Kids, gotta love em..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just1pepsi

Reaction score
Weizenbeer, still in active ferment, was coming through the air lock this morning so I jammed my blowoff tube in the carboy and put the other end in a bucket of sterile water. Get home tonight to find the tube leaking what once was krausen on the floor with obvious evidence that my preschooler or toddler or both was trying to help me out... No idea if they tried to blow in the tube or what, swmbo did not know any of this went on. I suspect its ok, as its still bubbling quite a bit and the krausen has sunk. How tolerant is it at this stage to unintentional malicious molestation by my curious kiddos? Lol

I agree. You should be good to stick an airlock on the fermenter by now. As for the foreign microbes introduced via the mouth of a toddler, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your yeast had a good healthy ferment, so they were "the big bug on the block." if any bacteria did manage to get into the beer the yeast would rob it of food and kill it. Who knows, you may have just discovered your "house flavor."

[email protected]

Haha, I did put a regular airlock back on and suspect no harm done. Still bubbling away this morning, big bubbles every three seconds or less so I'm not worried.

update: Everything is fine. I did a gravity reading yesterday, came in at 1.012 - smells strong and like beer - Very Malty flavor profile - Gonna give it another week and re-check it out. Love germ paranoia.

Back