Last week I opened my very own LHBS and I wanted to share some pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatfatbastard

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

A couple of months ago I quit my career in IT and followed my dream. I began working on opening my very own LHBS here in Roanoke, VA. This past Saturday we opened our doors to the public for the first time. I'm kind of bursting with pride right now and wanted to share some pictures with y'all. I have created an album on imgur that I would love for y'all to take a look at here.

I'm trying to keep this post from being too spammy, but if you have any questions - or tips from you other guys that run LHBSs, then I'd love to hear them.

Congrats thatfatbastard!

Advice: get the glass items off the top shelf and remember its all a labor of love (or as my dad claimed his hobby)

Congratulations to you!

Here's to wishing you nothing but the best on your new store!

Thanks everyone!

Re: the glass - I have the same concerns and am trying to find a good place to put them.

Looks better and cleaner than the store I goto. Hope it works out for you.

Looks amazing man, I want to go there! Have hops candy on-hand and don't be afraid to slip one to a customer here and there. It will make even grown men feel like a kid in a candy store :D

Congratulations and good luck with your new adventure.

Looks awesome! Congrats! I've been seriously contemplating doing exactly this in my neck of the woods. Wish you success!!

Looks great. Nice and organized.

One thing to consider. Turn your grain mill around so the pulley is towards the wall away from the customers, or better yet put a guard on it.

One thing to consider. Turn your grain mill around so the pulley is towards the wall away from the customers, or better yet put a guard on it.

Yeah... the grain mill. This is v1.0 (actually v1.5 as we had to replace the motor on opening day). I am going to rebuild it with as much safety as I can.

I was thinking the same thing. Also, maybe try to build an enclosure for the bottom of the grain mill to keep all that dust out of your nice shop. Looks really nice, congrats!!

Great looking shop.

I was thinking the same thing. Also, maybe try to build an enclosure for the bottom of the grain mill to keep all that dust out of your nice shop. Looks really nice, congrats!!

My LHBS has a cloth like material (think a pillow case open at both ends) attached to the grain mill base under the opening that acts as a curtain and then a plastic bucket to catch the ground grain. Seems to keep the dust down real well.

Great looking shop.

My LHBS has a cloth like material (think a pillow case open at both ends) attached to the grain mill base under the opening that acts as a curtain and then a plastic bucket to catch the ground grain. Seems to keep the dust down real well.

I am going to enclose the base and I am currently using food grade bags in buckets to catch the grain.

Congrats!
There's nothing like walking into a business where the owner is happy to see the customer, and really cares!
I wish you the best of luck!

Not a store owner, but...
Start a homebrew club and hold meetings there.
Dont blow alot of $ on inventory for low net products. People are buying things online anyway.
CATER TO THE BEGINNER! And have everything (EVERYTHING) in stock to get them started.
Keep a fermentor bubbling in the shop at all times.
Get a cat! Mice love grain!!! Cats love mice!!!

Congrats, and best wishes!

If you find yourself in Richmond, then turn west and drive for three hours. I'd love to meet you!
That's what I get for not drinking coffee this morning..

Somehow my brain turned Roanoke into Richmond .. ;)

I actually get through Roanoke a lot more often, as we visit family in Nashville often.

Switch the glass and plastic buckets around. Bottom shelf.

Like so:
9Xds3el.jpg

Thanks! Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.

Of course, I've got more carboys coming in...

Nice shop! I have to stress a Few things.

Top of the list. Homebrew shops are a niche market. You have to keep the customers that find you.

1. Customer service!! This has to be at the top of the list. Many people are @zz wipes however they are your customers. Smile and sell `em yeast and grain :) They will keep coming back.

2. Customer Service! (yes again) Service and nurture the newbies. These are going to be your bread and butter customers. You just have to get them started. Give them the best advice possible and they will keep them coming in the door. I did not get this treatment at my local shop when I started. They lost my business for a very long time due to this.

3. Ensure you keep up your inventory. Nothing worse than going to a shop that is out of one or more of the ingredients you came to buy. Especially when it happens often. This is one of the reasons my favorite homebrew shop went out of business and I had to go back to my local store :(

4. Keep the place hospital clean. You have to be a cleaning nazi! We have a store in our area that is just plain dirty. Needless to say it really keeps people out of their store.

Nice! I used to live in Blacksburg and the only shop was a little hole in the wall in Roanoke. Glad theres a legit LHBS there now. Wish you the best of luck, and if I can think of anyone I still know at VT, I'll send them your way!

Latest posts

Back