Blonde Ale Lawnmower Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydster

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, 62-65
Tasting Notes
Malty, crowd pleaser, constant rotation beer
This is an outstanding beer for summer days, sharing with friends, or just general thirst quenching. Added bonus: the shopping list is pretty cheap, so you can make plenty of it without breaking the bank.

Grain Bill:
  • 6 lbs US 2-Row
  • 2.5 lbs Golden Promise
*based on 80% efficiency

Hops:
  • .25 oz Warrior (17.7 AA%) @ FWH
  • .5 oz Mt. Hood (5.4 AA%) @ 10

Mash at 149 for 60 minutes. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops per schedule above. Chill, pitch 1 pack rehydrated US-05 @ 62F. Ferment at 63-65 for 2 weeks. Package, carbonating to 2.5 volumes CO2. This is easy and delicious. You can package it as soon as you are at a stable FG and the yeast has floc'd out, so if you need to rush a recipe to fill your pipeline this can easily be ready to keg in 7-10 days. I let mine go 14 days simply because it worked with my schedule.

Here's what it looks like:

2014-05-12 14.42.53.jpg

I used US-05. Any clean ale strain should work just fine, though.

I started with 7 gallons of wort, and had 5.5 gallons to transfer into my fermenter after the boil. I don't have my notes in front of me, but I did a BIAB full-volume mash using simplebiabcalculator.com to get strike temp and volume. I will post those numbers later today.

Thanks so much! It sounded so good I already bought my stuff an I'm going to start it soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just noticed, I made a big mistake on the grains. It was supposed to be 2.5 lbs Golden Promise, not Biscuit malt. Sorry about that! I mashed in 8 gallons, and my strike water was 153, but your mash procedure or equipment setup will dictate how you get the 7 gallons of wort into the boil kettle.

Warrior is the FWH hop. It stands for First Wort Hop. That means you add it to the brew kettle with the wort prior to the boil and leave it in for the duration of the boil.

The Mt Hood goes in with 10 minutes remaining in the boil.

Great! Post back with your thoughts. I have a buddy that drinks Miller Lite almost exclusively and his wife only drinks wine. I gave him a 6-pack, and they finished it off that same day - she had 2, he had the other 4, came back asking for more.

Started drinking this beer a few days ago and I love it. Great easy drinker! I will definitely be making this again! I'm actually gonna start a new batch on Tuesday.

Started drinking this beer a few days ago and I love it. Great easy drinker! I will definitely be making this again! I'm actually gonna start a new batch on Tuesday.

Nice! Glad you like it. They only get better with extra cold conditioning, too.

Going to the store and picking up the ingredients tomorrow. This will be my first BIAB, I hope it turns out well.

Great, good luck! I like to crush my grains really fine with BIAB. I find it helps get my efficiency up at 80% consistently. If you are having the LHBS crush the grains, you might ask them to run the grain through the mill twice. If you have any issues controlling mash temp, remember with this recipe that it's better to be a few degrees under than a few degrees over - you want really fermentable wort so it leaves a light body and crisp finish.

Delicious brew. I couldn't wait till the 4th to test it. My wife had a glass and told me she can drink it anytime of the day. Looks like this guy will be upgrading his kegging system.:rockin:

The hop oz seem very low... Any recommendations on upping it?

It comes in at 18 IBUs, which is in line for the style and is part of what makes the beer approachable for non craft beer drinkers. If you just want more bitterness, I'd up the Warrior a little. If you want more late hop flavor and aroma, try an ounce for a flameout or whirlpool addition of whatever you like. Saaz and Hallertau would go nicely with the Mt Hood, but you could get creative with whatever suits your taste.

Went to LHBS intending to get ingredients for this. However with all the substitutions I basically created a new beer. Also I upped the grain bill to get a higher abv.
6 lbs 2 row
4 lbs Maris otter
.25 nugget
.75 hallertau
I adjusted these hop amounts to get close to the 18 UBUs you had.

If you are curious I'll let you know how it turns out.

You're right, it's a completely different beer. Definitely post back with your results. I polished off a sack of MO right before I made this brew. I'm really liking GP right now, enough so that I may try this recipe with all GP for the base and up the bittering charge a little.

I'm eyeing this up for a shore camping trip scheduled in the last 1/3 of August. We're going with friends who are corona/miller lite type of drinkers and are open to trying something new. Since I am still relatively new to Homebrewing, would this be a good place to start when introducing something new?

As a side note, I've had a total of 2 glasses of my own brew going into my 4th batch. I ended up giving most of it away because everyone wants to try it, and it must be decent if word spreads and a 5 gallon run of bottles disappears in days!

I'm eyeing this up for a shore camping trip scheduled in the last 1/3 of August. We're going with friends who are corona/miller lite type of drinkers and are open to trying something new. Since I am still relatively new to Homebrewing, would this be a good place to start when introducing something new?

As a side note, I've had a total of 2 glasses of my own brew going into my 4th batch. I ended up giving most of it away because everyone wants to try it, and it must be decent if word spreads and a 5 gallon run of bottles disappears in days!

A good friend of mine buys ONLY Miller Lite. He loves this beer. I think it is a good base. It is light and crisp but still has flavor, and it's easy to modify if you want to branch out with it. You might want to skunk a few bottles for the Corona fans. ;)

You're right, it's a completely different beer. Definitely post back with your results. I polished off a sack of MO right before I made this brew. I'm really liking GP right now, enough so that I may try this recipe with all GP for the base and up the bittering charge a little.

One big difference I've already noticed is your original recipe you said ready to bottle after 7 days and with these alterations I'm on day 6 and active fermentation has just now slowed down

You are at a higher OG undoubtedly, just based on the recipe you posted, so it makes sense that it might take a little longer. That aside, I actually said I bottled this after 14 days in the OP, and I was referring only to kegging in 7 days since there isn't really any danger in transferring a beer to a keg and having it drop another point. When bottling, as I'm sure you already know but I just want to highlight for anyone reading this that hasn't had much/any experience brewing, you definitely want to make sure you are at FG before you put it in bottles, and anytime I make a new recipe I make sure I take at least 2 gravity readings 3 days apart so I can get a good gauge on what to expect the first several times I make it.

I definitely want to be clear for anyone else reading this recipe that I don't recommend anyone make this recipe for the first time (or any variation on it) and bottle it in glass bottles on day 7. Let your hydrometer be your guide. FWIW, I have had this recipe bottled in 7 days, both with 05 and with Notty, but I pitched closer to 1 million cells/ml/*P with batch sizes that were slightly smaller than the one I posted (fermenting in the Lowes food grade buckets so I had to reduce my volume), and the pitch rate along with careful temperature control helped immensely, plus I was already very familiar with what to expect given my system, ingredients, and fermentation schedule. When I made it the first several times, I took gravity readings on days 7 and 10, or days 10 and 14, then bottled.

It sounds like you are keeping a pretty good handle on things. I'm looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you.

Made a very similar beer with a simple malt profile (8 lb 2-row and .5 lb of 30 crystal) and used a British Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1335). Added a very nice yeast character to the otherwise light beer. Finished clear and crisp. This style is a define summer favorite for friends who don't like the heavier bodied beers. I'll have to try your malt suggestion next time.

That's a good idea. I've been toying with getting some of the Ringwood ale yeast and using it in a recipe like this. I bet your beer showcased the yeast really well.

So who's getting 80% efficiency for this bad boy and what is everyone getting for their pre-boil gravity? I think I'm going to brew mine this weekend.

I'll double check later on, but I think I collected 7 gallons of 1.035 pre-boil.

I've got a batch fermenting with Denny's fave strain. Should make for a different beer it's supposed to accentuate the malt. Curious to see how this blonde turns out.

So I brewed this one yesterday and I think next time around I'll need more water. I usually have little loss when mashing (around a gallon) but this time I used 7 gallons total and came out with 5.5. Oh well I have about 4.5 in the fermentor and its going strong. I also changed up the hops a little bit. Actually messed this one up and thats why it will be a little extra hoppy. I used Crystal instead of Hood. Threw in Cryatal for FWH and realized i was working backwards so i threw in the warrior right after that as well so .5 total at the FWH. Then another .25 of Crystal at 10. I wanted this to be more citrusy so thats why I swaped Hood for Crystal and they are both around the same AAU so why not? Hope it comes out nice and refreshing! The color is fantastic! Cant wait for it to finish up!

Improvising is a necessary skill sometimes! Sounds like you rolled with the punches. I'd love to hear how your variation turns out.

Back