Last non BMC beer you've dumped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a friend who collects bottles for home brew for me gave me two bottles of Victory Golden Monkey as he can't stand even having it in the house any more. i haven't tried it yet but i'll have to taste it just to see why he's hating it so much.

cd2448 said:
a friend who collects bottles for home brew for me gave me two bottles of Victory Golden Monkey as he can't stand even having it in the house any more. i haven't tried it yet but i'll have to taste it just to see why he's hating it so much.

He can send them to me, that's a tasty brew.

re: golden monkey

i don't mind the victory hop devil at all, i don't know this golden monkey beer but he must hate is as he'll drink pretty much anything

I've only dumped one beer ever: Harpoon Winter Warmer. Tasted like a soapy nutmeg sandwhich.

Most of the other beers described in this thread may not be awesome, but I don't think they warrant dumping. Except for some of those spiced beers. If the brewery goes to far with the spices, it's like chugging a spice rack. And give the BMC guys a break for making an attempt at a non American Light Lager.

-Jon

bell's batch 8000. worst beer i've ever had. hands down.

tasted like there were WAY too many influences acting on it. i almost felt sorry for the beer for the way it was treated...

Deschutes - Buzz Saw Brown ale. It tasted like sucking off a robot, horribly metallic and sticks in your throat. That brewery shames the PNW if you ask me.

Pabst Blue Robot said:
Deschutes - Buzz Saw Brown ale. It tasted like sucking off a robot, horribly metallic and sticks in your throat. That brewery shames the PNW if you ask me.

I don't think I have heard anyone ever say that about Deschutes.

I came very close to dumping Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat and Hales Ale Wee Heavy. The Sam Adam's tasted like cherry soda with beer mixed in and the Wee heavy tasted exactly like I would expect the city water of Seattle to taste, very metallic.

Oh man, a friend gave me a bottle of Goose Island IPA, and there must have been something wrong with it. I tried one and had to pour it out it was that bad. I told him about it and he tried another one he had, same story. It literally had junk floating (not yeast) around in it. Just some bad bottles I suppose, which does happen from time to time.

Dumped a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat tonight. First time I've ever had one. I bought it thinking "oh it can't be that bad". Oh... it was.

ARE U CRAZY!!! I dont know with SUMMER WHEAT is the same as SUNSET WHEAT, but i tell you that sunset wheat is GREAT!

Sir Humpsalot said:
Dumped an Anheuser-Busch Bourbon-Barrel-Aged Vanilla Beer. It was just another ****ty BMC product as far as I'm concerned.

Before that, I dumped a Leinenkeugels Summer Wheat.

Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat. I bought a summer sampler that had two in it. YUCK!

LOL! I hear ya! Someone brought a six to a party a year or so ago and there are still two left. Blechhh..

IMO I've never had a Sam Adam's I liked.

I'm not a fan either. Sam is usually my last choice. They're going to be at the beer festival next month so maybe I'll discover a something I like.

I had a sam adams Honey Porter a while ago that was not wonderful. It tasted like honey with a hint of beer. I'm usually fine with honey in beer as long as it is used as a fermentable, but this was used as a post fermentation flavoring. I did drink the whole thing because I cannot bring myself to pour out a beer(I die a little on the inside everytime i see a beer that is left unconsumed).

And the Great Lakes Holy Moses Wit Ale was none to great

I don't think I've ever dumped a bottle. There were quite a few that I didn't like, but I choked them down just to see if they got better. But man, I can't believe some of the good beers that people say they have dumped. One guy said Oak Aged Yeti!!!??? Not only is that an AWESOME brew, but it's expensive, and to dump it is like throwing money away. DFH 60 min?? Wow, and there are others, but those two stuck out to me big time. I know several said they didn't like Breck's Vanilla Porter, but I think it's one of the best commercial examples of vanilla porter out there.

Thwizzit said:
Me either. I consider dumping beer alcohol abuse

Have you ever had Sam Adams Triple Bock? Dumping that was a mercy killing. It may be the only beer i never finished.

Dogfishead Fort and Imperial Pilsner
SA Triple Bock

Those were some awful beers

Michelob Winter Sampler pack...4 different beers. tried each and dumped the other 8,..have never been so disapointed in a whole line of beers before..but what should I expect out of michelob

Many others have mentioned this, but Harpoon Winter Warmer. Good god that stuff is nasty.

Titan IPA - way too resiny, it tastes like drinking pine extract.
Pretty much any porter that comes in multi-style packages - I just don't like the style.

Also came close to dumping the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, but I fought my way through it. In fact, I really don't like most Sam Adams beers, with the exception of their black lager.

Green Flash Brewing Trippel. Almost spit it against the fridge, was like sucking on a handful of sourballs mixed in vinegar.

Tried a Singha this week.... terrible, dumped it after 2 swallows.

Dumped 5 gallons of smoked oaked ale recently. Smoke did not mellow and it was just not appealing.

I bounce all my beers off my friends to get their opinion.

Now a typical converstion would go something like....

- Want a beer ?
- Sure
- Any particular... light, heavy, wheat, dark ??
- Anything, like all your beers, just not that smoked stuff.

I get that one a lot, so i guess it at least made a big impression :)

Last commercial one dumped though was a belgin kriek - i really cant stand cheery in beer.

Cheers
Jakob

blackshirtproud said:
Two words, STEEL RESERVE!!!!!
That shat has to be the most nasty, gack swill ever created.
I can harbor any AB over that crap, And I hate Bud.

Hey, I gotta stick up for Steel Reserve here. I don't think its fair to compare it to your average micro or even a regular BMC beer. I like it for what it is: the best 40oz malt liquor on the market. Not that I regularly drink 40s, but every once and while they can be fun. I was a Edward 40 hands champ in college.

BTW, I've talked to several bums out here in Eugene, OR and Steel Reserve is a consistent favorite.

svudah said:
I was a Edward 40 hands champ in college.

BTW, I've talked to several bums out here in Eugene, OR and Steel Reserve is a consistent favorite.

I played Edward 40 hands once in college, that is binge drinking at its finest. Gotta drink fast, 'cause you can't undo your fly until they're both kicked!

I don't know what brand of 40 the bums in Boston drank because they always kept them in a paper bag. I suspect it was whatever was cheapest.

This winter I was trying all the winter seasonals. SN Celebration and Deschutes Jubilale were my favorites. Full Sail Wasail is not bad. Even SA Winter Lager was ok. But I simply could not gut down the Pyramid Snow Cap. I have been putting out the remaining two bottles each week at my poker night hoping some poor bastard will drink it. No Luck so far.

I picked up a 8-pack of Lazy Mutt farmhouse ale. I had been seeing it all over and even saw ads for it on TV no less. The 6-packs are actually 8-packs, so I was intrigued. I had one and now I have 7 beers reserved for cooking only -- cannot bring myself to actually dump beer unless it is a bad batch or something.

Oddly enough Steve's Wine and Liquor in Middleton had free samples of the stuff a week ago and I just had to say "no thank you" to that one.

I wonder if anyone really likes the stuff, it is getting pushed like mad with TV and radio ads in Madison.

Matt Foley said:
This winter I was trying all the winter seasonals. SN Celebration and Deschutes Jubilale were my favorites. Full Sail Wasail is not bad. Even SA Winter Lager was ok. But I simply could not gut down the Pyramid Snow Cap. I have been putting out the remaining two bottles each week at my poker night hoping some poor bastard will drink it. No Luck so far.

Must have been a bad batch or had poor storage---snow cap is the freakin' JOINT!

Evan! said:
Must have been a bad batch or had poor storage---snow cap is the freakin' JOINT!

You know I have generally been pretty please with anything Pyramid does. So, Maybe I'll give it another go next year.

Unfortunately, I dumped six out of six of Tri-City Brewing Company's Phoenix Golden Ale. First one had a nasty chemical taste on the finish and I dumped that one. Figured it must have been a bad bottle, so I cracked another a few days later.

Same nasty chemical taste. Dumped. Other four soon chased it down the drain.

At least they use bottles that are easy to recap. *sigh*

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but reading it brought back some terrible memories. The only "beer" I've ever dumped out was a Mike's Hard Spiced Apple that someone brought to Thanksgiving. It was so bad it gave me a headache and a grainy, sickly sweet taste in my mouth that would not go away.

The only other thing I've come close to dumping was Goose Island Bourbon County Stout that was flat and cloyingly sweet. I couldn't bring myself to dump it because it was a gift for my mother (she didn't like it either, oh well) and I paid $5 a bottle for it. The solution was to mix it half and half with some Guinness left over from making car bombs, and the result was some damned good beer.

Dumped my Oskar Blues Gubna just the other day. I thought it tasted like rancid meat. Gave one to a buddy who loves Oskar Blues and Imperial IPAs and he thought the same thing an aked me what was wrong with it. I wonder if we got a bad group of cans but I don't have the courage to try it again. Only the 3rd brew I have ever dumped in my life.

Back