Large element source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phreaky

Reaction score
Recently picked up a new kettle, 51 gallons for 1bbl batches, and I need to find an element for it. Unfortunately, it only has 1 element port right now.

Does anyone have a source for a 10 kw or more element, no more than 24 inches long, for a 2 inch triclamp port? Prefer a stainless element, with built in triclamp, but threaded is acceptable.

I’m not an electrician and could be wrong on this ... if so, I’m sure someone will correct me.

I don’t believe you can get an element that powerful off of typical 240v power. Most elements that I see are run at 5.5k. I’d think that for something that can put out 10k, you’d need 3 phase power similar to a commercial or industrial set up.

As far as an element within your parameters, the Ssbrewtech halo element fits into a 2 inch port ... I think. It’s not tri camp, but threads on with a nut from the outside.

3-phase heating elements can be run on 240v single-phase as well. They are basically three separate elements each run on its own phase. To make them run on single-phase you'd just connect the elements in parallel to the only available phase. The real question is whether you can get over 10kw power on a 240v single-phase connection in your country.

Check with companies that manufacture pro brewing gear. You may find a single element that powerful. If not, another option is dual Blichmann boil coils. Each coil is 5750 watts. They don't use TC ports at all.

If you want to keep with TC ports, you may find it's cheaper to have another port installed so that you can run more commodity priced 5500 watt elements. Think about ongoing replacement costs.

My first plan was to use a 3 phase element, and just wire them independently, and only use 2 of the 3. So far however, I have not been able to find a 3 phase element that was short enough. I have also strongly considered Blichmann boil coils, but I'm not sure that I want to subject my triclamp only kettle to weldless fittings. I'm sure they wouldn't cause me any problems though, and not having it in the middle affecting the whirlpool would be nice as well. Final option is having someone weld in a second element fitting. I only paid $160 bucks for the kettle, so I don't mind paying for a port to be welded in, I just have to make sure I find a welder that knows what they're doing.

The kettle in question:
20210111_143042.jpg

And I've managed to find one. Now if I could find someplace in the US with it, $60 shipping is painful.

https://store.brewpi.com/mashing/st...ng-52-cm-10000w-in-3-loops-2-inch-clamp-64-mm
We know this is an old thread, just reawoken.

That triple element isn't folded and rippled. IOW, they're not ULWD, which is what we commonly use in brewing kettles. It would be very fine to use in an HLT, pretty much any element would qualify, as it doesn't touch the wort.

In smaller breweries I've seen 2 and 3 barrel kettles with four 5.5K ripple elements in it, staggered. With a couple spares on hand.

Oopsie! In my defense...I was more thinking about the round element.

As I saw you were active in the wiring diagrams section Doug, I am taking the opportunity to ask you if you have seen a 3 phase diagram floating around (3xh 220v, N, G). Long story but I am Dutch and only way I can utilise a 3500W+ element is through 3 phase (legal breaker is 20/5A. Many thanks!

Oopsie! In my defense...I was more thinking about the round element.

As I saw you were active in the wiring diagrams section Doug, I am taking the opportunity to ask you if you have seen a 3 phase diagram floating around (3xh 220v, N, G). Long story but I am Dutch and only way I can utilise a 3500W+ element is through 3 phase (legal breaker is 20/5A. Many thanks!
I'm not aware of a suitable 3-phase design floating around. I haven't done any 3-phase designs myself. I usually recommend using the Auber Instruments EZ-Boil controllers because of their unique pulse count (rather than pulse width) power modulation, but I'm not sure they would work with 3-phase, because of the way the waveform synchronous triggering works.

Do you know if your 3-phase 220 is Delta or Y configuration? (I don't know anything about the Dutch power grid.)

What kind of a system are you looking to build?
  • How many heated vessels?
  • How many pumps?
  • RIMS or HERMS?
  • Other features you would like?
Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back