Knotty Pine and Cedar Log Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you are well on your way......$145 is a great deal. Did it come with the 3 way manifold? You will need a 3 way manifold off of one of the regulator bodies to accommodate 4 kegs. Also, are you housing the 10# CO2 tank inside or outside of the keezer? If inside, you will certainly need a larger freezer than I used (7 cu ft) or at least a substantial collar, so one of the cornies can sit on the hump.

Good luck and keep me posted on how it goes. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help the best I can. :mug:
I usually don't brag about stuff, but I figured $145 was a pretty good deal and I wanted to gloat a little bit :cross:. It did not come with a manifold, I bought a new 4 way so I can have 4 kegs at serving preasure and 1 line open for options (not really sure what yet). I would like to keep everything inside the keezer, so like I said, Ive just been waiting for the right size, right priced chest freezer to come up on craigslist. But, im not opposed to getting a smaller on and putting a collar on it if the price is right.

Just read your post on the keezer build...Very impressive project and results speak for themselves. I am jealous of several things, not having a basement and not doing something similar to the many fridges I have owned and just stuck stickers on the face along with a couple of faucets.

Very inspiring project.

I appreciate the compliment. If you ever decide to move from a kegerator to a keezer, start a thread and ask lots of questions. We are all very happy to help out in anyway that we can. Thanks again! :mug:

I have been planning on building a cedar log chalkboard to hang above the keezer, but kept putting it off. I finally decided to get my table saw out and rip down some logs for this project and for trim pieces on my rustic fermentation chambers. I used my draw knife to knife the bark off of the logs, then sanded, cut to size, and threw it together. After 4 coats of poly, it's almost done. Just need for it to dry, so I can install the chalkboard from behind and the hanging brackets.

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

Final pics of the cedar log chalkboard for over the keezer. It's smaller than I wanted, but with this being the only size board that I could find, I just had to roll with it. I would have liked for it to be 12" or so wider, but it will do the trick. It's still a little bit tacky, so I didn't write the line up on it yet. To fill the space on either side of the chalkboard, I plan on making cedar log and deer antler wall sconces. Onto the next project. :mug:

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

Thanks for the compliment and sorry about the crappy picture quality. Not sure why the last one was blurry. I'm stopping by the office supply store tonight to get some chalk to write the lineup on it. Thanks again! :mug:

You have inspired me to build one similar. My wife's grandparents have a cabin at about 7,000 feet in elevation in the Sierra's near Shaver Lake, CA. that I care for when there is no snow. (About 4 months out of the year) I will have to start harvesting ceder limbs for the corners and tap handles. Now if I could just my wife's grandpa to bring his portable mill back up there I could do the whole thing in ceder for just my labor and gas to run the mill.

Man, that sounds great! I would love to have something like that in my family and I would love to own a mill. My family owns a tiny little hunting cabin in Cadillac, MI that is literally a single room (20'x25') shack.....no indoor plumbing, no bathroom (just an outhouse), but it does have electricity. It has been in the family for more than 40 years and has never been renovated. Needless to say, it's a POS! We have been contemplating knocking it down and rebuilding something nicer, as it is on acreage and surrounded by the Manistee National Forest, close to the Pine River and Caberfae Ski Resort. The problem is that there are other distant relatives that have a small share of ownership, that refuse to invest in the property to bring it up to suitable living standards. My immediated family members (dad/brother) refuse to invest in the property to make it nice, as long as the distant relatives continue to have access to it. It has been a standoff for years now and it's a shame, because it could be built into something really nice.

Someday my goal is to own my own log cottage in NW Michigan, near Traverse City on one of the big lakes and not have to worry about other family members or distant relatives being involved. It was one of my main driving forces for opening my own businesses and working my a$$ off all of the time. Hopefully someday I can make it happen, but in the meantime I can enjoy my rustic cabin like basement. Good luck on your build and I look forward to following it. Let me know if I can help! :mug:

Ours is about 30 years old and built with the wood off the property. It is a 2 story basic A frame we do have plumbing and hot water. We have to have the propane come in once a year. But we do not have power unless we go outside and hit start on the Honda generator. Hopefully we will have the cash to put in a couple of solar panels in the coming years. We do not need much just enough to power a few lights and a microwave here and there.

Can you come build this at my house? This place looks amazing! I would love drinking or brewing beer from there.

Looks awesome, I'm about to start one myself but with a 5 cubic foot freezer. I have a few questions;
1.) How difficult was it to drill through the top of the freezer for all the tubing and bolting on the top?

2.) As far as the fans to cool the between the freezer and coffin did you try and wire those to the compressor or just have the on their own?

This is going to be the first time I have ever attempted anything like this, I was just going to do a collar on the freezer but after seeing yours I want to try and do this.

Hey man, I've been away for the holiday weekend. The bolt holes for the top fasteners were easy to drill, I think I used 1/4" diameter bolts and drilled 5/32". That was simple with a nice new drill bit. I burrowed a set of bimetal hole saws to drill my fan portals (4 1/8") and my beer line portal (2 1/2"). I fastened my top to the lid of the freezer first, then drilled the larger diameter holes. I started with a pilot hole drilled all the way through the plywood coffin base, through the metal skin of the lid, through the insulation of the lid and all the way through the plastic liner of the lid. The larger holes were a b*tch to drill because the bit kept biting once I got through the plywood base and hit the metal skin of the top. About broke my wrist, so I lightened up on the pressure and let the hole saw do the work. Once I made it through the plywood base, the metal skin, and 1/2 of the insulation, I then started drilling from the under surface through the plastic and the rest of the insulation.

I wired both fans to a 14 guage extension cord that I cut and wired them to. I used a dual input/dual output temp. controller (TSS2), so the fans plug into one outlet that is controlled by the temperature probe connected to channel 2 of the Love controller. The compressor plugs into a seperate outlet that is controlled by a temperature probe connected to channel 1 of my Love controller. I like having independent control of temps for coffin and the freezer compartment seperately. Hope this helps. :mug:

Looks fantastic!

A big thanks for all of your pics of the frame itself (way back at the beginning of the thread); they really helped me visualize how I was going to construct the frame for my now in-progress keezer. :mug:

Subscribed, I gotta make me one of these, this is about the most awesome one I've seen!

Cool, I just blew my cash on a new brew rig, so I'll have to budget this project for post holidays, but I'm defiantly looking forward to it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/potential-brewstand-setup-322870/

This is it, Nothing special, but it's mine, and it allows me to do 10 gallon batches. I've gotten more kegs so I'm up to 8 now, the perfect number for a 4 tap keezer. I also got a hold of a 1/2 full practically free 20# co2 tank. All I need for that is a regulator and I'm in business. I want to get one of the dual gauge ones that I can do two pressures on so I can have a tap of soda water for my wife. I figure with xmas coming I need to focus on building my pipeline so that I can save up for the keezer and still have beer to drink after the new year.

Very nice setup! Sounds like a solid plan. Let me know when you start your keezer build....I'm happy to assist in any way that I can. Good luck! :mug:

Hey Hoppo, once again, great job on this! Quick question if you don't mind -- what is the vertical distance from the tile to the center of the shanks? I'm sketching out my build right now and I'm not sure how high I need to set the taps. Any help you can give would be much appreciated! Keep up the good work! :mug:

I don't recall off of the top of my head, but am heading home to work on my grain mill today, as I worked 14 hrs. yesterday and plan on being out of the office by 1:00 today. As soon as I get home, I'll take some measurements and let you know. I wanted plenty of height, so that I could use the full array of beer glasses from standard pint glasses and snifters to tulip to tall pilsner glasses. I'll let you know in about 6 hrs. :mug:

I don't recall off of the top of my head, but am heading home to work on my grain mill today, as I worked 14 hrs. yesterday and plan on being out of the office by 1:00 today. As soon as I get home, I'll take some measurements and let you know. I wanted plenty of height, so that I could use the full array of beer glasses from standard pint glasses and snifters to tulip to tall pilsner glasses. I'll let you know in about 6 hrs. :mug:

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!

(j/k :D)

14" from the top of the tile surface to the centerpoint of the drilled holes for the shanks. With the drip tray and downward slope of the perlick taps, it still allows for 11" of clearance, so even a tall pilsner glass isn't an issue.

IMG_2826.jpg

14" from the top of the tile surface to the centerpoint of the drilled holes for the shanks. With the drip tray and downward slope of the perlick taps, it still allows for 11" of clearance, so even a tall pilsner glass isn't an issue.

Thank you! :mug: This is what I had guessed for my design, but it's great to get confirmation. I appreciate the quick response!

Back