Kveik IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldmann

Reaction score
I'm looking to make an IPA with Kveik and I was thinking 75% 2 row, 25% flaked oats for grain bill. I want a hop schedule to emphasize fruity and citrus. I have columbus, citra, chinook, cascade, centennial on hand. Was thinking of a columbus/citra mix.

Seems a lot of oats to me. I don't use them myself but thought it was a 5-10% sort of thing. I'd sub out some of it for something to add some flavour and colour eg Vienna.

Re hops I'd bitter with Columbus and use cascade/citra (maybe centennial also) if I had those options. I guess if Kveik is overwhelmingly citrus then don't need both cascade and centennial, hence maybe just cascade and citra.

I was sort of basing the grain bill off a NEIPA style, but I'll admit my knowledge of the style has more to do with drinking it and a lot less with brewing it.

I used Omega HotHead Ale Yeast ( Kveik strain ) and fermented at around 27C/80F two different beers this summer: a 4.3% Session IPA and a 6.8% Rye Ale.

Beautiful yeast. The ligher beer had a nice, soft, very pleasent citrus notes to it, without being sour or overwhelming or have that slight astringent aspect of the " citrus " spectrum. The citrus and fruit esters are unleashed at hotter fermentation temps. Next time, I would try even higher, as 80F is nowhere near its fermentation limitations.

You can certainly use a high percentage of oats, though I might cut it back to about 20%. As for the kveik, ferment hot. When I have the time I'm gonna try to ferment with it around 100F.

I've experimented with the yeast bay's voss kveik at around 95F for a few beers and its always come out really good. All of those beers were very basic SMASH just to see what the yeast could do. I'm planning to do a few different styles with it but I still have a lot of hops from last year that I'm trying to get through so IPA was my first stop on the journey.

Rough draft for the recipe:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Sigmund's Voss Kveik (The Yeast Bay)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated ABV: 6.1%
IBU: 57
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 95

GRAIN:
2 Row, Pale Malt (80% / 4.4kg)
Flaked Oats (20% / 1.1kg)

HOPS:
14g Columbus 15.5% @ 60min
14g Citra 12%AA @ 30min
28g Citra 12%AA @ 5min
28g Centennial 12%AA @ 5min
28g Citra 12%AA @0min
28g Centennial 12%AA @0min

MASH SCHEDULE:

Single Infusion @65C for 60 mins

Rough draft for the recipe:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Sigmund's Voss Kveik (The Yeast Bay)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated ABV: 6.1%
IBU: 57
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 95

GRAIN:
2 Row, Pale Malt (80% / 4.4kg)
Flaked Oats (20% / 1.1kg)

HOPS:
14g Columbus 15.5% @ 60min
14g Citra 12%AA @ 30min
28g Citra 12%AA @ 5min
28g Centennial 12%AA @ 5min
28g Citra 12%AA @0min
28g Centennial 12%AA @0min

MASH SCHEDULE:

Single Infusion @65C for 60 mins

So? How was it?

So? How was it?

Sorry for the late reply to this. Here's the recipe I ended up doing. It evolved a lot by the time I actually did it.

FERMENTABLES:
4.1 kg - Canadian - Pale 2-Row (75.1%)
0.907 kg - American - Wheat (16.6%)
454 g - American - Munich - Light 10L (8.3%)

HOPS:
56 g - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 6, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 80 °C, IBU: 7.64
112 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
112 g - citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

YEAST:
Escarpment Labs Voss Kveik
Fermented at 30C / 87F

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: 14030
Ca2: 111
Mg2: 5
Na: 8
Cl: 150
SO4: 100
HCO3: 0

I really like this. I mashed at 149F and Voss Kveik yeast is a beast so it attenuation was about 85% with 6.3% ABV. Turned out higher strength than expected. The yeast paired really well. The stone fruit characteristic complimented the Amarillo and Citra hops well. It's thinner in body than your average NEIPA but after drinking it for a bit, I'd aim for this again. Its easier drinking than the ones with oats or a more aggressive water profile. But of course thats my purely subjective opinion. All in all it was a win and one of better beers.

In a few month I'll try it again with a few changes. I'm ferment even warmer to coax out more stone fruit flavour from the yeast. I'd like to substitute the 10% munich light for 7-8% of crystal 20L to give it just tiny bit of sweet to counter the dryness and to add some colour. I'd also probably aim for a little less high test. The flavour hides any high test flavours and its easy drinkingness has been leading to some surprising drunkenness.

Back