Kosch Recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMaltPoet

Reaction score
So I want to brew a Kolsch either this weekend or next. Most recipes I have seen call for a Pilsner base malt. I have seen a few that are not using the pilsner malt but a Pale or brewers malt. I have plenty of brewers left over and would like to use this if possible, but was not sure how this would affect my final product. Any thoughts on substituting the Pilsner for Brewer's? I was a little against this at first but if I can use what I have on hand instead... Let me know your thoughts.

I was looking at the following:

8 - 10 lbs German Pilsner Malt (possibly replace with Brewer's)
.5 - 1 lbs German Munich Malt
Tettang or Spalt hops (light on the hop schedule)
White Labs WLP029

You will make a good light hybrid beer. It probably wouldn't fair the best in a competition as a kolsch though. Your color will probably be darker than a standard Kolsch and probably have a different flavor profile.

Yeah I was kind of thinking the same. Was just trying to pinch pennies everywhere I can. I think I will just pick up the pilsner malt. That way I won't question my results in the end. The brewer's malt won't go to waste.

Durst Pils malt is pretty cheap at my LHBS. I bought a 55 lb sack for $40. Cheaper than plain 2 row or pale.

Most common original recipes (German) call for up to 10% of either light Munich or Vienna malt or are just plain 100% pilsner. These days in Germany, the grain bills for Kolsch are very similar to Munich Helles and this is noticeable.

I tried with both of them and while the colour is different, there's not too much difference in aroma or flavor.

Back