Lautering 10-gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david00001

Reaction score
When you guys brew ten gallon batches, how long does it take for you to fly sparge and lauter the whole batch?

If you collect wort at 1 gallon in 12 minutes with a 5 gallon batch, do you collect 2 gallons in 12 minutes for a 10 gallon batch?

In other words, as you scale up the batch size, are you collecting wort faster too? Can't figure it out! Thanks for the help!

I don't lauter. But, when I sparge I use the same amount of time whether 5 or 10 gal. which is 40-45mins. There is no hard set rules on time for me just what is most efficient at the extraction and for me it's 40 mins.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

It should take twice as long for twice the volume. If you are fly sparging you want it to go as slow as possible, for batch sparging you want to drain as quickly as possible. Either way, doubling the volume implies that you are doubling the run off time.

I don't fly sparge but I can't imagine why it would take longer. I have a hard time believing commercial breweries lauter their multiple BBL batches for days on end.

Obviously, their process is different then ours but if you put it into context it makes sense.

Time to get the same efficiency should not be related to grain height. You are rinsing down from pure water at the top. It will take as long as you take to get the nearly pure water down to the bottom of the grain bed. Double the height in the same laughter tun, and sparge for the same time at 2x the volume.

Back