Kettle valve screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discokid2k

Reaction score
Does any one have a picture of exactly how they retrofit their kettle valves with a screen? Here is what I made, works great but I need help filtering. Last brew got horribly clogged while trying to push wort through my chiller.

I am thinking of adding the mesh from a toilet hose. I have multiple dethreaded but I cannot grasp how to attach it. Anyone got a photo I can look at?

IMG_0316.jpg

I second what kuphish suggested. If you're not going that route though and really want to use the braided line, then you still need to get a coupler to attach the braid to. To connect it, a stainless clamp would work...but you're going to want to replace it every once in a while to ensure that it is not rusting.

Ahhhh....much thanks! I was getting worried! I should have known about the AHBS- I order everything through them. Lucky for me, the fitting is the perfect size and seems easily duplicated. Thank you!

MPCLUEVER- Do you have a picture of your false bottom?

Drawtap and Kuphish- Yeah, I would like to purchase a screen rather than make one. Don't get me wrong, the kettle valve was easy but I think I will just pay for this one.

I bought a kettle screen and have had zero problems using it on ten brews. Simple to use and under $20...

I bought that kettle screen and it got clogged all to hell when I made an IPA with lots of whole hops, so I made a hop spider. I don't know if its bad luck or bad technique i use a march pump and I was pushing through the CFC. Maybe I had my flow open to wide and it caused them all to suck to the screen. Anyway not trying to thread jack just my two cents.

RTL: See I have heard of these pumps but I have not been able to locate one yet. I was having flow problems period. My set up has no pump, just gravity fed but I have only had one decent flow out of three brews thus far. The latest brew was a belgian with some orange peel that I found clogging my lines after giving up and dumping through a strainer. The other time I am not sure what the problem was, the wort would just not flow through my system.

I have a different chiller method though. I run my wort through my chiller instead. I know the uproar (sanitation, etc, etc) but trust me, I am thorough. I have two changes to try: 1 is an obvious kettle screen. 2 is reducing the amount of copper tubing to help the gravity. How do you like the pump? Any pics, etc? Feedback?

Kuphish; I am ordering tonight:mug: I seriously cannot believe with the many, many hours I stare at the AHBS website and I never found that screen. ****!

Drawtap and Kuphish- Yeah, I would like to purchase a screen rather than make one. Don't get me wrong, the kettle valve was easy but I think I will just pay for this one.

Without a doubt. Sometimes just buying what you need is well worth it.

Thank you brewers! Glad I finally got people talking. Ordered my screen and am patiently awaiting so I can get my kolsch on! Aaaaah, where would I be without HBT?

discokid2k said:
RTL: See I have heard of these pumps but I have not been able to locate one yet. I was having flow problems period. My set up has no pump, just gravity fed but I have only had one decent flow out of three brews thus far. The latest brew was a belgian with some orange peel that I found clogging my lines after giving up and dumping through a strainer. The other time I am not sure what the problem was, the wort would just not flow through my system.

I have a different chiller method though. I run my wort through my chiller instead. I know the uproar (sanitation, etc, etc) but trust me, I am thorough. I have two changes to try: 1 is an obvious kettle screen. 2 is reducing the amount of copper tubing to help the gravity. How do you like the pump? Any pics, etc? Feedback?

Kuphish; I am ordering tonight:mug: I seriously cannot believe with the many, many hours I stare at the AHBS website and I never found that screen. ****!

I love the pumps they are amazing and even with using fittings that people say restrict flow I find myself reducing flow with the ball vales anyway. I got them from more beer.com it's spendy but oh so worth it to be single tier. Unfortunately the price went up since I bought mine. Also orient the input so it faces the floor and you won't have many priming or cavitation issues.

If you are going with that screen I strongly recommend a hop spider. If you buy all the parts from lowes or HD its around $15 since you probably already have a bag from steeping grains. There are great threads on here how to build them with parts lists. If you're picky you can order the parts on amazon to make an all stainless version for about $25, but the only thing that touches the wort is the bag.

Pump

image-1810158322.jpg

Ghetto hop spider

image-1609468063.jpg

The whole thing

image-3591853989.jpg

I love the pumps they are amazing and even with using fittings that people say restrict flow I find myself reducing flow with the ball vales anyway. I got them from more beer.com it's spendy but oh so worth it to be single tier. Unfortunately the price went up since I bought mine. Also orient the input so it faces the floor and you won't have many priming or cavitation issues.

If you are going with that screen I strongly recommend a hop spider. If you buy all the parts from lowes or HD its around $15 since you probably already have a bag from steeping grains. There are great threads on here how to build them with parts lists. If you're picky you can order the parts on amazon to make an all stainless version for about $25, but the only thing that touches the wort is the bag.

Pump

View attachment 69999

Ghetto hop spider

View attachment 70000

The whole thing

View attachment 70001

RTL- Thanks for the pictures. I am in the process of building the spider and a thermostat for my mini fridge. Poor thing is working 24/7 on my back porch with these TX summers. I will try to post pictures of the completed projects but I have been travelling lately for work so it may take some time.

It's a false bottom... Nothing special. Same as what you'd use in a mash tun. Doesn't cover the whole bottom, just enough to filter some hops.

Ahh. I see. Well then I am in the process of making a false bottom. Im over my lines getting clogged.

Latest posts

Back