Kitchen Sink IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beavbuff47

Reaction score
So I'm going to be moving in a few months which gives me just enough time to brew and consume one last batch. I'd like to use all of my hops stored in my fridge. Some are a bit old (9mos), so the flavor might not be as strong anymore. They've been refrigerated the whole time, so they should be okay. They're all in pellet form. I'd like to use them all for this IPA so I don't have any left over. Any suggestions on a recipe to use the following quantities of hops:

5 gallon:
Chinook 4.5oz
Cascade 2.5oz
Citra 1oz
Amarillo 3oz

Any thoughts?

So I'm going to be moving in a few months which gives me just enough time to brew and consume one last batch. I'd like to use all of my hops stored in my fridge. Some are a bit old (9mos), so the flavor might not be as strong anymore. They've been refrigerated the whole time, so they should be okay. They're all in pellet form. I'd like to use them all for this IPA so I don't have any left over. Any suggestions on a recipe to use the following quantities of hops:

5 gallon:
Chinook 4.5oz
Cascade 2.5oz
Citra 1oz
Amarillo 3oz

Any thoughts?
My house IPA uses these hops. I do a mash of 80% 2 Row, 7% Munich,C20 and C60. 2% sugar. Bitter with Chinook, then 15 min additions of Amarillo, Cascade and Centennial. 5 min or whirlpool addition of Amarillo then dry hop with Simcoe, but maybe you can reserve some Amarillo for that.

In my 5 gal batch, the additions are only 18g each except for the dry hop which is 2oz.
When I upsize to a 7.5gal batch, the additions are full ounce each. Comes in around the mid 60s for IBU (tinsith).

I don't know how you could jam 4+ oz of Chinook in there without making something undrinkable. Maybe in a dry hop, but I haven't ever used it that way.

Cheers!

I don't know your intended OG, but mine would be ~ 1.050, and would use this schedule.
1- set aside 1 oz ea for dry hop
2- 30 min- 1 oz Chinook
5 min- 1 oz Chinook and Cascade
0 min - 1 oz Chinook, cascade , and amarillo
3- At flame out chill to 170* in less then 10 min then add the rest off your hops and continue whirlpooling for ~ 30 min.

So I build my hop schedule backwards , with my late addition IBU's calculated first. If I were you and wanted to use all of the hops I would raise the OG until the BU:GU ratio is where you want it. Just that if the OG gets too high you won't be able to consume it before the move, but think about firing that beer off at the house warming.

Back