Killing hole saws on Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micycle

Reaction score
Turning an upright freezer into a keezer and when trying to drill out the holes for the faucets. The problem I'm getting at now is killing hole saws; I've worn down more material off of the hole saw than off of the freezer door. not sure what material the saw was, just an older one laying around, but I figured I might as well ask about what type I should buy to replace it.

I used the cheapest Harbor Freight hole saw bits... no damage to them.

Get some "3 in 1 oil" and keep saw and surface lubed while cutting through metal. Works like a charm and saves your bits!

I used the cheapest Harbor Freight hole saw bits... no damage to them.

Get some "3 in 1 oil" and keep saw and surface lubed while cutting through metal. Works like a charm and saves your bits!

I used the harbor freight one and it got the job done...barely. Wore it down, but I didnt use grease, should have.

Just tried a metal grade bit on it and it worked flawlessly. I guess the last one wasn't metal grade. Thanks!

I bought a 6 piece Ridgid hole saw kit that was for wood/metal at Home Depo for around $40. I use it for other projects so for me the price wasn't a bad investment, and it's still very sharp despite drilling a bunch of holes through metal and wood.

hey for $6 on sale harbor freight is the BOMB they have $4 (reg price) set too that includes a 2.5"

I'm lucky I a HF here in town!

Ya I got the $4 and some cents kit too. Got the job done which was all that matters.

"3 in 1" oil helps save the cheap & expensive bits! cut ply & plastic top after metal and still cut clean! (I was worried about plastic trim top!)

Posting build pics in next week

Even regular vegetable cooking oil will do the trick for most metals, just use it liberally and you won't have a problem.

Dunno I just have a normal old hole saw, and it takes some pushing but makes its way through the door eventually. If I could just figure out a good way to get the cut out disc of fridge door out of the hole saw, I'd be good.

Dunno I just have a normal old hole saw, and it takes some pushing but makes its way through the door eventually. If I could just figure out a good way to get the cut out disc of fridge door out of the hole saw, I'd be good.

Had that problem in a serious way when I made some bottle boards. Seventy-two holes, and each one was a pain to get the plug out of the saw. Most of the saws I've bought have a slot or two in the sides or a hole in the top for that purpose. Does yours?

Had that problem in a serious way when I made some bottle boards. Seventy-two holes, and each one was a pain to get the plug out of the saw. Most of the saws I've bought have a slot or two in the sides or a hole in the top for that purpose. Does yours?

Screw a drywall screw into the plug and grab it with plyers. Yank!

Screw a drywall screw into the plug and grab it with plyers. Yank!

Who you callin' Yank? I'm 90 miles North of the end of the USA. BTW, that's what I was called when I was in Australia, usually right before someone put a beer in front of me. Nice folks down under.

Mine has the holes, but the disc got past the holes somehow. I like the screw idea. And I'm the Yank, right?

yeah, I had a smililar prob. I just gave disk a whack with a hammer or put a nail through the holes in the back of the bit and tapped out from there. Got disck angled up and pulled with needle nose. a little 3 in 1 oil helped too (esp getting some on inside of bit before cutting)

Back