, but it really is a personal preference. Try it both ways and decide what you like...that is all that matters.

I have the grain to brew a 2.5 gal batch. Those that adjust water is there a profile that works best for this beer? I have never used cal sulfate, i usually build from Distilled water and typically use Gypsum and calcium chloride.

1g/gal calcium chloride
1g/gal calcium sulfate

Verses:

Water profile:
Ca - 142ppm
Mg - 26ppm
Na- 15ppm
SO4 - 305ppm
Cl - 80ppm

This recipe sounds really good. I haven't seen this beer available in my area so I haven't had it before. I have a question though about the corn sugar added to the boil. Obviously this bumps up the ABV, but would taste suffer at all skipping it?

This recipe sounds really good. I haven't seen this beer available in my area so I haven't had it before. I have a question though about the corn sugar added to the boil. Obviously this bumps up the ABV, but would taste suffer at all skipping it?
The simple sugar helps with a thinner, lighter body, less cloying. The hops (Citra) really stands out.

We had a few cans of Sip of Sunshine at recent club meetings, it's truly one of a kind and delicious!
They were brought back by a member who visited there, as well as Heady and a few other Alchemist beers. Some of those breweries don't distribute outside Vermont, or even beyond their own region.

I can’t wait to tap my current batch. I’m doing sober October this year and hope it’s going to be ready on Halloween. I know it’s still technically October but 30 days is long enough!

I was a little let down by Sip of Sunshine when I got ahold of some and tried it last year. Solid beer, definitely nowhere near fulfilling the hype. That probably has more to do with how good other craft breweries have gotten than a major criticism of SOS though.

Heady came closer to living up to the hype IMO

Latest posts

Back