Kids and keezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I have a keezer again after a long hiatus, but this time, I have a 3 and 2 year old. The 3 year old I think I can have a talk with and not worry, but the for the next year or so I worry the 2 year old might open some of my taps on the keezer. I (and them) piddle a lot in the garage/outside, so the opportunity is there.

I was wondering if they make some sort of faucet plug. I'm picturing the growler filler piece:

k346.jpg

But having solid ends on both sides. Maybe 3 hard orings on it to hold it in place? Would that even work? I assume those black plastic caps don't stay on if you open faucet?

Anybody else deal with this? An alternative would be to have a bungee cord go across the tap handles while attached to each side of keezer. It would still allow me (and child) to open tap, but the plan would be for bungee to automatically push it back closed.

I know they make those locks, but those are pricey, and would be a PITA to use daily.

I went with a tower design due to grandchildren :)

10+ psi of hydraulic pressure will surely test the tenacity of anything slipped over or stuffed in a faucet.
Those black plastic spout covers are quickly launched with just a cracked faucet lever (bt/dt lots of times).
This year I installed Intertap return springs in my half dozen Perlick 525ss faucets and they really cut down inadvertent cover launches due to bumped handles.
They won't stop a youngster but would be a stealthy equivalent of your bungie solution.

I think the locks or a home-cobbled equivalent are the only sure bets...

Cheers!

I ran across something pretty cool and high-tech that would solve your problem. It appears to be a DIY type system, though I may be wrong about that. It appears to be a little overkill if all you want is some locking method to keep kids out.

https://brewskey.com/

On their website it says:
Secure Your Beer
Make sure uninvited guests, children, or your enemies cannot pour from your keg. Brewskey uses a robust permissions system to allow your guests to pour. You can even set a limit on how much they can pour!

Wow brewskey is pretty sweet. Lots of functionality with that set up. Doesn't expand much on multiple taps though, just says you need expansion kit.

DayTripper, so the intertap springs fit the Perlick 525? I briefly read some other threads on there that they don't. That is a perfect solution, and really, seems that should be an option on any home system. I have bumped them open in the past while working on the keezer.

Yes, they totally fit the 525ss. I stuck the fat end in first and they really do work great.
Two thumbs up to Intertap for producing them - and to some unremembered HBTer for letting us know they fit his Perls...

Cheers!

I have a tap tower on my keezer as well, but if I didn't, and there were kids around the house, the faucets would be covered or locked. There are lots of places on the net where you can buy beer faucet locks .

I'm sold on the springs. Adventures in homebrewing, $2 ea plus $3 shipping, can't beat it. This will help my other concern of dripping. My faucets drip about once every 10 seconds for about a minute or two before finally stopping. This will hopefully stop that.

You could put a lock bar or lock box over your taps. As simple or elaborate as you can cook up.

To a 2-6 year old there's little more exciting than pulling a lever and watch liquids spill out. Then the hissing sound from an emptied keg is another adventure.

I considered the locks, but that would be several hundred dollars for 6 taps.. break even on that would be pushing 10 kegs lost! Those springs have been ordered. They will go in this weekend.

Removing handles: that's actually not a bad idea, probably hard for a little 2-3 year hand to open it without the handle (and way less likely my clumsy self will open them while working in the space). Maybe I'll do that for the next year or so (in addition to springs) to ensure no inadvertent open taps.

Totally new to this but could you put valves on interior side of shank

I suppose you could. That would involve opening lid to open valve every time you want a pour, then closing valve and lid.

I will add: I do already open/close valve on regulator every time. It's just habit. I'm just afraid to leave it all open, I've emptied a tank or two before! tanks are sitting outside keezer, so it's not much effort to do this.
So thinking about this, if kid did open tap, it would only pour out so much before there wasn't enough pressure in the tank to continue dispensing.

I suppose you could. That would involve opening lid to open valve every time you want a pour, then closing valve and lid.
just until the little one loses interest in the taps.
the 2 year old will grow accustomed to them being there and not even see them soon enough.

a flow control faucet that totally stops flow

Genuinely curious: is there such a beast?
When I look at the exploded parts view of a Perlick 650 or an Intertap FC there aren't any o-rings or gaskets around the compensator to effect an actual seal.
Looks like just metal-on-metal at best...

Cheers!

I considered the locks, but that would be several hundred dollars for 6 taps.. break even on that would be pushing 10 kegs lost! Those springs have been ordered. They will go in this weekend.

Removing handles: that's actually not a bad idea, probably hard for a little 2-3 year hand to open it without the handle (and way less likely my clumsy self will open them while working in the space). Maybe I'll do that for the next year or so (in addition to springs) to ensure no inadvertent open taps.

The "regular" commercial tap locks are ridiculously expensive, costing more than a Perlick SS flow control faucet, and each only locks one tap at a time. But with some craftyness a piece of SS rod (or steel rebar) can secure all the taps at once and prevents any of them from being pulled. Alternatively, a box over the taps puts them out of reach (and sight).

Agreed, educating and training the kiddos not to touch daddy's stuff should suffice. That may change when they bring the neighbor's kids or friends from school home.

I’m just spitballing here, so this might be a useless suggestion. Would it be possible to install a simple inline ball valve inside the keezer on each beer line? When you want to “secure” the taps, just switch them closed and then there’s no worry of any accidental spillage beyond a few drops.

Just a thought...feel free to shoot down.

Genuinely curious: is there such a beast?
When I look at the exploded parts view of a Perlick 650 or an Intertap FC there aren't any o-rings or gaskets around the compensator to effect an actual seal.
Looks like just metal-on-metal at best...

Cheers!

several reviews of the 650 on morebeer say it does.

"I have three of these. They are the first and only tap faucets I've ever owned. Here's one thing that the marketing brochures don't tell you (but should)...

Not only do the flow control levers work great and eliminate the need to adjust your hose length, but they also work as a safety lock!

There have been several occasions where I or someone else would accidentally bump the tap handles and turn the faucet on without any glass under it. Since I make sure I turn the levers down (off) after every pour, there's no need to worry about accidental spills. With longer tap handles (i.e. 12"), it doesn't take much force to accidentally turn them on from a bump."

I’m just spitballing here, so this might be a useless suggestion. Would it be possible to install a simple inline ball valve inside the keezer on each beer line? When you want to “secure” the taps, just switch them closed and then there’s no worry of any accidental spillage beyond a few drops.

Just a thought...feel free to shoot down.
The third post links a concept/device that is basically this, but instead of manual valves, it's controlled electronically through an app.

Simple metal cover that doubles as your drip tray. Hinged down. When up it is locked to a hasp. Any metal shop could bend it up cheap... Could make a backer that mounts on the freezer lid to lock it to... simple, done right it would look nice, probably under $100...

Latest posts

Back