LA Newb Alert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrVagabond

Reaction score
I just moved out to Los Angeles and luckily found Culver City Home Brewing for supplies. My first batch is a brown ale and it's in the secondary fermentation as I type this up. Made the mistake of getting a lot of trub into it. It's had almost a week in secondary, so I'll be bottling it soon to avoid any of those off flavors I've been hearing about. I'm really glad to see such an active community here and I hope to be brewing quite a bit more! I've already had the itch to make a couple more batches, but I'm going to wait at least until I taste my first try.

welcome! better start more now-you'll be glad you did... read around here for some good tips and get yourself another kit going! best advice I can give is watch your fermentation temps and pitch lots of healthy yeast.

This is my first season for brewing myself and I have officially caught the brew-bug! I now have done around 7 brews and about to start two more. I started off with a basic kit and quickly moved to a 3 keg system and looking into laagering and all grain. Beware the bug as it has strong powers, but seriously I wanted to mention my first brew since I am sure you are feeling what I felt that glorious summer day. The birds were chirping, a fresh smell of cut grass, no new items on the honey to-do list, and all seemed well. I brewed an India Pale Ale using a brewers best kit, fermented in the primary for 7 and the secondary for about 9 days, primed and bottled my pride and joy, waited 3 weeks for carbonation, chilled for 3 days then the time came to taste my labor of love.

ACK!! The beer was so bitter I could not believe it. I shared a few bottles with seasoned brews that infected me with the brew-bug and they said the beer is as intended as that was the type of beer I brewed, not knowing any better. So I swallowed my pride and started a different brew <Insert Rinse and Repeat here for the process>. Cracked it open and loved it! I pawned most of my first batch off to the neighbors that seemed to like it. The moral of the story is know what your are brewing and only experiment when you have known good brew in stock and don’t be discouraged if a brew is not what you intended. ;)

Long story short… Welcome and start another batch! :mug:

Thanks everyone. My only worry is that since I don't know anyone down here, I'm going to be sitting on tons of beer with no one but myself to drink it all!

Back