Kombucha Smells Like Farts!!! :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Everything was going well. I opened the bottle and sifted out the fruit remains then re-bottled and refrigerated. Tried it the next day and when I opened it there was a sulfur type smell(farts)...:confused:

Is this safe to drink?
How can i avoid this?
Anyone else have this happen?

Yes. It tasted OK. Was it because I opened it to sift it. should I re-carbonate after I sift it?

Sometimes things get sulfury when you ferment. I usually think it has to do with the particular yeast you have growing, but I could be wrong about that. Is your process to ferment it, pour to a new vessel and add fruit, then pour to bottles? Or are you putting the fruit in the initial ferment?

I have noticed that some things get funkier with fruit in the initial fermentation.

Putting fruit in the second fermentation. Then sifting out the fruit and for I guess a 3rd ferment without the pulp is my goal. Is it possible to stay carbonated that way? We'll see soon enough. I'm trying this method out as we speak. I put a pureed banana and some fresh booch it a twist of cap bottle. I haven't had any luck with getting carbonation with twist of caps. so a few days after bottling the banana flavor i decided to sift out the puree and bottle in a flip top. To my surprise it was already very carbonated. So I sifted out the banana and re-bottled in the flip top bottle. Now I'm going to wait a few days to see if it will still stay carbonated.

So I tasted the banana booch after I sifted and re-bottled. Guess what... It was carbonated and tasty. Not my favorite flavor, but good.
Description:
  • Sweet
  • Acidic
  • Caramelized flavor
  • Super Carbonated

(Side Note) I might want to use less banana. I used a whole one. Maybe half or even a quarter would do.

Anyone else try banana flavoring?

Back