Lame beer selection on cruise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
My wife and I just returned from our first cruise, which was great. It was a cruise through the Eastern Caribbean on Holland America. One thing that became immediately apparent to me is how lame the beer selection was. Of course, given that it is Holland America, I expected that they would have Heineken (meh), but it didn't get much better than that. Grolsch swingtops, Amstel Light, and a few BMC offerings. I ran into the CVS near the port in San Juan to get something better, and the only beer that fit that criterion was Sam Adams Boston Lager. I had a sampler of the brews at the brewpub in San Juan.
One of the lounges on board listed some Belgian ale (I can't recall the name - Half Moon or something, but not Blue Moon) in their drink list, but they didn't actually have any on the ship. Well, at least I only gained weight from eating, not from eating AND drinking ;-)

I think I've mentioned a few times that THIS is my idea of hell on earth...

media_httpknoxvilleuh_sgfvq.jpg.scaled500.jpg

Just returned from a Disney cruise. I went in expecting a terrible beer selection. I didn't set the bar too high and wasn't disappointed. They had some drinkable stuff (Michelob Amber Bock, SA Boston Lager, Red Stripe, Blue Moon). Instead of getting worked up over the lack of good beer, I just drank rum. Its plentiful down there. Nothing like sipping a Mojito watching the sea go by. They also had a pretty good wine selection, and a nice cheap Prosecco by the glass. Had that every night with dinner.

when I am feeling a beer to quench my thirst rather than savor (in other words a substitute for ice water) I will take an Amstel.

Back