Weissbier "Kick you in the face Banana Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do want to express though that I was expecting more banana flavor...BUT, I did something very different that might have affected the banana's play in the brew. In the secondary, While the banana floated at the top of the carboy, I gave the entire carboy a couple good spins, kind of swooshing it all around and down. I did this maybe 2 times a day, sometimes everyday, sometimes every couple of days. But I noticed that right after swooshing it around, the yeast started feeding like crazy and the banana started fizzing, bubbling through the airlock crazy-like for another 5 minutes or so. Eventually, after a week or so, it was as if the yeast was completely eating up the banana, as the volume of banana floating at the top considerably decreased by the end of the secondary.

Most of those bubbles where probably just CO2 offgassing. Swirling likely gave the bubbles some new nucleation points and forced a little bit of the gas out of the solution. A lot of folks witness this when dry hopping with pellets. Lots of bubbling as new places for the bubbles to form are introduced into the beer.

Best beer I have brewed according to friends. I would recommend this to everyone! I called mine Banana Hammock and it is a perfect beer to sit back and relax in the sun, on a beach, or just in the yard.

BH.png

I switched this up a bit and went with a dunkelweizen recipe instead. Was planning on racking to the secondary with bananas after 1 week, but the krausen has not fallen. Should I wait until it falls or go ahead and rack it anyway?

All grain recipe anyone?? Didn't see one in the thread. Very interested in this. Odd Side Ales, a local brewer here in West MI has one called Lolly Catcher (was Banana Hammock but I think they ran into probs putting that on the label.) Sooo very good.

I went to my LHBS and they converted everything for my BIAB so we will see how this comes out. Only different is I am going to split the two batches into just banana and then the only 2.5 gal into a peanut butter banana using PB2. Will post results, brewing it tomorrow.

I went to my LHBS and they converted everything for my BIAB so we will see how this comes out. Only different is I am going to split the two batches into just banana and then the only 2.5 gal into a peanut butter banana using PB2. Will post results, brewing it tomorrow.

Could you post the recipe?

Ya. I brewed it Saturday. It is fermenting right now. It has take. A few days to really get the fermentation but it is really working it's magic now.

I will post the recipe this afternoon. Have about 10 days or so until I will have a flavor profile for everyone.

Ya. I brewed it Saturday. It is fermenting right now. It has take. A few days to really get the fermentation but it is really working it's magic now.

I will post the recipe this afternoon. Have about 10 days or so until I will have a flavor profile for everyone.

I'm looking to do a split batch of this next weekend - looking forward to your upcoming recipe. Thanks!

It didn't turn out so good yet. Very little flavor but I am assuming it was a mistake with not enough grain. My LHBS gave me very little grain so I am going back Tuesday to grab a new batch and retry this all.

brewed it up and had it bottled. after two weeks in bottles it has good banana smell but poor banana taste. not good mouth feel and the taste is sharp, not sour but sharp. gonna let it sit in bottles for another week or two and try again but right now its a no go for me. i'll try again at a later date.

I am a total noob and have only brewed pre made kits. But I am interested in this one. How do I account for the bananas and chocolate in beersmith?

Did anyone try the AG with good results? Interested in doing this. Just don't know how to convert it to AG!

I just wanted to stop by and say that I tried my hand at this recipe not too long ago, and had my second tasting last night, 3 weeks after bottling. It's quite nice, although the carb did get a bit cold during fermentation as the temperature here dropped in early October.

In my case, the banana almost entirely resides in the aroma. If I hold my nose and take a drink I can't taste it whatsoever. I get a whiff of it as I take a swig, and then again after the swallow. The taste profile actually has the slightest bitterness to it followed by some citrus-y notes, almost a banana peel type flavor. The mouthfeel was very nice and smooth.

What I think contributed to this a bit is that the bananas that went into the primary were fairly ripe before they were boiled and pitched, but the secondary bananas barely had any ripening spots on the outside of the peels when they went into their boil. Likewise, the ones that went into the primary were almost entirely metabolized by the time I racked, and in the secondary much less so.

I also took a note from KeeptheDrive, and added 3 vanilla beans to the secondary carb hoping to get a bit of secondary or tersiary flavor from them which did not end up coming through. I split the beans lengthwise and then cut them into thirds before pitching into the secondary during the rack.

I know this is a fairly old thread, but any tips would be appreciated on how to get the banana flavor to come through more. It didn't come out quite as I had expected, but it was still delicious and I plan to make another attempt at this sometime in the future when the weather turns warm again. As it is, It's definitely a beer I could see myself sitting and drinking all night during the summer, but I feel it would be a tad more enjoyable if the banana flavor was a bit more present.
:ban:

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

That high fermentation temp is what gives you a lot of the banana flavors. Try and keep it around 73F for the entire ferment. If that doesn't work, add more to the fermenter; that's where you get the flavor from. It sounds like the banana nose is dead on for you already do I don't think you need any more in the secondary.
I also think the bitterness is probably from the vanilla beans - they're a bitter plant after all. Maybe use less? I've not tried it with vanilla beans yet so I can't say.

Ah, cool. Thanks for taking the time man.

I had my stout running in my other carb at the time and the temp setting was already a compromise since it had a lower ferm temp. I think the lowest it got at one point was 67-68 which freaked me out a bit, but I tried to keep it around 70. Regardless, that makes a lot of sense.

I don't think I'll do the vanilla again next time...it's possible a bit of the bitterness came from them, but I tend to think that if it had I would have gotten some other taste notes from it as well which simply aren't there (unless that's also a product of low ferm temps).

Would like to chime in. I just started my latest batch of my 3068 Hefe with Honey Malt, and set aside 2 Gallons brewed with the intention to put bananas (or something) into it. Have a bunch of frozen bananas ready to use. My plan is to peel them and throw in the food processor, then add to the 2 gallon experimental bucket after 7 days fermenting. Would welcome any comments, suggestions before i chuck them in.

Should i save for Secondary? I usually dont secondary with my hefeweisens, bottling after 2 weeks of primary for max yeasty goodness, but am open to other ideas.

I love banana esters and tend to ferment on the high side of temp range to maximize, hoping the bananas further add to the flavor.

It seems like its been a mixed bag adding bananas, both by themselves and with spices. Those who have added bananas with cinnamon or vanilla, did you like the results, or does the banana come through on its own?

I will post results of what I end up doing, but brewed the batch on saturday, so the wheels are in motion

Hello guys, just wanted to add me two cents to this and relate my experience. I've done two batches of Chocolate Banana Heffe after a desert that people eat in El Salvador.

I've kept it pretty simple and achieved a Choco-Banana flavor
ready-to-freeze.jpg

Basic Extract:

8# Wheat Extract
4 oz American choclate
3 oz Black malt

Warmer ferm temp with Heff yeast

I am very new to brewing having done some malt kits from supermarkets, but I badly want to make this since I love Wells Banana bread beer.

Would this work?
2x BRIESS WHEAT DME 3LB
1x CARAPILS 1 LB
1x WLP300 HEFEWEIZEN ALE YEAST
2x CZECH SAAZ 1 OZ

Why was the hops seperated into two 1oz portions boiled at different durations?
How do I brew this can anyone give me a rough outline?
Is WLP300 the top yeast to get a strong banana taste?
Can I add some banana extract to boost the banana taste even further?

Sorry for being such a noob and asking so many questions but I want to learn to brew this to perfection.

The reason I separated the hops is because the longer you boil hops the more bitters you get but the less flavors. Splitting the hips will give you more flavor and more bitters (though I'm bit using the hips for much of each in this recipe).
The yeast, and more importantly the temperature, I chose for the banana flavors.
You can add flavors. I've never used them so I can't speak too much about that.
I would suggest you buy/read How to Brew by John Palmer. It's a fantastic read and will answer most if not all of your brewing questions: www.howtobrew.com

:::: edit :::::
Just wanted to mention that Wells Banana Bread beer is a flavors ale and this is a banana hefeweizen. Both are banana flavored beers, but they're different styles and this will nut result in a bee that taste like that

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Actually first time brewer too.

I love hefewizens, especially the ones with the banana flavor. I recently ordered the one gallon home brew starter kit from northern brewer as well as this hefewizen kit http://www.northernbrewer.com/bavarian-hefeweizen-1-gallon-recipe-kit?gclid=Cj0KEQiA6vS2BRDH8dq06YDHz_IBEiQAzNdBmdVfDb32tFGlZ5KQpBB9lC_DISIFrvvNzuS4F6DBIucaAqh18P8HAQ. I'd really like to get as much banana flavor in this one as I could. Would I be able to follow the banana part of the recipe on the first page of this thread along with this kit and make it work? I also wouldn't be able to do a secondary fermentation. How would that differ? Anything you could tell me would really help me out. I'd love to be able to get a nice banana hefe as my first brew. As much details as you can give me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Actually first time brewer too.

I love hefewizens, especially the ones with the banana flavor. I recently ordered the one gallon home brew starter kit from northern brewer as well as this hefewizen kit http://www.northernbrewer.com/bavarian-hefeweizen-1-gallon-recipe-kit?gclid=Cj0KEQiA6vS2BRDH8dq06YDHz_IBEiQAzNdBmdVfDb32tFGlZ5KQpBB9lC_DISIFrvvNzuS4F6DBIucaAqh18P8HAQ. I'd really like to get as much banana flavor in this one as I could. Would I be able to follow the banana part of the recipe on the first page of this thread along with this kit and make it work? I also wouldn't be able to do a secondary fermentation. How would that differ? Anything you could tell me would really help me out. I'd love to be able to get a nice banana hefe as my first brew. As much details as you can give me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

You could do a "secondary" fermentation in your primary fermentation vessel, just add your bananas after about a week or so of fermentation.
You may be short on room though to add bananas to a one-gallon jug if that is what you are using.

Latest posts

Back